You have done all below necessary checks, but the problem is not resolved.
- Active Directory (Azure AD in case of Office 365/Microsoft 365) reflects the name correctly
- Outlook reflects the name correctly
- SharePoint User Profile Service reflects the name correctly
- Deleted the user from SharePoint site and reassigned permissions, that does not help either
- Clearing cache does not help and still old name displayed
- Trying from different browser, machine does not help
You will come across multiple solutions like changing the name using PowerShell / Management Shell, deleting the User profile and recreating, etc. But this solution will work in most cases, so try this out first.
Solution -Try adding the user again or just try checking the SharePoint (site/list) permissions, if you see the name resolving correctly in the people picker but displays old name after adding, then follow below steps to resolve.
Important- All users having permissions to a SharePoint Site Collection are added to a hidden list which cannot be accessed directly from site contents. SharePoint automatically makes an entry here when users are granted access or they login.
You need to access this list to fix the problem. There are 3 ways to see the users.
- [SiteURL]/_layouts/15/people.aspx?MembershipGroupId=0 (update the _layouts link based on the SharePoint version in use)
Make a note of user permissions before performing these steps. You may have to add the user back to Site Collection, sub sites, lists and libraries if they have unique permissions.
- Use the MembershipGroupId=0 approach and navigate to the "All People" group
- Locate the user and you should see the old name being saved
- Delete the user entry and re-add
- Check the user display name now, it should show the correct name
More Posts related to SharePoint,
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- PowerShell iterate and get all SharePoint sites and sub sites
- SharePoint Online: Editing session has ended Message
- How to Share Microsoft SharePoint Site with Users or Groups
- How to delete SharePoint Online List Item using REST API
- SharePoint List excel import - This table exceeds the maximum number of supported rows
- How to disable SharePoint subsite creation option for owners
- SharePoint 2010 August 2015 Update KB3055049 - Duplicate Document ID issue bug fixed
- SharePoint Server 2016 Preview installation error - This Product Key isn't a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Product Key. Check that you've entered it correctly.
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- Access URL for SharePoint Tenant Admin Center (Online Office 365)
- Error when deleting SharePoint Online folder or file
- How to extend retiring SharePoint 2010 Workflows and continue with Office 365
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- How to delete SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.Net
- How to retrieve all SharePoint Online List Items using Rest API
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- Create SharePoint Site Collection using PowerShell New-SPSite
- Fix SharePoint PowerShell error - The term Get-SPweb is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet function script file or operable program
- How to enable anonymous public access for SharePoint Online site collection, file, folder without login ?
- SharePoint Server 2016 installation System Hardware requirements
- How to create SharePoint Online List Item using REST API
- Changed AD user display name showing old name in SharePoint
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- Microsoft 365: How to Turn Off Delve in SharePoint Online for All Users
- Fix mySQL Error Cant connect to local MySQL server through socket /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock ERROR 2002 HY000 - MySQL
- Is Roblox available on the Mac App Store? - MacOS
- Fix: Error code: 0x204 Microsoft Remote Desktop - Unable to connect the remote PC. - Windows
- Add Emojis and GIFs using Windows 10 or 11 PC Keyboard - Windows-11
- Find MAC address of your laptop device - HowTos
- How to delete SharePoint Online List Item using REST API - SharePoint
- How to set CSS background-Image Property - CSS
- How to hide or disable iOS 14 App Library on iPhone? - Apple