Microsoft Edge is a cross-platform web browser by Microsoft which can be used with Windows and Linux OS, Xbox, Android, iOS, macOS. Edge also includes integrates well with Cortana and has extensions hosted on the Microsoft Store.
Microsoft is making configuration changes with Edge version 87 to address compatibility issues when users navigate to incompatible public sites while using Internet Explorer 11.
IE 11 has been popular and still supported, but many modern websites are not compatible, Edge is the star Microsoft browser and way forward.
Why this change ?
The configuration change will help fix a broken experience when users visit specific public sites in Internet Explorer 11. Incompatible sites display a message "Please update your browser - We don't support this browser version anymore. Using an updated version will help protect your accounts and provide a better experience" and ask to update your browser.
When will this happen ?
On November 19 2020
When you upgrade to Microsoft Edge 87 stable version.
What will happen ?
When users visit a public site known to be incompatible with IE 11, user will be redirected to Microsoft Edge. On first redirect, users will be asked if they would like to import browsing data and preferences from IE 11. Further redirects will display a closable banner with additional options and information.
Users will be shown the one-time dialog explaining why they are getting redirected and prompt for consent to copy the browsing data and preferences from Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge. (Favorites, Passwords, Search engines, open tabs, History, settings, cookies, and the Home Page.)
Even if user does not give consent by checking "Always bring over my browsing data and preferences from Internet Explorer", they can click Continue browsing to continue the session. Finally, a website incompatibility banner, shown in the next screenshot, appears below the address bar for every redirection. This will encourage users to switch to Microsoft Edge.
Some websites no longer work with Internet Explorer. We recommend switching to Microsoft Edge completely for an uninterrupted experience.
Set as default browser.
Explore Microsoft Edge.
Does this change my default browser ?
No, will impact only devices with new Microsoft Edge previously installed and will only be activated when a user navigates to an incompatible public site while using Internet Explorer 11.
Can I block this change ?Yes you can block the configuration change.
- Before updating to Microsoft Edge Stable version - Set the RedirectSitesFromInternetExplorerRedirectMode policy to Enabled
After updating to Microsoft Edge Stable version
Set the RedirectSitesFromInternetExplorerRedirectMode policy to Disabled
Set the RedirectSitesFromInternetExplorerPreventBHOInstall policy to Enabled
- ADMX updates after October 26, 2020.
- Intune updates after November 9 2020.
More information on this from Microsoft can be found here.
- Lost your iPhone? Regenerate QR Code for Microsoft Authenticator App
- What is Microsoft 365 Message You are using more licenses on your trial than what you will purchase once the free trial ends.
- Power BI error Something went wrong, unable to read the application metadata
- How to save a file as csv in Windows Notepad?
- You're not on Teams yet, but you can set it up for your organization. [Microsoft Teams Login Error]
- Fix- Microsoft Word Pages Appear Black
- How To Remove Only Conditional Formatting in Excel
- How to record PowerPoint slide show presentation on Mac - narration, slide timings, ink gestures
- Fix 0x80070194 Error When Opening Microsoft OneDrive File
- 0xCAA20003: You ran into an authorization problem. [Microsoft]
- PowerShell git: The term git is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet
- Remove mailto link from Microsoft 365 Word Document Email Text
- How to take a screenshot on Microsoft Windows OS on PC or Laptop
- How to Force Quit Microsoft Excel Application on Mac
- [fix] Microsoft Error Code 0x80004005 - Unspecified error
- How to Delete a Sheet in Excel on Mac
- How to add Business Users using Microsoft 365 Admin Center
- [Microsoft Teams 4c7] Modern authentication failed here, but you'll still be able to sign in. Your status code is 4c7 error
- Fix Microsoft Store Error Code: 0x80072EFD
- How to add Data Analysis Add-in in Excel on Mac
- How to Select Two Separate Columns in Excel on Mac
- Internet Explorer browser auto redirect to Microsoft Edge for compatibility with modern web sites
- How to Create Absolute References in Microsoft Excel for Mac
- What is FCM Messages Test Notification! [Microsoft Teams] [Google Hangouts]
- How to Sync Microsoft Teams Calendar with Mac Calendar
- Types of brackets used in Programming Languages - Codes - 2022
- How to sort a List using Lambda in Python - Python
- Setting Expire Time - EX EXAT PX PXAT and KEEPTTL with Spring Boot + Redis - Java
- JSON Datatypes : Tutorial - Json-Tutorial
- How to disable SharePoint subsite creation option for owners - SharePoint
- [Fix] Microsoft Windows Store error 0x00000005 (Windows 8/10/11) - Windows
- Installing vue.js in Laravel 8 - PHP
- Steps to Delete or Deactivate Instagram Account - HowTos