A Comparator is a very useful tool for a developer to detect any changes in source code between two versions of a file.
Notepad++ Provides a plug-in to Compare files called Compare with the following features,
- Results displayed Side-by-side in two windows.
- Can compare files from SVN repo.
- Highlight differences inside lines.
- Navigation bar that displays map of compared files.
- Detects lines that are moved.
- Navigate between differences though previous, next , First, Last menu buttons.
- Customizable results presentation.
⚡️ A comparator plug-in is not available by default in Notepad++ application, you need to download this app.
Installing Compare plug-in
- Goto Menu -> Plugin ->Show Plugin Manager
- Under Plugin Manager Available tab, look for Compare, Select Compare check-box and install.
- Notepad++ will re restarted so do save unchanged files.
- When Application reloads you would see Compare option under Plugins Menu.
- Now open two files that you want to compare, and go-to Plugins -> Compare -> Compare
- The Notepad++ Window splits into two and Compare results are displayed.
How to read Comparator results :
- Green coloured line indicates Line which is added to the New Version of the File (Green + sign at the line number).
- Red/Pink coloured line indicates Line which is deleted (Red + sign at line number).
- Blue/Dark Greyish coloured line indicates Line which is moved.
- Yellow coloured line indicates Line which is changed.
- Light Grey line indicates Line which is Blank.
⛏️ You can change these colour options through Menu -> Compare -> Option
Comparator plug-in is released under GNU General Public License version 3.0 (GPLv3)
Plugin webpage : http://npp-compare.sourceforge.net/
- Add Custom header and footer to Windows Notepad file
- Enabling Notepad++ Dark Theme
- Notepad++ is about to exit prompt message
- Go to Line Number option in Windows Notepad
- How to Convert CSV file to SQL Script using Notepad++
- How to un-hide tab bar in notepad++
- Notepad++ display files on tab bar as horizontal instead of vertical
- Compare two text files in Notepad++
- Column Mode Editing in Notepad++
- Convert SQL to CSV in Notepad++
- List of Programming Languages Supported by Notepad++
- Keyboard shortcut to close tab in Notepad++
- How to open a new tab in Notepad++
- How to Enable spellcheck Notepad++
- Prettify JSON in Notepad++
- Word count in Notepad++
- How to create MD5 digest in Notepad++
- Notepad++ delete lines above or below
- Unable to edit file in Notepad++
- Word wrap text in Notepad++
- Notepad++ Editor alternatives for Mac OS X
- Launch Notepad++ html document in any web browser
- Convert text to random case using Notepad++
- Show Notepad++ tabs in multiple lines instead of scroll on tab bar
- 97 Useful Notepad++ Keyboard Shortcuts
- Base 64 Encoding Decoding In Notepad++
- Where are Notepad++ temp unsaved files stored?
- How to add Date and Time to Windows Notepad File
- How to Apply Themes to Notepad++
- Multiple line editing in Notepad++
- Add comma or semicolon at end of each line Notepad++
- How to know Notepad++ is 32-bit or 64-bit Version
- Notepad++ do not show CRLF characters
- Notepad++ select all above or below lines
- Change default language highlighting in Notepad++
- How to check about details of Notepad++ text editor
- Setting up Cloud feature with Notepad++
- Add Blank Lines Between Each Lines in Notepad++
- How to zoom-in or zoom-out in Windows Notepad
- Replace tabs by spaces or comma Notepad++
- [Nopepad++] How to add text at end of each line
- Using Document Map in Notepad++
- Notepad++ insert a blank line above or below the current line example
- Portable Notepad++ for windows
- How to format or prettify XML in Notepad++
- Android Emulator] ##KBD: Full queue, lose event Error Logs - Android
- PHP drag and drop file upload tutorial using dropzone.js - PHP
- Column Mode Editing in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- Gmail Unable to upload because it is a folder or a package (like an application bundle or RTFD document) - HowTos
- Android Shared Preferences API tutorial - Android
- Notepad++ Dark Theme - NotepadPlusPlus
- Change Mouse Scrolling in Mac OS X - Mac-OS-X
- Android Studio java.net.NoRouteToHostException - Android-Studio
- Error : Invalid key hash.The key hash does not match any stored key hashes - Android
- JSON Schema and Hyper-Schema : JSON Tutorial - Json-Tutorial
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher - SharePoint
- Remove Trailing zeros BigDecimal Java - Java
- Android Studio : Connection Error : Failed to download patch file - Android-Studio
- Find Java JRE Installation location Mac OS X - Mac-OS-X
- Go to Line Number option in Windows Notepad - NotepadPlusPlus