⛏️ Fix [Today] volatile function error for SharePoint calculated field current dateWe trick SharePoint here by creating a dummy column to capture current date and overcome the volatile functions error for calculated column formula. This trick works for all SharePoint versions - MOSS, SharePoint 2010, SharePoint 2013, SharePoint 2016, SharePoint 2019 and SharePoint Online (Microsoft Office 365).
- Create a new column called Today (Single line of text).
- Create a calculated column, name it anything you want, say 'CurrentDate'.
- In the formula, insert the column you created previously 'Today'.
- Set the data type to 'Date and Time'.
- Set the Date and Time format to 'Date Only'. You can even select Date & Time if you would want to use hours/minutes as well.
- Now delete the 'Today' column you created in first step. Don't worry, just go ahead.
- Add the 'CurrentDate' column to your view and check the value.
- You should see today's date in there.
- Modify the formula as required, you can use the column Today just like the function [Today] without any issues.
⚡️ Important - Calculated columns by design do not update the values automatically, the value updates only when the list item is modified/updated.
So if you go back to the view at a later point, you will still see the old date (the day when you set the formula) being referred in the formula.
We urge you to use Power Automate / FLOW to update the list item values instead of using calculated columns if you want the values to update on regular basis.
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- Copy entire directory using Terminal Command [Linux, Mac, Bash] - Linux
- macOS R installation steps - MacOS
- Change Google Chrome Browsers default download location - Chrome
- How to get more information about npm using brew command - HowTos
- Graph API error when querying BookingBusinesses - ErrorExceededFindCountLimit, The GetBookingMailboxes request returned too many results - Microsoft