When your SharePoint site throws an error, it just says "Sorry something went wrong - An unexpected error has occurred" and expects the developer to put more effort into finding the exact issue. That is quite frustrating at times !!
The SharePoint Logs are stored on your Server(s) at location HIVE\LOGS, HIVE is the path containing libraries and files for the installed SharePoint version. Usually, HIVE is --> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions
As a developer, you need to scan through all your logs, find the relevant log (based on date-time stamp), scan and identify all servers to find more information on the error (use the 'Date and Time' value). Then open the file and search for 'Correlation ID', this will give you more specific details about the error.
This can take up some time for locating the exact error and issue.
Is there an easier way? -Yes.
⚡️ PowerShell Merge-SPlogfileUse PowerShell command 'Merge-SPLogFile' to filter logs from all SharePoint servers in the FARM based on the Correlation ID http://code2care.org/2015/merge-splogfile-sharepoint-correlation-id-error
⚡️ SharePoint ULS Log ViewerThis is a free Codeplex tool for viewing ULS logs http://ulsviewer.codeplex.com
PS - This approach does not work for SharePoint Online and will only work for on premises installations. For SPO, reach out to Microsoft Support to get more details on the error.
Have Questions? Post them here!
- error CAML Query containing special characters
- [Solved] SharePoint Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion
- Trigger Flow on selected Listitem from SharePoint view - create button with JSON column formatting
- SharePoint Excel error - The workbook cannot be opened because it contains the following features that are not supported by Excel in the browser
- Send Email with attachment using SharePoint PowerShell, SMTP server
- How to show or hide columns in SharePoint Online List Library from
- SharePoint excel error - A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator.
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- Special character & not working with SharePoint REST API
- How to disable SharePoint subsite creation option for owners
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- Deploy SharePoint wsp solution package using PowerShell
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- How to enable anonymous public access for SharePoint Online site collection, file, folder without login ?
- SharePoint installation error - Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error This product requires Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5
- How to add animated Gif to SharePoint Online Page
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- How to create SharePoint Document Library
- SharePoint - Use Today's Date Time in list view filter and calculated column
- How to redirect SharePoint Site Collection to different URL
- SharePoint error cannot connect to the configuration database
- Error: Failed to validate the signature of the actionable message card - Power Automate Flow - PowerAutomate
- Spring Boot: JDBCTemplate BatchUpdate Update Query Example - Java
- Is Facebook is down? Is it just for me? - Facebook
- Adding Jackson dependency to Java Gradle Project - Gradle
- Set Falling Show on Website for Christmas using Pure CSS Code - CSS
- How to create a Array (not using list) in Python - Python
- Fix: Jupyter Notebook says Not Trusted - Python