⛏️ Fix [Today] volatile function error for SharePoint calculated field current dateWe trick SharePoint here by creating a dummy column to capture current date and overcome the volatile functions error for calculated column formula. This trick works for all SharePoint versions - MOSS, SharePoint 2010, SharePoint 2013, SharePoint 2016, SharePoint 2019 and SharePoint Online (Microsoft Office 365).
- Create a new column called Today (Single line of text).
- Create a calculated column, name it anything you want, say 'CurrentDate'.
- In the formula, insert the column you created previously 'Today'.
- Set the data type to 'Date and Time'.
- Set the Date and Time format to 'Date Only'. You can even select Date & Time if you would want to use hours/minutes as well.
- Now delete the 'Today' column you created in first step. Don't worry, just go ahead.
- Add the 'CurrentDate' column to your view and check the value.
- You should see today's date in there.
- Modify the formula as required, you can use the column Today just like the function [Today] without any issues.
⚡️ Important - Calculated columns by design do not update the values automatically, the value updates only when the list item is modified/updated.
So if you go back to the view at a later point, you will still see the old date (the day when you set the formula) being referred in the formula.
We urge you to use Power Automate / FLOW to update the list item values instead of using calculated columns if you want the values to update on regular basis.
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and Merge-SPlogfile
- SharePoint list excel import error - Title is a required filed and can't be empty
- Send Email with attachment using SharePoint PowerShell, SMTP server
- Sharepoint errors were found when compiling the workflow
- How to update SharePoint List Item programmatically
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Get-ADUser PowerShell - Get AD user details using email address
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- How to migrate SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow to Power Automate FLOW (Microsoft Office 365)
- Notepad++ Convert text from lower to upper case - NotepadPlusPlus
- Difference between using Scanner Class and String args for user input in Java - Java
- How to Change Eclipse Default Web Browser - Eclipse
- Facebook : Warning: Request without access token missing application ID or client token - Facebook
- How to recover unsaved notepad file Windows 10 - NotepadPlusPlus
- This Toast was not created with Toast.makeText() : Android RuntimeException - Android
- Maven Unsupported major.minor version 51.0 - Java
- Toast not getting displayed Android App - Android
- How to reset eclipse layout - Android
- Upload docx file using PHP script - PHP
- Comprehensive 256 Ascii code table with Html Hex IBM Microsoft Key - Html
- reCAPTCHA Implementation Tutorial - CSS
- import servlet API to eclipse project (javax.servlet cannot be resolved error) - Java
- Android: Unknown error code during application install : - Android
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception - SharePoint