If you open the terminal after upgrading macOS to Catalina, Big Sur, or Monterey, you would see something like this when you move to the bash from Zsh or other shells like csh, dash, ksh, sh, tcsh.
The default interactive shell is now zsh To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh\`. For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050
If you were using Mojave or below, Bash was the default shell, from Catalina onwards zsh (Z shell) is the default shell.
⛏️ Follow https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050 to change the default shell other than zsh.
If you want to make bash the default command-line shell for macOS, you can do so by following the below steps,
- Click on the apple Logo on the menu bar ie.
- Choose System Preferences... menu option,
- Search for Users & Group,
- Click on the lock you see at the Botton left and enter your account name and password, or use fingerprint unlock,
- Do Control-click on your username and select Advanced Options,
- From the dropdown choose the shell your want to use and click OK.
How to suppress the message: "The default interactive shell is now zsh"
If you want to suppress this warning message every time that you move to any other prompt, you need to set the variable bash silence deprecation warning to a value of 1. i.e BASH_SILENCE_DEPRECATION_WARNING=1. You can do that by running the below command in the Terminal.
code2care@mac ~ % bash The default interactive shell is now zsh. To update your account to use zsh, please run `chsh -s /bin/zsh`. For more details, please visit https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050. bash-3.2$ zsh code2care@mac ~ % export BASH_SILENCE_DEPRECATION_WARNING=1 code2care@mac ~ % bash bash-3.2$
Note as this setting will get terminated as soon as to close your terminal, it is better to set this in the profile of zsh shell.
- Open Terminal app,
- On the ZSH Shell type nano ~/.zshrc
- Now append the variable details: export BASH_SILENCE_DEPRECATION_WARNING=1
- Press Control + X, followed by Y to save the file, press enter to exit Nano,
- Now type command source ~/.zshrc to apply changes.
✌️ Update: June 2022, you will see the same message on macOS 13 Ventura
- How to connect AirPods to Mac
- Display Safari URL address link on hover
- Mac turn dark mode on or off using terminal command
- Docker Desktop needs privileged access macOS
- How to install Java on macOS [Big Sur]
- How to start/boot macOS in safe mode - Big Sur 11.0, Catalina 10.15, or Mojave 10.14
- Find Mac version using terminal command
- How to fix command not found brew (bash, zsh) on macOS Terminal
- How to change default macOS Terminal Window size
- How to make EditText text to uppercase or lowercase on macOS
- Disable Startup Sound on macOS
- How to switch from bash to zsh shell in macOS Terminal
- How to make macOS Terminal window Transparent (or Opaque)
- Remove Now Playing icon from macOS Big Sur Menu Bar
- Test internet speed using macOS Terminal command
- How to change macOS Safari default language
- Encode or Decode Base64 String using Mac Terminal Command
- Safari - Get HTTP Request Response Headers
- How to open terminal on Mac to run commands
- How to install homebrew (brew) on M1 Mac
- How to display directory tree in Mac Terminal
- How to Change Mouse Wheel Scroll Direction on Mac
- MacoOS - xyz is an app downloaded from the internet. Are you sure you want to open it? Alert
- The default interactive shell is now zsh. [macOS]
- Change Terminal Cursor Type in Mac (MacOS Shell)
- Twitter is down? Issues with Tweet create events affecting APIs - Twitter
- Convert byte array to String in Java - Java
- How to update SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.Net - SharePoint
- Audio Video Network protocols supported by Android OS Devices - Android
- Deploy SharePoint wsp solution package using PowerShell - SharePoint