In order to restart your Mac or Macbook running on Apple Silicon (M1/M2 Chip) in safe mode, follow the below steps,
- Click on the Apple Logo on the Menu bar,
- Select Shut Down...
- If you see a dialog with "Are you sure you want to shut down your computer now?" click Shut Down button again.
- Wait till your Mac completely shuts down! (Screen goes black and no lights)
- Now press and hold the power button until you see the screen "Loading startup options".
- Now select your HD and press and hold Shift Button until you see "Continue in Safe Mode"
- Click on Continue in Safe Mode.
Now when your Mac restarts you would see "Safe Boot" on your menu bar of the login screen.
The above steps work on,
macOS Ventura 13 macOS Monterey 12 macOS Big Sur 11.0
For macOS Catalina 10.15 and Mojave 10.14 follow the below steps,
- Go to Apple menu and select Shut Down,
- Once your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds then press the power button.
- Press the Shift key as soon as your Mac starts, and you would hear the startup sound
- When you see the Apple Logo and the progress bar, release the Shift Key
How to come out of Safe Mode?
Simply restart your Mac normally and you should be out of safe mode.
Have Questions? Post them here!
- How to find path of file on Mac Terminal
- How to disable Siri on Mac Monterey
- [fix] macOS Ventura xcrun: error: invalid active developer path missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun
- Select Line Number TextEdit on Mac
- Go to Specific file path using Mac Finder
- How to find Java HOME in Mac Terminal
- bash: command not found error [macOS Terminal Linux, Unix or Windows]
- Must Know Homebrew Commands for Mac/Linux Users
- How to Insert an Inverted Question Mark on Mac ¿
- Hide Keyboard Text Input Icon on macOS Ventura Menu Bar
- How to make macOS Terminal window Transparent (or Opaque)
- How to check of Updates on Microsoft Edge Browser on Mac (macOS)
- Limit scrollback rows in macOS Terminal
- How to identify installed Java (JDK) Version on macOS
- Keyboard Shortcut to delete a file on a Mac [Macbook]
- Open Docker from Terminal Command on Mac
- Installing MongoDB on Linux/Unix/macOS/Ubuntu
- How to take a screenshot on a Mac - updated for Ventura 13 [updated 2023]
- ls: .: Operation not permitted - Mac Terminal ZSH Error
- How to remove username from Mac Menu Bar?
- macOS Ventura XCode Command Line Tools Installation
- Where is .zshrc file located in macOS
- How to Show Path of Files or App in Mac Spotlight Search
- How to enable root user on Mac Terminal
- Install Java 17 (LTS) JDK on ARM based M1/M2 Mac Natively
- MySQL Query for Schema/Structure of a Table - MySQL
- SCP Copy all files from directory to Local Folder - Linux
- Fix: Microsoft OneDrive We are currently experiencing technical difficulties - Microsoft
- How to Rename a Git Local Branch Using the --move Option - Git
- Docker Commit Command with Examples - Docker
- Move from Zsh to Bash shell macOS - MacOS
- How to run Java Unit Test cases with Apache Maven? - Java
- [Solved] Dynamic Web Module 3.0 requires Java 1.6 or newer Mac OSX - Mac-OS-X