Microsoft Edge is a cross-platform web browser by Microsoft which can be used with Windows and Linux OS, Xbox, Android, iOS, macOS. Edge also includes integrates well with Cortana and has extensions hosted on the Microsoft Store.
Microsoft is making configuration changes with Edge version 87 to address compatibility issues when users navigate to incompatible public sites while using Internet Explorer 11.
IE 11 has been popular and still supported, but many modern websites are not compatible, Edge is the star Microsoft browser and way forward.
Why this change ?
The configuration change will help fix a broken experience when users visit specific public sites in Internet Explorer 11. Incompatible sites display a message "Please update your browser - We don't support this browser version anymore. Using an updated version will help protect your accounts and provide a better experience" and ask to update your browser.
When will this happen ?
On November 19 2020
When you upgrade to Microsoft Edge 87 stable version.
What will happen ?
When users visit a public site known to be incompatible with IE 11, user will be redirected to Microsoft Edge. On first redirect, users will be asked if they would like to import browsing data and preferences from IE 11. Further redirects will display a closable banner with additional options and information.
Users will be shown the one-time dialog explaining why they are getting redirected and prompt for consent to copy the browsing data and preferences from Internet Explorer to Microsoft Edge. (Favorites, Passwords, Search engines, open tabs, History, settings, cookies, and the Home Page.)
Even if user does not give consent by checking "Always bring over my browsing data and preferences from Internet Explorer", they can click Continue browsing to continue the session. Finally, a website incompatibility banner, shown in the next screenshot, appears below the address bar for every redirection. This will encourage users to switch to Microsoft Edge.
Some websites no longer work with Internet Explorer. We recommend switching to Microsoft Edge completely for an uninterrupted experience.
Set as default browser.
Explore Microsoft Edge.
Does this change my default browser ?
No, will impact only devices with new Microsoft Edge previously installed and will only be activated when a user navigates to an incompatible public site while using Internet Explorer 11.
Can I block this change ?Yes you can block the configuration change.
- Before updating to Microsoft Edge Stable version - Set the RedirectSitesFromInternetExplorerRedirectMode policy to Enabled
After updating to Microsoft Edge Stable version
Set the RedirectSitesFromInternetExplorerRedirectMode policy to Disabled
Set the RedirectSitesFromInternetExplorerPreventBHOInstall policy to Enabled
- ADMX updates after October 26, 2020.
- Intune updates after November 9 2020.
More information on this from Microsoft can be found here.
- Yup! I see this as well, I normally use IE11 to open up Teams, but today it redirected me to Edge browser saying "The website you were trying to reach doesn't work with Internet Explorer".
30 Nov 2020 16:11:21 GMT
- Further comments disabled!
- Microsoft Office Excel - Couldnt Open the Workbook - The workbook cannot be opened.
- [Fix] Microsoft AADSTS900561: The endpoint only accepts POST requests. Received a GET request.
- Remove Possible Data Loss Message from Microsoft Excel
- [Fix] Cannot connect to Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456
- Microsoft Stream - This may not be for you, It looks like you don't have permission to watch this video
- How to fix Microsoft Windows 10 update error 80070020
- Outlook - The mailbox isn't available. This may have occurred because the license for the mailbox has expired.
- [Fix] Connect to Minecraft Remote Connect URL via https //aka.ms/remoteconnect
- AADSTS90033: A transient error has occurred. Please try again. [Microsoft 365]
- Fix Power Automate FLOW error - InvalidTemplate Unable to process template language expressions in action
- FCM Messages! Testing Notifcation from Microsoft to investigate this problem [Microsoft Teams]
- Remove mailto link from Microsoft 365 Word Document Email Text
- How to turn off Dark theme in Excel for Mac
- Microsoft Sign-in Error Code: 50058 (Request Id, Correlation Id and Timestamp)
- Fix 0x80070194 Error When Opening Microsoft OneDrive File
- [fix] Microsoft Error Code 0x80004005 - Unspecified error
- Fix - Microsoft Windows Error Code: 0xA00F4244 NoCamerasAreAttached
- Save a Notepad file as Microsoft Excel file
- MO229507 UK Europe users cannot access Microsoft 365 - SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams, Admin center, Planner, Yammer
- How to know file encoding in Microsoft Windows Notepad?
- How to save a file as csv in Windows Notepad?
- Microsoft Office Mac Ventura: System Settings must be changed before Microsoft AutoUpdate can run
- Fix Error CAA50021 - Number of retry attempts exceeds expectation - Microsoft 365 Apps
- Microsoft 365 Excel - PRO TIP Discover insights quickly with Power BI, which is already included in your Microsoft services, See it in action
- [Microsoft Teams 4c7] Modern authentication failed here, but you'll still be able to sign in. Your status code is 4c7 error
- How to add password to pdf file for opening, editing, printing, copying - HowTos
- Default speed of Marquee tag : SCROLLAMOUNT - Html
- Microsoft Office Mac Ventura: System Settings must be changed before Microsoft AutoUpdate can run - Microsoft
- [Notepad++] Remove CR Carriage Return and LF Line feed (CRLF) - NotepadPlusPlus
- Android : Unable to load VM from snapshot : Mac OS X Error - Android
- How to Organize Mac Desktop Files - MacOS
- [Fix] java.time.zone.ZoneRulesException: Unknown time-zone ID - Java
- Calculate Volume of Cylinder - C-Program