Unable to connect We couldn't connect to the remote PC. Make sure the PC is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled. Error code:
Error Code 0x204 Screenshot:
Reason for the error 0x204
There could be multiple reasons that can cause you the error when trying to RDP a machine running Windows 8/10/11 Operating System via a Windows Server or a Mac running macOS/Linux.
Let's take a look at some common reasons and fixes,
Reason 1: RDP is disabled on the Server
The most common reason is that access to external connections is disabled on the system you are trying to RDP.Fix:
- Open Run dialog and type SystemPropertiesRemote.exe and press enter,
- Go to Remote tab and select both,
Allow remote connections to this computer
[Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication (recommended)
- Click Apply and OK.
- Retry RDP.
Reason 2: Make sure Windows Defender Firewall allows Remote Desktop Connection
The other most common reason for not being able to RDP is the Windows Defender Firewall is not allowing the Remote client to RDP into the host system by blocking it.Fix:
Under Control Panel: Check under Firewall -> Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall settings to see Remote Desktop is allowed for Private and Public access.
Reason 3: Do you have 3rd party Firewall/Anti-virus
If the first two options didn't work, then check if you have a 3rd party Firewall installed along with an Anti-Virus, if yes, try disabling it for a few minutes and check if it works. If it does, make sure to add an exception to allow this RDP connection.
If this happens to be an organizational/company system, there would be a restriction that is set by your ORG System Admin, contact them to see if they can help or provide you an exception.
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- Lost your iPhone? Regenerate QR Code for Microsoft Authenticator App
- What is Microsoft 365 Message You are using more licenses on your trial than what you will purchase once the free trial ends.
- Power BI error Something went wrong, unable to read the application metadata
- How to save a file as csv in Windows Notepad?
- You're not on Teams yet, but you can set it up for your organization. [Microsoft Teams Login Error]
- Fix- Microsoft Word Pages Appear Black
- How To Remove Only Conditional Formatting in Excel
- How to record PowerPoint slide show presentation on Mac - narration, slide timings, ink gestures
- Fix 0x80070194 Error When Opening Microsoft OneDrive File
- 0xCAA20003: You ran into an authorization problem. [Microsoft]
- PowerShell git: The term git is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet
- Remove mailto link from Microsoft 365 Word Document Email Text
- How to take a screenshot on Microsoft Windows OS on PC or Laptop
- How to Force Quit Microsoft Excel Application on Mac
- [fix] Microsoft Error Code 0x80004005 - Unspecified error
- How to Delete a Sheet in Excel on Mac
- How to add Business Users using Microsoft 365 Admin Center
- [Microsoft Teams 4c7] Modern authentication failed here, but you'll still be able to sign in. Your status code is 4c7 error
- Fix Microsoft Store Error Code: 0x80072EFD
- How to add Data Analysis Add-in in Excel on Mac
- How to Select Two Separate Columns in Excel on Mac
- Internet Explorer browser auto redirect to Microsoft Edge for compatibility with modern web sites
- How to Create Absolute References in Microsoft Excel for Mac
- What is FCM Messages Test Notification! [Microsoft Teams] [Google Hangouts]
- How to Sync Microsoft Teams Calendar with Mac Calendar
- Android EditText Cursor Colour appears to be white - Android
- Fix: rust-analyzer failed to discover workspace [Visual Studio Code] - Rust
- How to mute all sounds in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- How to make Text in TextView bold and italic in Android - Android
- Fixing Android unknown error 961 while downloading app - Android
- F2 Key Cell Editing Alternative for Excel for Mac - Windows
- Setting up Spring Boot 3 + Maven + MySQL + JDBC Example - Java
- NewApi error : Finds API accesses to APIs that are not supported in all targeted API versions - Android