As a developer, one may end up opening a lot of files in Notepad++ which can eventually make it hard to find the required files that you may need at the moment.
It is a common scenario where someone works on multiple related files at once and does not need other files. Session is one such feature that comes in very handy in such scenarios.
What is a Session in Notepad++?
- The paths of the open files.
- The active file tab
- The current selection and position in the file.
- The current bookmarks.
- The current language.
A Session in Notepad++ is a set of files to be opened in at once. These files do not have to be in the same directory or even on the same drive.
When you save a session, the following details are saved,
When you load such a session, all the above information is loaded back into Notepad++
How to Work with Sessions in Notepad++
You can load or save sessions in Notepad++ by going to Menu: "File > Load Session..." and "Save Session..." respectively.
|File > Load Session…||This option is used to load an existing session.|
|File > Save Session…||This option is used to save the currently open files as a session.|
Let's open two files and save them as a session.
The session file is nothing but a small XML file with all file paths and meta details about the file.
When you click on Load Session... and open this session.xml file, all the files in this session will be opened.
This is not an AI-generated article but is demonstrated by a human on an M1 Mac running Windows 11 as VM and Notepad++ v8.5.6.
Please support independent contributors like Code2care by donating a coffee.
Buy me a coffee!
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- Notepad++ Editor alternatives for macOS
- How to add or remove bookmark on a line in Notepad++
- Notepad++ do not show CRLF characters
- Reduce the size of Tabs on Notepad++
- Delete blank lines in a file using Notepad++
- Fix: Notepad++ bottom status bar not visible
- Notepad++ Hex Editor
- How to show End of Line Characters in File using Notepad++
- [Tutorial] Write And Run Python Code In Notepad++ Editor
- How to install XML Tools Plugin Notepad++
- Customizing Notepad++ New Document Line Encoding: CR/LF/CR LF
- How to remove blank lines from a file using Notepad++
- Column Mode Editing in Notepad++
- Convert text to random case using Notepad++
- How to recover unsaved notepad file Windows 10
- How to delete all text after a character or string in Notepad++
- Setting up Cloud feature with Notepad++
- Install Notepad++ silently using Windows Powershell
- Using Document Map in Notepad++
- Enabling Notepad++ Dark Theme
- [Fix] Notepad++ tab not visible (hidden)
- Where are Notepad++ macros stored?
- Multiple line editing in Notepad++
- Alternatives for Notepad++ on Mac in 2021
- [Nopepad++] How to add text at end of each line
- How to Quit Applications on Mac Using Terminal - MacOS
- Quick way to setup AWS DynamoDB locally on macOS - AWS
- FCM Messages Test Notification!!!! - Microsoft Teams, Google Hangouts push alert - News
- Hide Navigation Bar from Android Screen Activity - Android
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application - SharePoint
- How to install Python on Ubuntu - Ubuntu
- Notepad++ Export file as HTML - NotepadPlusPlus
- How to install Python Specific version (3.8, 3.9 or 3.10) using Brew - Python