A Comparator is a very useful tool for a developer to detect any changes in source code between two versions of a file.
Notepad++ Provides a plug-in to Compare files called Compare with the following features,
- Results displayed Side-by-side in two windows.
- Can compare files from SVN repo.
- Highlight differences inside lines.
- Navigation bar that displays map of compared files.
- Detects lines that are moved.
- Navigate between differences though previous, next , First, Last menu buttons.
- Customizable results presentation.
⚡️ A comparator plug-in is not available by default in Notepad++ application, you need to download this app.
Installing Compare plug-in
- Goto Menu -> Plugin ->Show Plugin Manager
- Under Plugin Manager Available tab, look for Compare, Select Compare check-box and install.
- Notepad++ will re restarted so do save unchanged files.
- When Application reloads you would see Compare option under Plugins Menu.
- Now open two files that you want to compare, and go-to Plugins -> Compare -> Compare
- The Notepad++ Window splits into two and Compare results are displayed.
How to read Comparator results :
- Green coloured line indicates Line which is added to the New Version of the File (Green + sign at the line number).
- Red/Pink coloured line indicates Line which is deleted (Red + sign at line number).
- Blue/Dark Greyish coloured line indicates Line which is moved.
- Yellow coloured line indicates Line which is changed.
- Light Grey line indicates Line which is Blank.
⛏️ You can change these colour options through Menu -> Compare -> Option
Comparator plug-in is released under GNU General Public License version 3.0 (GPLv3)
Plugin webpage : http://npp-compare.sourceforge.net/
- Notepad++ Editor alternatives for macOS
- How to add or remove bookmark on a line in Notepad++
- Notepad++ do not show CRLF characters
- Reduce the size of Tabs on Notepad++
- Delete blank lines in a file using Notepad++
- Fix: Notepad++ bottom status bar not visible
- Notepad++ Hex Editor
- How to show End of Line Characters in File using Notepad++
- [Tutorial] Write And Run Python Code In Notepad++ Editor
- How to install XML Tools Plugin Notepad++
- Customizing Notepad++ New Document Line Encoding: CR/LF/CR LF
- How to remove blank lines from a file using Notepad++
- Column Mode Editing in Notepad++
- Convert text to random case using Notepad++
- How to recover unsaved notepad file Windows 10
- How to delete all text after a character or string in Notepad++
- Setting up Cloud feature with Notepad++
- Install Notepad++ silently using Windows Powershell
- Using Document Map in Notepad++
- Enabling Notepad++ Dark Theme
- [Fix] Notepad++ tab not visible (hidden)
- Where are Notepad++ macros stored?
- Multiple line editing in Notepad++
- Alternatives for Notepad++ on Mac in 2021
- [Nopepad++] How to add text at end of each line
- Install Python on Alpine Linux - Docker - Docker
- Calculate Sum of List elements using Java Streams - Java
- [fix] URI is not registered (Settings | Languages & Frameworks | Schemas and DTDs) IntelliJ - Java
- Merge multiple zip files without unzipping (extracting) - HowTos
- 9 Ways to Loop Java Map (HashMap) with Code Examples - Java
- Cannot start Android Studio. No JDK found - Android-Studio
- How to turn off Stage Manager - macOS Ventura - MacOS
- How to enable line numbers in IntelliJ Android Studio for all files - Android-Studio