The user receives the error message 'URL is invalid' while uploading the file to SharePoint Online or SharePoint 2013 document library. The problem is not limited to any specific file format, it may occur with Docx, xlsx, pdf, others.
The URL [file name] is invalid. It may refer to a nonexistent file or folder, or refer to a valid file or folder that is not on the current Web.
How to fix URL is invalid SharePoint errorVersion Column
The problem may occur when the Version column is configured as an Indexed Column. Remove the Version column from the list of Indexed Columns to fix.
- Navigate to the library/list with problem.
- From Ribbon --> Library tab --> Library Settings.
- Click Fields --> Indexed Columns.
- Click Indexed Columns --> Version.
- Click Delete --> click OK.
- Re-upload the problematic file again.
The problem may occur when the default value for date column is incorrect, maybe an invalid format. Make sure the value for the date/time filed is in the expected format.
Make necessary changes and re-try, the file should be uploaded now.
The problem maybe sometimes with the file itself and not the contents. Copy the contents to a new file and try uploading, this works in many cases.PE| More help with ULS logs
If you still can't figure out the problem, check SharePoint logs (C:\Program files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\LOGS) or ask Microsoft support to provide you the logs, deep dive into the logs to find the issue and fix. Contact Microsoft Support for further help
Have Questions? Post them here!
- PowerShell - How to use Try Catch Finally blocks for error exception handling (Windows/SharePoint)
- SharePoint List excel import - This table exceeds the maximum number of supported rows
- Update SharePoint Online List Item using REST API, HTML, Spfx, Postman
- Fix SharePoint Error - The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started
- SharePoint list excel import error - Title is a required filed and can't be empty
- Move Copy Migrate SharePoint OneDrive files folders to different site collection location
- Create SharePoint list from Excel spreadsheet and import table
- Send Email using SharePoint PowerShell command, SMTP server
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell
- The service instance
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- New-SPLogFile PowerShell - create new SharePoint log file
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- SharePoint Server 2016 Preview installation error - This Product Key isn't a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Product Key. Check that you've entered it correctly.
- How to change order of fields on new item form for SharePoint Online list
- Update Created By (Author) column of SharePoint document using PowerShell
- How to delete SharePoint Online List Item using REST API
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- Create SharePoint Site Collection using PowerShell New-SPSite
- How to customize SharePoint Modern list form using JSON formatting
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- SharePoint excel error - A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator.
- How to create SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.net
- How to Get or Set SharePoint Document ID _dlc_DocId using PowerShell
- error: file not found: HelloWorld.java - Java
- The Date Command and its usage [Linux - Unix - macOS] - Linux
- SharePoint Managed Metadata Hidden Taxonomy List - TaxonomyHiddenList - SharePoint
- Git: Delete Branch Locally and Remotely at Origin - Git
- Change Max and Min Value of Android Seekbar Programmatically - Android
- Get the current timestamp in Java - Java
- Hyperlink in html (anchor tag) without a underline - Html
- How to migrate SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow to Power Automate FLOW (Microsoft Office 365) - SharePoint