If you are on the bash shell and want to know what is the length of a string, then you can make use of the wc command.
bash-3.2$ echo -n "This is my string" | wc -c 17
We need the -n flag or else a new-line character will get added to the length.
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
More Posts related to Bash,
- How to use Autocomplete and Autosuggestion in Shell Commands
- Bash How to Save Output of a Command to a Variable
- How to know the current shell you are logged in?
- How to Echo Bash Command to a File
- Bash Command to Get Absolute Path for a File
- How to Split a String based on Delimiter in Bash Scripting
- Bash: Command Line Arguments to Bash Script Examples
- Bash Command to Download a File From URL
- How to check if a Command Exists using Bash Script
- Ways to Increment a counter variable in Bash Script
- Know Bash shell version command
- Bash command to Read, Output and Manipulate JSON File
- Bash Command to Base64 Decode a String
- Bash Command to Check Python Version
- Bash: Command to Find the Length of a String
- What is $$ in Bash Shell Script- Special Variable
- Bash - How to check if a Command Failed?
- List all Username and User ID using Bash Command
- Command to Sort File In Reverse Order [Unix/Linux/macOS]
- bash: netstat: command not found
- Bash Command To Go Back To Previous Directory
- [Fix] bash: script.sh: /bin/bash^M: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
- How to check your IP using bash for Windows?
- Bash Command To Check If File Exists
- Convert String from uppercase to lowercase in Bash
- How to Copy Entire Directory to another Directory in Linux - Linux
- Command to know the installed Debian version? - Linux
- Calculate Sum of List elements using Java Streams - Java
- Unable to load VM from snapshot. The snapshot has been saved for a different hardware configuration - Android
- How to know if you are on iOS 17 on your iPhone - iOS
- [Fix] Ubuntu E: Unable to locate package sudo error - Ubuntu
- 3 Python program to add two numbers - Python
- Cannot create new Microsoft Team using PowerShell, even as Admin - Teams