As there is no Print Screen button on a Mac Keyboard as you may find on Windows, you can either use Keyboard shortcuts or make use of the available menu options that we can use to capture screens.
Here is how you can take a screen shot on a Mac (like what we call print screen on Windows) without Keyboard
1. Preview App: If you do not want to use keyboard key combinations to take a screenshot (print-screen/screen capture) there is an option available using Preview App
- Goto Spotlight Search and look for Preview App and Open it
- Now you must see that Preview Menu bar is loaded
- Now goto File -> Take a Screen Shot
There are 3 options available,
- From Selection.
This will make the cursor pointer as a cross-wire, when you click and drag a portion of the window gets selected and will be displayed with Preview App.
- From Window..
When you select this option, your mouse pointer turns into a Camera icon and it highlights the selectable windows that are available on the screen, when you click, the selected window is captured and displayed with Preview App.
- From Entire Screen
When you select this option, you would see that a message is poped-up at the center of the screen saying "Countdown to Screenshot has started" and after few seconds the entire window image is taken displayed with the Preview App.
⛏️ Advantage of taking a Screenshot with preview App.
There are a few advantages of taking a Screen Shot using the Preview App,
- It lets you edit the image on a go, before being saved. It lets you do some basic editing on the image like rotation, cropping, adding text and so on ..
- You can save the image in formats other them Png like JPEG, JPEG-2000, OpenEXR, PDF and TIFF.
2. Grab App: There is another application that lets you take screenshots, you may find it under /Applications/Utilities/
a. Open Grab (type Grab in Spotlight search)
b. Now on the Grab menu, select Capture, you get the following options,
- Time Section
- Pdf Text to Speech option in Mac OS X Preview App
- vi undo command
- Hide files and folders on Mac OS X
- Java location in Mac OS X
- Mac OS X Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine
- How to take Screenshots on Mac OS X without Keyboard
- Save webpage as pdf in Google Chrome for Mac OS X
- Safari appends .html extension to files that are downloaded
- How to See Hidden Folders and Files on Mac OS X
- How to Gzip a file directory on Mac OS X using Terminal Command
- osascript wants to make changes while Android Studio Installation on Mac OS X
- Find Java JRE Installation location Mac OS X
- Mac OS X Taking Screen Capture using Terminal
- How to Stop Photos App from auto loading when device connected to the Mac
- How to Setup maven on Mac OS X
- How to enable Do Not Disturb mode for Notification Center in Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite
- Mac OS X Stuck During Booting Gray Screen Logo and Spinner
- Kill or force quit stuck application or process in Mac OS X
- Turn on off volume change button sounds Mac OS X
- 4 Open Source SQLite Editor for Mac OS X , Windows and Linux
- Location of eclipse.ini file on Mac OS X
- Disable Chrome Notification bell from Mac OS X menu bar
- Google Search Hot Trends Screensaver for Mac OS X
- Transfer files between Android and Mac OS X using usb cable
- [Solved] Dynamic Web Module 3.0 requires Java 1.6 or newer Mac OSX
- Force android app to run in Landscape mode programatically - Android
- Type R is already defined error : Android Error - Android
- Call PHP function on Button click using jquery ajax - PHP
- Can't Run SDK Manager find_java.bat issue - Android
- 10 FTP SFTP Clients and Alternatives - FTP
- auth_client_using_bad_version_title : Error Android Lint - Android
- Delete file using PHP code : unlink() - PHP
- Stop android adb service from command prompt or terminal - Android
- How to add Date and Time to Windows Notepad File - NotepadPlusPlus
- Mac OS X Taking Screen Capture using Terminal - Mac-OS-X
- Create SharePoint Site Collection using PowerShell New-SPSite - SharePoint
- SharePoint workflow Canceled - Coercion Failed: Unable to transform the input lookup data into the requested type - SharePoint
- Android : Prevent App for rotation landscape or portrait - Android
- MySQL 1005 Error : SQLSTATE: HY000 (ER_CANT_CREATE_TABLE) Message: Can't create table '%s' (errno: 150) - MySQL
- How to change Android EditText Cursor Color - Android