There are many commands that you can make use of on the bash shell to display the contents of a file in the Terminal. Let's take a look at some of the most common ones.
Example: Using cat command
We can make use of cat command to display the contents of a file in Terminal.
bash-3.2$ cat data.txt Date,Temp 1-1-2023,22 2-1-2023,22.3 3-1-2023,22.2 4-1-2023,22.1 5-1-2023,22.3
You can also access the file using absolute path to display it's content.
cat /Users/c2ctech/Desktop/data.txt Date,Temp 1-1-2023,22 2-1-2023,22.3
Example: Using less command
If you have a file that is huge, then you can make use of the less command, this will display the contents of the file page wise with navigation option.
$ less huge_data.txt
Example: Using more command
Again when have a file that is huge, then you can make use of the more command, this will display the contents of the file page wise and you can scroll to view the contents.
$ more huge_data.txt
Example: Using head command
The head command can be used if you just want to display the n-number of lines from top of the file.
$ head -n 10 huge_data.txt
Example: Using tail command
The tail command can be used if you just want to display the n-number of lines from bottom of the file.
$ tail -n 10 huge_data.txt
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- How to use Autocomplete and Autosuggestion in Shell Commands
- Bash How to Save Output of a Command to a Variable
- How to know the current shell you are logged in?
- How to Echo Bash Command to a File
- Bash Command to Get Absolute Path for a File
- How to Split a String based on Delimiter in Bash Scripting
- Bash: Command Line Arguments to Bash Script Examples
- Bash Command to Download a File From URL
- How to check if a Command Exists using Bash Script
- Ways to Increment a counter variable in Bash Script
- Know Bash shell version command
- Bash command to Read, Output and Manipulate JSON File
- Bash Command to Base64 Decode a String
- Bash Command to Check Python Version
- Bash: Command to Find the Length of a String
- What is $$ in Bash Shell Script- Special Variable
- Bash - How to check if a Command Failed?
- List all Username and User ID using Bash Command
- Command to Sort File In Reverse Order [Unix/Linux/macOS]
- bash: netstat: command not found
- Bash Command To Go Back To Previous Directory
- [Fix] bash: script.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
- How to check your IP using bash for Windows?
- Bash Command To Check If File Exists
- Convert String from uppercase to lowercase in Bash
- Understanding and Handling NullPointerException in Java: Tips and Tricks for Effective Debugging - Java
- How to Clear Gradle Cache on Mac - Gradle
- How to restore closed file in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- Python raise error with message example - Python
- What is an Authorization Code Grant? OAuth 2.0 - HowTos
- What are the 8 Primitive Data Types in Java - Java
- Add Line Number before each line in Notepad++ using Column Editor - NotepadPlusPlus
- Find installed Gradle version command - Gradle