A Comparator is a very useful tool for a developer to detect any changes in source code between two versions of a file.
Notepad++ Provides a plug-in to Compare files called Compare with the following features,
- Results displayed Side-by-side in two windows.
- Can compare files from SVN repo.
- Highlight differences inside lines.
- Navigation bar that displays map of compared files.
- Detects lines that are moved.
- Navigate between differences though previous, next , First, Last menu buttons.
- Customizable results presentation.
⚡️ A comparator plug-in is not available by default in Notepad++ application, you need to download this app.
Installing Compare plug-in
- Goto Menu -> Plugin ->Show Plugin Manager
- Under Plugin Manager Available tab, look for Compare, Select Compare check-box and install.
- Notepad++ will re restarted so do save unchanged files.
- When Application reloads you would see Compare option under Plugins Menu.
- Now open two files that you want to compare, and go-to Plugins -> Compare -> Compare
- The Notepad++ Window splits into two and Compare results are displayed.
How to read Comparator results :
- Green coloured line indicates Line which is added to the New Version of the File (Green + sign at the line number).
- Red/Pink coloured line indicates Line which is deleted (Red + sign at line number).
- Blue/Dark Greyish coloured line indicates Line which is moved.
- Yellow coloured line indicates Line which is changed.
- Light Grey line indicates Line which is Blank.
⛏️ You can change these colour options through Menu -> Compare -> Option
Comparator plug-in is released under GNU General Public License version 3.0 (GPLv3)
Plugin webpage : http://npp-compare.sourceforge.net/
- Base64 Encoding Decoding In Notepad++
- Disable Control Scroll Zoom-in and Zoom-out in Notepad++
- Unable to edit file in Notepad++
- Change default language highlighting in Notepad++
- Notepad++ Convert text from lower to upper case
- Notepad++ Editor alternatives for Mac OS X
- Add Custom header and footer to Windows Notepad file
- Word wrap text in Notepad++
- 97 Useful Notepad++ Keyboard Shortcuts
- Replace tabs by spaces or comma Notepad++
- Notepad++ Dark Theme
- How to Convert CSV file to SQL Script using Notepad++
- How to Enable spellcheck Notepad++
- How to remove blank lines from a file using Notepad++
- Portable Notepad++ for windows
- Add Text at Start and End of Each Line Notepad++
- Launch Notepad++ html document in any web browser
- How to recover unsaved notepad file Windows 10
- Add blank lines after each lines using Notepad++ text editor
- Multiple line editing in Notepad++
- Compare two files in Notepad++
- Setting up Cloud feature with Notepad++
- Delete blank lines in a file using Notepad++
- Word count in Notepad++
- [Notepad++] Remove CR Carriage Return and LF Line feed (CRLF)
- Hide files and folders on Mac OS X - Mac-OS-X
- Android : Execute some code after back button is pressed - Android
- Bootstrap Nav Menu Dropdown on hover - Bootstrap
- Changing Android Intent Tittle using java code - Android
- Share Image and Text on Instagram from Android App using Share Dialog - Android
- Error 404 Tomcat homepage http://localhost:8080/ not displayed - Tomcat
- Hyperlink in html (anchor tag) without a underline - Html
- Change Max and Min Value of Android Seekbar Programmatically - Android
- Channel 50 SMSes received every few minutes Android Phones - Android
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception - SharePoint
- Adding Sub Headings to Bootstrap Header tags - Html
- How to insert image into Google Sheets cell - Google
- [IRCTC] Indian railways official eRail API 1.1 for developers to get train info - HowTos
- Add Text at Start and End of Each Line Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- Android AlertDialog Programatically Example - Android