If you try to create a calculated column in SharePoint which contains [Today] or [Me] functions, you will be greeted with below error.
Sorry, something went wrong
Calculated columns cannot contain volatile functions like Today and Me.
Best approach to fix this and use Today's/Current Date in formulaWe trick SharePoint here by creating a dummy column to capture current date. This trick works for all SharePoint versions - MOSS, SharePoint 2010, SharePoint 2013, SharePoint 2016, SharePoint 2019 and SharePoint Online (Microsoft Office 365).
- Create a new column called Today (Single line of text).
- Create a calculated column, name it anything you want, say 'CurrentDate'.
- In the formula, insert the column you created previously 'Today'.
- Set the data type to 'Date and Time'.
- Set the Date and Time format to 'Date Only'. You can even select Date & Time if you would want to use hours/minutes as well.
- Now delete the 'Today' column you created in first step. Don't worry, just go ahead.
- Add the 'CurrentDate' column to your view and check the value.
- You should see today's date in there.
- Modify the formula as required, you can use the column Today just like the function [Today] without any issues.
Important - Calculated columns by design do not update the values automatically, the value updates only when the list item is modified/updated. So if you go back to the view at a later point, you will still see the old date (the day when you set the formula) being referred in the formula.
We urge you to use Power Automate / FLOW to update the list item values instead of using calculated columns if you want the values to update on regular basis.
- Setup synonyms or alias or thesaurus in SharePoint
- How to redirect SharePoint Site Collection to different URL
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint
- SharePoint 2010 DataForm Unable to display this Web Part System.StackOverflowException
- SharePoint Server 2016 Preview installation error - This Product Key isn't a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Product Key. Check that you've entered it correctly.
- How to delete SharePoint List Item programmatically
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- Create SharePoint Site Collection using PowerShell New-SPSite
- How to create SharePoint List Item programmatically
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- SharePoint Server 2016 installation System Hardware requirements
- [Solved] SharePoint Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion
- SharePoint Designer Workflow error - Coercion Failed: Input cannot be null for this coercion
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- SharePoint 2016 error - Could not find file ManageUserProfileServiceApplicationTenantSimplified.xml
- Bypass domain name for IIS site (SharePoint)
- SharePoint PowerShell Merge-SPLogFile filter by time using StartTime EndTime
- Recover SharePoint if the SQL Server IP changes
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to enable disable SharePoint Developer Dashboard for tracing troubleshooting
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Update Created By (Author) column of SharePoint document using PowerShell
- SharePoint Server 2016 error - Failed to connect to the configuration database
- The service instance
- SharePoint Managed Metadata Hidden Taxonomy List - TaxonomyHiddenList
- How to make TextView Text Transparent [Android] - Android
- JSON Nest Objects Example: JSON Tutorial - Json-Tutorial
- Google translate in spreadsheet - Google
- SharePoint update append Required Field to display name of mandatory columns - SharePoint
- How to make a div tag clickable - Html
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site - SharePoint
- Android : Neither user 10085 nor current process has android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE - Android
- Android-Failed to install apk on device EOF Timeout Error - Android
- HTML5 HELLO WORLD Example - Html
- Calculate Area of Square - C-Program
- How to get the Android OS installed version programmatically - Android
- List of Eclipse IDE Versions and future releases : Mars and Neon - Eclipse
- [Eclipse] Syntax error, annotations are only available if source level is 1.5 or greater - Eclipse
- How to Generate Self-Signed OpenSSL certificate in three easy steps - HowTos
- Change Title text for Android Activity using java code - Android