Unable to connect We couldn't connect to the remote PC. Make sure the PC is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled. Error code:
Error Code 0x204 Screenshot:
Reason for the error 0x204
There could be multiple reasons that can cause you the error when trying to RDP a machine running Windows 8/10/11 Operating System via a Windows Server or a Mac running macOS/Linux.
Let's take a look at some common reasons and fixes,
Reason 1: RDP is disabled on the Server
The most common reason is that access to external connections is disabled on the system you are trying to RDP.Fix:
- Open Run dialog and type SystemPropertiesRemote.exe and press enter,
- Go to Remote tab and select both,
Allow remote connections to this computer
[Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication (recommended)
- Click Apply and OK.
- Retry RDP.
Reason 2: Make sure Windows Defender Firewall allows Remote Desktop Connection
The other most common reason for not being able to RDP is the Windows Defender Firewall is not allowing the Remote client to RDP into the host system by blocking it.Fix:
Under Control Panel: Check under Firewall -> Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall settings to see Remote Desktop is allowed for Private and Public access.
Reason 3: Do you have 3rd party Firewall/Anti-virus
If the first two options didn't work, then check if you have a 3rd party Firewall installed along with an Anti-Virus, if yes, try disabling it for a few minutes and check if it works. If it does, make sure to add an exception to allow this RDP connection.
If this happens to be an organizational/company system, there would be a restriction that is set by your ORG System Admin, contact them to see if they can help or provide you an exception.
Have Questions? Post them here!
- Microsoft Office Excel - Couldnt Open the Workbook - The workbook cannot be opened.
- [Fix] Microsoft AADSTS900561: The endpoint only accepts POST requests. Received a GET request.
- Remove Possible Data Loss Message from Microsoft Excel
- [Fix] Cannot connect to Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456
- Microsoft Stream - This may not be for you, It looks like you don't have permission to watch this video
- How to fix Microsoft Windows 10 update error 80070020
- Outlook - The mailbox isn't available. This may have occurred because the license for the mailbox has expired.
- [Fix] Connect to Minecraft Remote Connect URL via https //aka.ms/remoteconnect
- AADSTS90033: A transient error has occurred. Please try again. [Microsoft 365]
- Fix Power Automate FLOW error - InvalidTemplate Unable to process template language expressions in action
- FCM Messages! Testing Notifcation from Microsoft to investigate this problem [Microsoft Teams]
- Remove mailto link from Microsoft 365 Word Document Email Text
- How to turn off Dark theme in Excel for Mac
- Microsoft Sign-in Error Code: 50058 (Request Id, Correlation Id and Timestamp)
- Fix 0x80070194 Error When Opening Microsoft OneDrive File
- [fix] Microsoft Error Code 0x80004005 - Unspecified error
- Fix - Microsoft Windows Error Code: 0xA00F4244 NoCamerasAreAttached
- Save a Notepad file as Microsoft Excel file
- MO229507 UK Europe users cannot access Microsoft 365 - SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams, Admin center, Planner, Yammer
- How to know file encoding in Microsoft Windows Notepad?
- How to save a file as csv in Windows Notepad?
- Microsoft Office Mac Ventura: System Settings must be changed before Microsoft AutoUpdate can run
- Fix Error CAA50021 - Number of retry attempts exceeds expectation - Microsoft 365 Apps
- Microsoft 365 Excel - PRO TIP Discover insights quickly with Power BI, which is already included in your Microsoft services, See it in action
- [Microsoft Teams 4c7] Modern authentication failed here, but you'll still be able to sign in. Your status code is 4c7 error
- How to install Packages in Sublime Text Editor - Sublime-Text
- MySQL : Error :1000 SQLSTATE: HY000 (ER_HASHCHK) Message: hashchk Server Error - MySQL
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net - SharePoint
- Convert Java Array to ArrayList Code Example - Java
- Notepad++ Mark and Copy feature - NotepadPlusPlus
- List of Code Snippets/Templates to Eclipse IDE - Eclipse
- How to stop/start/restart apache server using command [Ubuntu] - Ubuntu
- Show Android Studio Emulator in a Separate Window - Android-Studio