This is the most common error encountered while working with Android Eclipse ADT or Android Studio IDE. You get this error if R.class file is not generated under gen folder, this file is auto generated every time the build happens, if there is any error encountered while build you get R Cannot Be Resolved to a Variable.
There are many reasons that may cause this error. I am trying to list down as many reasons as I can to my knowledge.
1. R.java Class Import
Check if android.R import statements are present in any of your Java files under src folder, it is not required as R is static class, but many a time we do Ctrl + Shift + O which causes this import statement being added.
Eclipse somethings cries for these imports but just don't add them, the problem is due to some other stuffs like layouts or drawables.
Drawables (images) or xml's contained here are the real culprits most of the times for such issues. You won't even see a red error cross displayed over the drawable folder (but if you clean and build your project you would find the error messages displayed under logCat console)
Check that images and XML files follows the below mentioned naming conventions,
- All file names must be in lower-cases
- Files under drawables must not contain any special characters other than _ (underscore)
- Files must not contain numeric values.
If you have changed the package name for your app in the Manifest file, this may not generate R.class resulting in such a error. Make sure you clean and build.
4. Check Order of Export
Right-Click on you project
Java Build Path
Order and Export
5. Check if Android Target is set.
Right-click on your Project Folder.
Check the box next to appropriate Project Build Target.
Click Apply and OK.
- Android : Execute some code after back button is pressed
- Android is starting optimizing... app 1 of 1
- How to change Android Button Color using xml attribute and programatically using java
- SQLite with Android Easy to Understand Tutorial that covers Select, Insert, Update and Delete
- How to make Android EditText not editable
- Make Android TextView Clickable like Buttons
- Unable to establish connection to adb : Android Studio Error
- Android Constant and Resource Type Mismatches Lint
- Android Shared Preferences API tutorial
- Fixing Android unknown error 961 while downloading app
- DDMS files not found hprof-conv.exe
- How to reset eclipse layout
- Android Developers Bluetooth Tutorial
- Android Studio Native typeface cannot be made error
- 21 Useful Android Emulator Short-cut Keyboard Keys
- Multiline EditText in Android Example
- How to screenshot on Android?
- Unable to load VM from snapshot. The snapshot has been saved for a different hardware configuration
- How To Disable Landscape Mode in Android Application
- Change Title text for Android Activity using java code
- Android : Class file collision: A resource exists with a different case
- Android Emulator Soft Back button action using Computer keyboard
- Device not compatible error Android Google Play Store
- ERROR x86 emulation currently requires hardware acceleration. Intel HAXM is not installed on this machine
- java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError android.support.v4.content.LocalBroadcastManager
- Disable Fading Edges Scroll Effect Android Views
- Android : Unable to load VM from snapshot : Mac OS X Error
- Change Android EditText Cursor Height
- What is Android Toast.LENGTH_SHORT and Toast. LENGTH_LONG durations
- How to add border to Android TextView
- Remove ActionBar from Activity that extends appcompat-v7
- How to send SMS on Android Emulator
- Android RatingBar Example
- This Toast was not created with Toast.makeText() : Android RuntimeException
- Android Studio Ctrl Shift o auto import not working
- Android : Duplicate registration for activity com.example.abc
- ADT Installation Error: requires plug-in org.eclipse.wst.sse.ui
- Running Android Lint has encountered a problem NullPointerException Error
- Android Emulator] ##KBD: Full queue, lose event Error Logs
- Export aborted because fatal lint error were found
- Android Parsing Data for android-L failed Unsupported major.minor version 51.0 Error
- Android : Accidental Octal Lint Warning
- Android ListView turns Black or Flickers while Scrolling
- How to make a dummy phone call from Android Emulator device
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and Merge-SPlogfile - SharePoint
- MySQL : Error :1004 SQLSTATE: HY000 (ER_CANT_CREATE_FILE) Can't create file - MySQL
- [Solved] Bootstrap tooltip not working - Bootstrap
- Android Error Generating Final Archive - Debug Certificate Expired - Android
- No Android device found : Android File Transfer App Mac OS X - Android
- Simple Login Page using Bootstrap - Bootstrap
- JDK Location in Android Studio - Android-Studio
- How to word wrap in HTML - Html
- Setting up RSS feeds notifications within Outlook - HowTos
- How to change TextView or EditText Text Color on Focus and on Press - Android
- [Solved] com.sun.xml.ws.transport.http.servlet.WSServletContextListener ClassNotFoundException - Java
- vi undo command - Mac-OS-X
- How to send SMS on Android Emulator - Android
- Java XML-RPC java.net.BindException: Address already in use - Java
- Change Google Chrome Browsers default download location - Chrome