If you have installed Windows 10 or 11 (22H2) on a Virtual Machine on your M1/M2 Mac using Virtualization tool such as Parallels or UTM and when you try to install Ubuntu (Linux) on it you get an error like below,
Installing, this may take a few minutes... WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102 Please enable the Virtual Machine Platform Windows feature and ensure virtualization is enabled in the BIOS. For information please visit https://aka.ms/enablevirtualization Press any key to continue... [process exited with code 1 (0x00000001)] You can now close this terminal with Ctrl+D, or press Enter to restart.
Well the reason for this error is that you are trying to run WSL2 "Virtual Machine Platform" inside another virtual machine, this is called a "Nested Virtualization" situation.
Solution to WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102
One easy way to fix this error on Parallels or UTM (QEMU) is that use WSL1 instead of WSL2.
Simply run the below command in the Windows 10/11 Terminal/CMD.
wsl --set-default-version 1 The operation completed successfully.
Next you can try to launch Ubuntu to complete the installation.
PS C:\Users\Sam> ubuntu Installing, this may take a few minutes... Please create a default UNIX user account. The username does not need to match your Windows username. For more information visit: https://aka.ms/wslusers Enter new UNIX username: dev New password: Retype new password: passwd: password updated successfully Installation successful! To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo
". See "man sudo_root" for details. Welcome to Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.4.0-23545-Microsoft aarch64) * Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com * Management: https://landscape.canonical.com * Support: https://ubuntu.com/advantage This message is shown once a day. To disable it please create the /home/dev/.hushlogin file.
This is not an AI-generated article but is demonstrated by a human on a Windows 11 on a Virtual Machine on a M1 Mac running macOS Sonoma 14.0.
Please support independent contributors like Code2care by donating a coffee.
Buy me a coffee!
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- Windows 365: Restore Deleted Distribution Group using Admin Center (Active Directory)
- How to Make a Windows Notepad File Read-Only
- Enable Cloud Based Clipboard for Images and Text on Windows 10/11
- Read file from Windows CMD (Command Line)
- Fix: This file is set to read-only. Try again with a different file name. [Windows 10/11]
- Top 5 Fonts for Windows Notepad
- Cannot access Windows application shortcuts on Start menu and Taskbar
- [Solution] WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x80370102 VM on Mac
- Fix Windows Update Error Code: 0x80070643
- Fix: Windows 10/11 Update Install Error - 0x80070103
- Change the Size of History in Windows Terminal (Updated for Windows 11)
- How to Know Version of Windows Terminal
- How to do a Print Screen on Windows 11 to Screencapture
- How to Set PowerShell as Default Shell on Windows Terminal
- How to know the version and Device ID of OneDrive on Mac
- How to Press a Enter in Cell for New Line on Microsoft Excel on Mac
- Minecraft Fix: Error: UNKNOWN code: Deep Ocean - Something went wrong in the login process
- [Fix] Microsoft Windows OneDrive 0x8007018b Error Code
- How to Change the Default Shell in Windows Terminal App
- Fix: Failed in attempting to update the source: winget
- [Fix] Microsoft Windows Store error 0x00000005 (Windows 8/10/11)
- Fix: Windows Update Error Code: 0x800f0922
- Fix: Error code: 0x204 Microsoft Remote Desktop - Unable to connect the remote PC.
- Shortcut to Open Snipping Tool on Windows and Take Screenshot
- Grep Alternative for Windows CMD or PowerShell: findstr
- Fix: Unsupported Java. Your build is currently configured to use Java 17.0.5 and Gradle 7.1. - Gradle
- AI-900: Microsoft Azure AI Fundamentals Exam: Quick Revision Notes - Microsoft
- How to find the Length of ArrayList in Java - Java
- Draw Anything Anywhere - Free Online Drawing Canvas - Tools
- MySQL Query for Schema/Structure of a Table - MySQL
- CentOS Cannot find a valid baseurl for repo base7x86_64 yum - HowTos
- How to install Java OpenJDK 11 on Alpine Linux - Java
- How to open new Terminal using Bash Command - Bash