One might want to insert the current time or timestamp in Notepad++ as it can be useful in situations like,
- Adding Time-stamp in log files: If you are working with log files, it can be useful to insert timestamps to indicate when events occurred. This can help with troubleshooting and tracking down issues.
- Tracking code changes: If you are working with code, it can be useful to insert timestamps to track changes say a git commit log. This can help you keep track of when you made changes and help with version control like git/svn/cvs.
- Creating time-sensitive documents: If you are working on a document that has time-sensitive information, such as meeting notes or project plans, inserting timestamps can help ensure that everyone is working with the most up-to-date information.
- Creating a timeline of events: If you are working on a project that has multiple milestones or stages, inserting timestamps can help you create a timeline that shows the progression of the project over time.
- When Collaborating with others: If you are working on a document with multiple collaborators, inserting timestamps can help ensure that everyone is working on the latest version of the document.
- Scheduling reminders/to-dos: If you use Notepad++ to create to-do lists or reminders, inserting timestamps can help you prioritize tasks based on when they need to be completed.
Steps: How to insert time/date in Notepad++ file
- Keep the cursor on the location where you want to insert the date and time.
- Now based on what you want date/time/timestamp, do the following,
a) To insert Date (Short): Go to Menu: Edit -> Insert -> Date Time (short) b) To insert Date (Long): Go to Menu: Edit -> Insert -> Date Time (long) c) To insert Custom Date/time/timestamp: Go to Menu: Edit -> Insert -> Date Time (customized)
- Once you click on any of the options, the date/time will get inserted at the current position of the cursor.
How to customize date/time in Notepad++
- Open Notepad++
- Go to Menu: Settings -> Preferences...
- Now move to Multi-Instance and date tab in the side-bar
- Set any custom date time format you want.
Format -> Output Example yyyy -> 2023 yyyy-MM-dd -> 2023-03-11 dd/MM/yyyy -> 11/02/2023 MM/dd/yyyy -> 02/11/2023 HH:mm -> 12:44 dd MM yyyy HH:mm:ss -> 12 01 2023 12:03:24
- You will see a preview at the bottom of the text box
- Click close once you are done.
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
More Posts related to NotepadPlusPlus,
- Notepad++ Editor alternatives for macOS
- How to add or remove bookmark on a line in Notepad++
- Notepad++ do not show CRLF characters
- Reduce the size of Tabs on Notepad++
- Delete blank lines in a file using Notepad++
- Fix: Notepad++ bottom status bar not visible
- Notepad++ Hex Editor
- How to show End of Line Characters in File using Notepad++
- [Tutorial] Write And Run Python Code In Notepad++ Editor
- How to install XML Tools Plugin Notepad++
- Customizing Notepad++ New Document Line Encoding: CR/LF/CR LF
- How to remove blank lines from a file using Notepad++
- Column Mode Editing in Notepad++
- Convert text to random case using Notepad++
- How to recover unsaved notepad file Windows 10
- How to delete all text after a character or string in Notepad++
- Setting up Cloud feature with Notepad++
- Install Notepad++ silently using Windows Powershell
- Using Document Map in Notepad++
- Enabling Notepad++ Dark Theme
- [Fix] Notepad++ tab not visible (hidden)
- Where are Notepad++ macros stored?
- Multiple line editing in Notepad++
- Alternatives for Notepad++ on Mac in 2021
- [Nopepad++] How to add text at end of each line
- Fibonacci series from 1 to 500 table - Html
- Convert Java Object to JSON using Jackson Library - Java
- How to Gzip a file directory on Mac OS X using Terminal Command - Mac-OS-X
- MacBook - Time Limit - You have reached your time limit, Ignore Limit - MacOS
- Delete Android Studio Projects - Android-Studio
- bash: cls: command not found - Linux
- How to Freeze Top Row in Excel for Mac - Windows
- Change Sublime Text 3 white background color theme - Sublime-Text