If you have a use case wherein you want to add a line number before each line, you can do that using Column Editor in Notepad++ text Editor.
- Open a file or be on the tab where you want to insert line numbers,
- Be at the start of the line from where you want to prefix line numbers (advance: better to do a Multi-Column Select),
- Go to Menu: Edit -> Column Editor,
- Select: Number to Insert
- Add: Initial number: 1
- Add: Increase by:
- Select Leading zeros if you want them.
- Click OK
A B C D E F G H I J K
01 A 02 B 03 C 04 D 05 E 06 F 07 G 08 H 09 I 10 J 11 K
This is not an AI-generated article but is demonstrated by a human on a Windows 11 device.
Please support independent contributors like Code2care by donating a coffee.
Buy me a coffee!
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- How to hide toolbar on Notepad++
- Change the default Line Encoding Notepad++ (CR LF)
- Notepad++ is about to exit prompt message
- How to force quit or kill Notepad++ Process
- Add Blank Lines Between Each Lines in Notepad++
- Install Notepad++ silently using Windows Powershell
- Prettify JSON in Notepad++
- Notepad++ Convert text from lower to upper case
- Must have CSV Plugins for Notepad++
- How to lock Notepad++ tabs?
- Column Mode Editing in Notepad++
- How to change background color in Notepad++
- Notepad++ sort by name with example
- How to rename a tab in Notepad++
- [Solved] Notepad++ Menu Bar Missing
- Where are Notepad++ temp unsaved files stored?
- Notepad++: How to add Quotes to CSV File
- How to check about details of Notepad++ text editor
- How to close all tabs of Notepad++?
- How choose alternate Tab Bar icon in Notepad++
- How to copy file name and path to clipboard in Notepad++
- Change default language highlighting in Notepad++
- Add Line Number before each line in Notepad++ using Column Editor
- Go to Line Number option in Windows Notepad
- How to show End of Line Characters in File using Notepad++
- Notepad++: How to add Quotes to CSV File - NotepadPlusPlus
- How to Open .bash_profile file in Mac Terminal - MacOS
- How to enable line numbers in IntelliJ Android Studio for all files - Android-Studio
- Whats new in Python 3.10 Pre-release - Python
- [Solution] Android Studio does not displays Toolbar in Layout Design - Android-Studio
- [Fix] java: incompatible types: incompatible parameter types in lambda expression error - Java
- How to Set Background Wallpaper on macOS 13 Ventura - MacOS
- How to revert a single file from Git Repo - Git