tree is a recursive directory displaying command that helps to see the in depth indented listing of directories and files.
How to install tree command on macOS Terminal?
You can make use of Home-brew to install the tree package,
- Open Terminal,
- Type command: brew install tree
code2care@mac Desktop % brew install tree ==> Downloading https://homebrew.bintray.com/bottles/tree-1.8.0.arm64_big_sur.bottle.tar.gz Already downloaded: /Users/code2care/Library/Caches/Homebrew/downloads/ e446cb0fe0006900ce03f20b28170d16fc298e8ffad73a071f4d603df97ecb58 --tree-1.8.0.arm64_big_sur.bottle.tar.gz ==> Pouring tree-1.8.0.arm64_big_sur.bottle.tar.gz 🍺 /opt/homebrew/Cellar/tree/1.8.0: 8 files, 158.5KB
How to use tree command?
Just be in the dir where you want to see the structure of files and folders and type tree,
% tree . ├── Java ├── My\ Books ├── Python\ Files └── Samples └── Sub-folder 4 directories, 1 file
As you can see when I ran the tree command on the Desktop - it displayed all the folders and files it contains, with a summary of how many files are folders are present in Desktop. The dot represents the root. and you can see the files or folders within a file with an indent.
If you want to restrict the number of levels you want to see you can use -L option followed the level number to reduce the depth.Example:
code2care@mac Desktop % tree -L 1 . ├── Java ├── My\ Books ├── Python\ Files └── Samples 4 directories, 0 files
- How to find files taking up space on your Mac
- How to open new tabs macOS Terminal
- Encode or Decode Base64 String using Mac Terminal Command
- How to take a screenshot on a Mac? (updated for macOS Monterey 2022)
- [macOS] NetBeans IDE cannot be installed. Java (JRE) found on your computer but JDK XX or newer is required.
- How to know your Mac Screen Resolution?
- How to make macOS Terminal window Transparent (or Opaque)
- [macOS] Change homepage Macbook Safari Browser
- Cut, Copy and Paste keyboard commands on mac
- Shutdown Mac Terminal Command
- Zsh Shell: Custom alias that you may find useful
- How to uninstall GarageBand from Mac
- How to Refresh Mac Desktop
- How to fix command not found brew (bash, zsh) on macOS Terminal
- How to Right Click on Mac Desktop?
- How to remove app from Dock when closed [macOS Big Sur]
- How to display directory tree in Mac Terminal
- [Eclipse] Locate Preferences in macOS
- How to save webpage as pdf using macOS Safari
- Set Python 3.8 as a default python version on macOS
- 10 Beginners Commands for macOS Terminal Usage
- Display Seconds in Digital Clock on Mac Menu Bar [macOS]
- [Solution] macOS Big Sur Installation: There is not enough free space, Additional Space Required
- How to search (find) in macOS Terminal Console Text
- How to come out of dquote prompt in Terminal - macOS/Linux
- incorrect line ending: found carriage return (\r) without corresponding newline (\n) - Android
- Upload Pdf file using PHP Script - PHP
- Fix zsh: permission denied: script.sh - zsh
- 3 Commands to stop Nginx Server - Linux
- Steps to Compare Two files in Sublime Text Side-by-Side - Sublime-Text
- Android : IOException: Unable to open sync connection! - Android
- Send Email using SharePoint PowerShell command, SMTP server - SharePoint
- How to install pip on macOS using terminal command [Python] - Python