# ipconfig bash: ipconfig: command not found
If you are trying to find out your private or public IP on Linux or Unix-Like Operating Systems and you get "ipconfig: command not found", well the reason for this error, is that there is no ipconfig command for Linux, instead you need to make use of the ifconfig command.
# ifconfig eth0: flags=4163<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 65535 inet 1xx.17.0.2 netmask 255.255.0.0 broadcast 1xx.17.255.255 ether 02:42:ac:11:00:02 txqueuelen 0 (Ethernet) RX packets 5434 bytes 83686640 (83.6 MB) RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0 TX packets 3076 bytes 229403 (229.4 KB) TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0 lo: flags=73<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING> mtu 65536 inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 255.0.0.0 loop txqueuelen 1000 (Local Loopback) RX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B) RX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 frame 0 TX packets 0 bytes 0 (0.0 B) TX errors 0 dropped 0 overruns 0 carrier 0 collisions 0
# ifconfig bash: ifconfig: command not found
If you even get the same error of ifconfig then the required binary is missing, and you need to install net-tools using the apt package manager.
# sudo apt-get install net-tools
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- Rename a directory using Linux/Unix command
- ls command to list only directories
- How to Restart or Reload Nginx Server Service on Linux
- 3 ways to clear screen on Linux Terminal
- ls command: sort files by name alphabetically A-Z or Z-A [Linux/Unix/macOS/Bash]
- Copy entire directory using Terminal Command [Linux, Mac, Bash]
- Fix: sudo: unable to open Read-only file system
- Create Hidden File or Directory using Shell Command
- Command to know the installed Debian version?
- The Date Command and its usage [Linux - Unix - macOS]
- Fix - bash: man: command not found
- How to tar.gz a directory or folder Command
- How to Display content of a file in Terminal Screen?
- How to change bash terminal prompt string and color
- Sort ls command by last modified date and time
- Execute .bin and .run file Ubuntu Linux
- zsh hello world example
- How to check uptime of Linux/Unix/macOS system/server using console command?
- [Fix] Linux - bash: useradd: command not found
- Command to check Last Login or Reboot History of Users and TTYs
- How to install and Configure sar sysstat tools in Ubuntu Linux
- How to use SCP Command to Copy Directory
- Linux Remove or Delete Files and Directories using Terminal Commands
- How to connect to SSH port other than default 22
- Install OpenSSL on Linux/Ubuntu
- Code2care Daily: Your Source for Tech & Programming News - April 14th, 2023 - News
- Fix: TextEdit Open Html as Plain Text Code - MacOS
- [Solved] SharePoint Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion - SharePoint
- Build-in Snipping Tool Alternative on Mac - MacOS
- How to Turn Dark Mode On in Jupyter Notebook - Python
- 100+ Hashtags for BST ARMY - BTS
- AlertDialog with no buttons (just text message) - Android
- How to add border to Android Button - Android