If you have a Mac device that's running on macOS, you would already be shipped with Python preinstalled.
To check which version you have, all you need to do is open Terminal application and run the below command to know the version.
python --version Python 2.8.1
If you have a newer version of macOS, then you will need to make use of python3 command or else you will get the error "zsh: command not found: python".
python3 --version Python 3.11.4
List of Python Versions shipped with Macs
macOS Sonoma (14.x): Python 3.9.6 macOS Ventura (13.x): Python 3.9.6 macOS Monterey (12.x): Python 2.1.18 and Python 3.8.9 macOS Big Sur (11.x): Python 3.8.x macOS Catalina (10.15): Python 2.7.x and Python 3.7.x macOS Mojave (10.14): Python 2.7.x and Python 3.7.x macOS High Sierra (10.13): Python 2.7.x and Python 3.6.x macOS Sierra (10.12): Python 2.7.x and Python 3.5.x OS X El Capitan (10.11): Python 2.7.x and Python 3.5.x OS X Yosemite (10.10): Python 2.7.x and Python 3.4.x OS X Mavericks (10.9): Python 2.7.x and Python 3.3.x OS X Mountain Lion (10.8): Python 2.7.x and Python 2.6.x OS X Lion (10.7): Python 2.7.x and Python 2.6.x OS X Snow Leopard (10.6): Python 2.6.x
To update the version of Python, all you need to do is visit the official website for Python: https://www.python.org/downloads/
This will download the latest version of .pkg file that you can double-click to open and install using the instructions.
One other way to get the latest version of Python is by using the package manager homebrew.
How to install homebrew on macOS: Link
brew install python
Note: You need not need to worry about the installation based on Intel/M1/M2 chip, brew will take care of it.
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- Clear Screen shortcut macOS Terminal
- What is macOS Ventura?
- [fix] How to Show file extensions on all files on Mac
- How to Find Where Mac Terminal App is Located?
- AutoSave button not working on Office on Mac (Word, Excel or Powerpoint)
- macOS say command text to speech using various voices and languages
- How to change Ping TTL value on macOS
- Open .bash_profile File in TextEdit using Terminal
- How to know the Safari Version on Mac
- How to Copy full Absolute Path of a File on Mac
- 13.0 MacOS Ventura release date
- Enable spell check in Sublime Text (macOS)
- How to Display Analog Clock on Mac Menu Bar
- How to turn off Location Services macOS Ventura 13
- How to Open VS Code on Mac
- Add Bookmark macOS Safari
- How to Fix cd: too many arguments Error in Terminal: A Step-by-Step Guide
- How to install wget on macOS
- Select Line Number TextEdit on Mac
- Strikethrough Text in Excel for Mac
- How to Enable or Disable Dark Mode on macOS Ventura 13
- How to hide or display Wifi icon in macOS Bug Sur Menu Bar
- How to install Yarn on Mac (macOS)
- How to fix command not found brew (bash, zsh) on macOS Terminal
- How to Schedule Mails in macOS Ventura
- Java XML-RPC java.net.BindException: Address already in use - Java
- Brew Error - This command updates brew itself and does not take formula names - HowTos
- How to Check for Not None in Python Programming - Python
- How to generate ssh key? - HowTos
- Outlook - The mailbox isn't available. This may have occurred because the license for the mailbox has expired. - Microsoft
- Online XML Code Formatter (Prettify) Tool - Tools
- How to Skip or Ignore JUnit test cases in Java - Java
- Fix: pip install mysqlclient error: subprocess-exited-with-error - MySQL