In order to restart your Mac or Macbook running on Apple Silicon (M1/M2 Chip) in safe mode, follow the below steps,
- Click on the Apple Logo on the Menu bar,
- Select Shut Down...
- If you see a dialog with "Are you sure you want to shut down your computer now?" click Shut Down button again.
- Wait till your Mac completely shuts down! (Screen goes black and no lights)
- Now press and hold the power button until you see the screen "Loading startup options".
- Now select your HD and press and hold Shift Button until you see "Continue in Safe Mode"
- Click on Continue in Safe Mode.
Now when your Mac restarts you would see "Safe Boot" on your menu bar of the login screen.
The above steps work on,
macOS Ventura 13 macOS Monterey 12 macOS Big Sur 11.0
For macOS Catalina 10.15 and Mojave 10.14 follow the below steps,
- Go to Apple menu and select Shut Down,
- Once your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds then press the power button.
- Press the Shift key as soon as your Mac starts, and you would hear the startup sound
- When you see the Apple Logo and the progress bar, release the Shift Key
How to come out of Safe Mode?
Simply restart your Mac normally and you should be out of safe mode.
Have Questions? Post them here!
- How to Open Finder using Mac Terminal
- How to install maven in macOS using Terminal Command
- How to install iTerm2 Mac Terminal Alternative
- Find Mac version using terminal command
- Zsh Shell: Custom alias that you may find useful
- How to Uninstall Brew on Mac
- Go to Specific file path using Mac Finder
- How to open new tabs macOS Terminal
- fix macOS: The digital signature on the update is missing or invalid. Ventura
- ls: .: Operation not permitted - Mac Terminal ZSH Error
- Closest Alternate to Notepad on Mac
- How to Open Trash on Mac
- How to uninstall Microsoft Outlook on Mac
- [fix] macOS Ventura xcrun: error: invalid active developer path missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun
- [Vi/Vim] How to move cursor to the start of a line
- macOS 13 Ventura - The New About this Mac Window
- Best Free Gif screen capture app now available for M1 Chip Mac - LICECap
- 30+ Zoom video communications application shortcuts for macOS
- How to create alias in macOS
- How to install Node using Brew on Mac
- How to start/boot macOS in safe mode - Big Sur 11.0, Catalina 10.15, or Mojave 10.14
- Cant find System Preferences... under macOS Ventura Apple Menu?
- Mac turn dark mode on or off using terminal command
- How to Close Safari in Mac using Keyboard shortcut
- How to Upgrade Mac from Monterey to macOS Ventura
- Remove git config at Local, Global or System Levels? - Git
- [Android Studio] MainActivity does not exist - Android-Studio
- Replace tabs by spaces or comma Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- Microsoft Teams: Sign-in is blocked error - Teams
- How to Stop Photos App from auto loading when device connected to the Mac - Mac-OS-X
- Remove Applications from Startup Mac OS X - Mac-OS-X
- Android Developers Bluetooth Tutorial - Android
- 7 Python Arithmetic Operators with Examples [Tutorial] - Python