Notepad++ is the most popular Text Editor for the Windows Operating System, one of its widely used features of it is text compare.
If you do not see the Compare tool under the Plugins menu, then you would need to install it using the Plugin Admin (Manager) - follow this tutorial to install it - https://code2care.org/q/notepad-plus-plus-compare-option-unavailable
How to compare two files in Notepad++
- Open Notepad++,
- Open the 1st file you want to compare in one tab,
- Open the 2nd file you want to compare in another tab,
- If you have multiple tabs open, be on the 1st file and go to Plugins -> Compare -> Set as first to compare.
- Now go the 2nd file tab and goto Plugins -> Compare -> Compare.
- You should be able to see the files compared with the differences.
As you can see in the above example, as soon as you click on Compare, the Notepad++ Window is split into two halves with files side-by-side to show how the two files are different.
The Compare Nav Bar shows you color heatmap of the differences between files which comes in handy when there are huge files that you are trying to compare.
In the next example, we have auto-arranged to match files line-by-line and you can see various colors and icons to represent the missing line, extra line, and line that varies a bit - you can check it out under Compare -> Settings.
Set as First to Compare: Ctrl+Alt+1 Compare: Ctrl+AIt+C Clear Active Compare: Ctrl+Alt+X Clear All Compares: CtrI+ Alt+ Shift + X Diff since last Save: Ctrl+Alt+D SVN Diff: Ctrl+Alt+V Git Diff: Ctrl+Alt+G Ignore Spaces Detect Moves Navigation Bar Previous: Alt+ Page up Next: Alt+Page down First: Ctrl+Alt+ Page up Last: Ctrl+Alt+Page down
Have Questions? Post them here!
- Notepad++ hex editor Examples
- Are Windows Notepad files recoverable?
- How to add or remove bookmark on a line in Notepad++
- How to rename a tab in Notepad++
- Go to Line Number option in Windows Notepad
- How to Apply Themes to Notepad++
- Notepad++ Save Failed - Please check if this file is opened in another program.
- Encode/Decode URL Query String in Notepad++
- Remove duplicate lines using Notepad++
- Add comma or semicolon at end of each line Notepad++
- How to open Notepad?
- Where are Notepad++ macros stored?
- How to check about details of Notepad++ text editor
- Notepad++ Export file as HTML
- Indent/Prettify HTML File in Notepad++
- Notepad++ Reload - This file has been modified by another program. Do you want to reload it?
- List of Programming Languages Supported by Notepad++
- Notepad++ Editor alternatives for Mac OS X
- Add Custom header and footer to Windows Notepad file
- How to un-hide tab bar in notepad++
- Notepad++ is about to exit prompt message
- Launch Notepad++ html document in any web browser
- Word wrap text in Notepad++
- Disable Control Scroll Zoom-in and Zoom-out in Notepad++
- Word count in Notepad++
- Create SharePoint Site Collection using PowerShell New-SPSite - SharePoint
- Fix zsh: permission denied: script.sh - zsh
- Gradle FAILURE: Build failed with an exception - Task not found in root project - Gradle
- Microsoft 365 Excel - PRO TIP Discover insights quickly with Power BI, which is already included in your Microsoft services, See it in action - Microsoft
- How to Convert String to DateTime in Python - Python
- Move Copy Migrate SharePoint OneDrive files folders to different site collection location - SharePoint
- Column Mode Editing in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- Force convert HTML text input to upper case - Html