When your SharePoint site throws an error, it just says "Sorry something went wrong - An unexpected error has occurred" and expects the developer to put more effort into finding the exact issue. That is quite frustrating at times !!
The SharePoint Logs are stored on your Server(s) at location HIVE\LOGS, HIVE is the path containing libraries and files for the installed SharePoint version. Usually, HIVE is --> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions
As a developer, you need to scan through all your logs, find the relevant log (based on date-time stamp), scan and identify all servers to find more information on the error (use the 'Date and Time' value). Then open the file and search for 'Correlation ID', this will give you more specific details about the error.
This can take up some time for locating the exact error and issue.
Is there an easier way? -Yes.
⚡️ PowerShell Merge-SPlogfileUse PowerShell command 'Merge-SPLogFile' to filter logs from all SharePoint servers in the FARM based on the Correlation ID http://code2care.org/2015/merge-splogfile-sharepoint-correlation-id-error
⚡️ SharePoint ULS Log ViewerThis is a free Codeplex tool for viewing ULS logs http://ulsviewer.codeplex.com
PS - This approach does not work for SharePoint Online and will only work for on premises installations. For SPO, reach out to Microsoft Support to get more details on the error.
Have Questions? Post them here!
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- Check Bluetooth is turned on or off on Android device programmatically [Java Code] - Android
- How to verify if java is installed on the computer and get version detail - Java
- JSON Syntax : JSON Tutorial - Json-Tutorial
- Android-Failed to install apk on device EOF Timeout Error - Android