Notepad++ is the most popular Text Editor for the Windows Operating System, one of its widely used features of it is text compare.
If you do not see the Compare tool under the Plugins menu, then you would need to install it using the Plugin Admin (Manager) - follow this tutorial to install it - https://code2care.org/q/notepad-plus-plus-compare-option-unavailable
How to compare two files in Notepad++
- Open Notepad++,
- Open the 1st file you want to compare in one tab,
- Open the 2nd file you want to compare in another tab,
- If you have multiple tabs open, be on the 1st file and go to Plugins -> Compare -> Set as first to compare.
- Now go the 2nd file tab and goto Plugins -> Compare -> Compare.
- You should be able to see the files compared with the differences.
As you can see in the above example, as soon as you click on Compare, the Notepad++ Window is split into two halves with files side-by-side to show how the two files are different.
The Compare Nav Bar shows you color heatmap of the differences between files which comes in handy when there are huge files that you are trying to compare.
In the next example, we have auto-arranged to match files line-by-line and you can see various colors and icons to represent the missing line, extra line, and line that varies a bit - you can check it out under Compare -> Settings.
Set as First to Compare: Ctrl+Alt+1 Compare: Ctrl+AIt+C Clear Active Compare: Ctrl+Alt+X Clear All Compares: CtrI+ Alt+ Shift + X Diff since last Save: Ctrl+Alt+D SVN Diff: Ctrl+Alt+V Git Diff: Ctrl+Alt+G Ignore Spaces Detect Moves Navigation Bar Previous: Alt+ Page up Next: Alt+Page down First: Ctrl+Alt+ Page up Last: Ctrl+Alt+Page down
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- Notepad++ Editor alternatives for macOS
- How to add or remove bookmark on a line in Notepad++
- Notepad++ do not show CRLF characters
- Reduce the size of Tabs on Notepad++
- Delete blank lines in a file using Notepad++
- Fix: Notepad++ bottom status bar not visible
- Notepad++ Hex Editor
- How to show End of Line Characters in File using Notepad++
- [Tutorial] Write And Run Python Code In Notepad++ Editor
- How to install XML Tools Plugin Notepad++
- Customizing Notepad++ New Document Line Encoding: CR/LF/CR LF
- How to remove blank lines from a file using Notepad++
- Column Mode Editing in Notepad++
- Convert text to random case using Notepad++
- How to recover unsaved notepad file Windows 10
- How to delete all text after a character or string in Notepad++
- Setting up Cloud feature with Notepad++
- Install Notepad++ silently using Windows Powershell
- Using Document Map in Notepad++
- Enabling Notepad++ Dark Theme
- [Fix] Notepad++ tab not visible (hidden)
- Where are Notepad++ macros stored?
- Multiple line editing in Notepad++
- Alternatives for Notepad++ on Mac in 2021
- [Nopepad++] How to add text at end of each line
- 17: Find Factorial of a Number - 1000+ Python Programs - Python-Programs
- The Quick Analysis Tool in Excel for Mac? - MacOS
- [fix] MySQL cj jdbc CommunicationsException: Communications link failure - Java
- Android RatingBar Example - Android
- How to Convert String to DateTime in Python - Python
- Python: Create CSV file from a List Values - Python
- How to check if a Command Exists using Bash Script - Bash
- [fix] White Screen when open Teams on Windows - Teams