A Comparator is a very useful tool for a developer to detect any changes in source code between two versions of a file.
Notepad++ Provides a plug-in to Compare files called Compare with the following features,
- Results displayed Side-by-side in two windows.
- Can compare files from SVN repo.
- Highlight differences inside lines.
- Navigation bar that displays map of compared files.
- Detects lines that are moved.
- Navigate between differences though previous, next , First, Last menu buttons.
- Customizable results presentation.
⚡️ A comparator plug-in is not available by default in Notepad++ application, you need to download this app.
Installing Compare plug-in
- Goto Menu -> Plugin ->Show Plugin Manager
- Under Plugin Manager Available tab, look for Compare, Select Compare check-box and install.
- Notepad++ will re restarted so do save unchanged files.
- When Application reloads you would see Compare option under Plugins Menu.
- Now open two files that you want to compare, and go-to Plugins -> Compare -> Compare
- The Notepad++ Window splits into two and Compare results are displayed.
How to read Comparator results :
- Green coloured line indicates Line which is added to the New Version of the File (Green + sign at the line number).
- Red/Pink coloured line indicates Line which is deleted (Red + sign at line number).
- Blue/Dark Greyish coloured line indicates Line which is moved.
- Yellow coloured line indicates Line which is changed.
- Light Grey line indicates Line which is Blank.
⛏️ You can change these colour options through Menu -> Compare -> Option
Comparator plug-in is released under GNU General Public License version 3.0 (GPLv3)
Plugin webpage : http://npp-compare.sourceforge.net/
- Enabling Notepad++ Dark Theme
- Base 64 Encoding Decoding In Notepad++
- Notepad++ Editor alternatives for Mac OS X
- Replace tabs by spaces or comma Notepad++
- Word wrap text in Notepad++
- How to Convert CSV file to SQL Script using Notepad++
- Add Custom header and footer to Windows Notepad file
- Show Notepad++ tabs in multiple lines instead of scroll on tab bar
- Change default language highlighting in Notepad++
- Delete blank lines in a file using Notepad++
- [Nopepad++] How to add text at end of each line
- Setting up Cloud feature with Notepad++
- Notepad++ Save Failed - Please check if this file is opened in another program.
- Find and Replace Multiple different words with the same word in a text file
- How to un-hide tab bar in notepad++
- Convert text to random case using Notepad++
- Word count in Notepad++
- Compare two text files in Notepad++
- How to check about details of Notepad++ text editor
- How to connect to an FTP or SFTP location using Notepad++
- How do I run HTML file in Notepad? (Windows)
- Where are Notepad++ macros stored?
- How to turn off CR LF CRLF in Notepad++
- Notepad++ Ghost typing Examples
- Add Text at Start and End of Each Line Notepad++
- Flash Player will no longer be supported after December 2020. Turn off [Google Chrome] - Chrome
- SharePoint Server 2016 setup error - A system restart from a previous installation or update is pending. Restart your computer and run setup to continue. - SharePoint
- Disabling Spell Check in Android Studio - Android-Studio
- Turn on off volume change button sounds Mac OS X - Mac-OS-X
- How to remove old 404 pages ulrs from Google crawler - Html