When your SharePoint site throws an error, it just says "Sorry something went wrong - An unexpected error has occurred" and expects the developer to put more effort into finding the exact issue. That is quite frustrating at times !!
The SharePoint Logs are stored on your Server(s) at location HIVE\LOGS, HIVE is the path containing libraries and files for the installed SharePoint version. Usually, HIVE is --> C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions
As a developer, you need to scan through all your logs, find the relevant log (based on date-time stamp), scan and identify all servers to find more information on the error (use the 'Date and Time' value). Then open the file and search for 'Correlation ID', this will give you more specific details about the error.
This can take up some time for locating the exact error and issue.
Is there an easier way? -Yes.
⚡️ PowerShell Merge-SPlogfileUse PowerShell command 'Merge-SPLogFile' to filter logs from all SharePoint servers in the FARM based on the Correlation ID http://code2care.org/2015/merge-splogfile-sharepoint-correlation-id-error
⚡️ SharePoint ULS Log ViewerThis is a free Codeplex tool for viewing ULS logs http://ulsviewer.codeplex.com
PS - This approach does not work for SharePoint Online and will only work for on premises installations. For SPO, reach out to Microsoft Support to get more details on the error.
Have Questions? Post them here!
- PowerShell - How to use Try Catch Finally blocks for error exception handling (Windows/SharePoint)
- SharePoint List excel import - This table exceeds the maximum number of supported rows
- Update SharePoint Online List Item using REST API, HTML, Spfx, Postman
- Fix SharePoint Error - The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started
- SharePoint list excel import error - Title is a required filed and can't be empty
- Move Copy Migrate SharePoint OneDrive files folders to different site collection location
- Create SharePoint list from Excel spreadsheet and import table
- Send Email using SharePoint PowerShell command, SMTP server
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell
- The service instance
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- New-SPLogFile PowerShell - create new SharePoint log file
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- SharePoint Server 2016 Preview installation error - This Product Key isn't a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Product Key. Check that you've entered it correctly.
- How to change order of fields on new item form for SharePoint Online list
- Update Created By (Author) column of SharePoint document using PowerShell
- How to delete SharePoint Online List Item using REST API
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- Create SharePoint Site Collection using PowerShell New-SPSite
- How to customize SharePoint Modern list form using JSON formatting
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- SharePoint excel error - A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator.
- How to create SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.net
- How to Get or Set SharePoint Document ID _dlc_DocId using PowerShell
- Base 64 Index, Character and Binary Table - Html
- Google Search Hot Trends Screensaver for Mac OS X - MacOS
- How to Center Align Image in Bootstrap - CSS
- Add blank lines after each lines using Notepad++ text editor - NotepadPlusPlus
- Fix 0x80070194 Error When Opening Microsoft OneDrive File - Microsoft
- AWS S3 CLI BucketAlreadyExists when calling CreateBucket Error make_bucket failed - AWS
- [Fix] Instant java.time.temporal.UnsupportedTemporalTypeException: Unsupported unit: Years - Java
- List of 60 useful FTP Client Commands to access server - FTP