Unable to connect We couldn't connect to the remote PC. Make sure the PC is turned on and connected to the network, and that remote access is enabled. Error code:
Error Code 0x204 Screenshot:
Reason for the error 0x204
There could be multiple reasons that can cause you the error when trying to RDP a machine running Windows 8/10/11 Operating System via a Windows Server or a Mac running macOS/Linux.
Let's take a look at some common reasons and fixes,
Reason 1: RDP is disabled on the Server
The most common reason is that access to external connections is disabled on the system you are trying to RDP.Fix:
- Open Run dialog and type SystemPropertiesRemote.exe and press enter,
- Go to Remote tab and select both,
Allow remote connections to this computer
[Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication (recommended)
- Click Apply and OK.
- Retry RDP.
Reason 2: Make sure Windows Defender Firewall allows Remote Desktop Connection
The other most common reason for not being able to RDP is the Windows Defender Firewall is not allowing the Remote client to RDP into the host system by blocking it.Fix:
Under Control Panel: Check under Firewall -> Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall settings to see Remote Desktop is allowed for Private and Public access.
Reason 3: Do you have 3rd party Firewall/Anti-virus
If the first two options didn't work, then check if you have a 3rd party Firewall installed along with an Anti-Virus, if yes, try disabling it for a few minutes and check if it works. If it does, make sure to add an exception to allow this RDP connection.
If this happens to be an organizational/company system, there would be a restriction that is set by your ORG System Admin, contact them to see if they can help or provide you an exception.
Have Questions? Post them here!
- Microsoft Stream - This may not be for you, It looks like you don't have permission to watch this video
- Fix - 412 Cookies Are Disabled error in Exchange Admin Center when you click hybrid
- Free and easy audio video screen recording using Microsoft PowerPoint
- How to Sync Microsoft Teams Calendar with Mac Calendar
- Graph API error when querying BookingBusinesses - ErrorExceededFindCountLimit, The GetBookingMailboxes request returned too many results
- M365 service Europe outage - AADSTS90033 A transient error has occurred. Please try again.
- You're not on Teams yet, but you can set it up for your organization. [Microsoft Teams Login Error]
- [Fix] Connect to Minecraft Remote Connect URL via https //aka.ms/remoteconnect
- What is Microsoft 365 Message You are using more licenses on your trial than what you will purchase once the free trial ends.
- Microsoft Sign-in Error Code: 50058 (Request Id, Correlation Id and Timestamp)
- What is FCM Messages Test Notification! [Microsoft Teams] [Google Hangouts]
- Fix 0x80070194 Error When Opening Microsoft OneDrive File
- Visual Studio Code available for Apple Mac ARM64 build for native M1 processor support
- Fix: Microsoft OneDrive We are currently experiencing technical difficulties
- How to save a file as csv in Windows Notepad?
- PowerShell git: The term git is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet
- [Fix] Microsoft Remote Desktop Error Code: 0x204
- [Fix] Microsoft 53003 Error
- Fix Microsoft Store Error Code: 0x80072EFD
- Customize Praise badge for Microsoft Teams with own images, values, brand
- Keyboard shortcuts to format Source code in Microsoft Visual Studio Code IDE
- How to fix Microsoft Windows 10 update error 80070020
- How to add Business Users using Microsoft 365 Admin Center
- 0xCAA20003: You ran into an authorization problem. [Microsoft]
- How to record PowerPoint slide show presentation on Mac - narration, slide timings, ink gestures
- Get the Size of HTTP Response using cURL Command (Content Length) - cURL
- Tutorial Java SOAP WebServices JAS-WS with Eclipse J2EE IDE and Tomcat Server Part 1 - Java
- Python Sleep Function/Method Code Example - Python
- How to make macOS Terminal window Transparent (or Opaque) - MacOS
- Get Client IP address from HTTP Response in Java - Java
- [Fix] java: integer number too large compilation error - Java
- How to resolve Certificate Expired WhatsApp Error - WhatsApp
- Detect Data roaming in Android Application - Android