Auto Fill is a powerful feature in Excel that enables you to quickly populate rows or columns with a variety of data types, including:
- The same value or string
- An incremented value
- A decremented value
- A value calculated using a formula
Let's see examples of each of them,
1. Auto Fill same value or string
As you may see in the above example, in column A we have a number, and in column B we have a string name Sam.
You can keep taking your cursor to the bottom left side of the cell and the + sign cursor appears, hold on your mouse, and drag down until the cell you want the value to be repeated.
Or, you can also make use of the keyboard shortcut Control + D on your Mac to fill in all the selected columns.
2. Auto Fill Increment values
This is one of the most valuable scenarios, fill in a few values and drag the + pointer till the cell you want the values to be filled. As in the above example 1, 2, 3, 4... 10
3. Auto Fill Decrement values
Here you will fill few values in descending order eg 10, 9, and use + pointer to fill the rest of the required cells.
4. A value calculated using a formula
Let's say you have numbers 1 to 10 in column A, and in column C, repeated value 2, in cell D2 you have the formula = A2*C2
Now all you need to do is, click on the + cursor and drag to apply the formula in column D
Note: You can also double-click on the + pointer and the rest of the down cells will be auto-filled.
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- Clear Screen shortcut macOS Terminal
- What is macOS Ventura?
- [fix] How to Show file extensions on all files on Mac
- How to Find Where Mac Terminal App is Located?
- AutoSave button not working on Office on Mac (Word, Excel or Powerpoint)
- macOS say command text to speech using various voices and languages
- How to change Ping TTL value on macOS
- Open .bash_profile File in TextEdit using Terminal
- How to know the Safari Version on Mac
- How to Copy full Absolute Path of a File on Mac
- 13.0 MacOS Ventura release date
- Enable spell check in Sublime Text (macOS)
- How to Display Analog Clock on Mac Menu Bar
- How to turn off Location Services macOS Ventura 13
- How to Open VS Code on Mac
- Add Bookmark macOS Safari
- How to Fix cd: too many arguments Error in Terminal: A Step-by-Step Guide
- How to install wget on macOS
- Select Line Number TextEdit on Mac
- Strikethrough Text in Excel for Mac
- How to Enable or Disable Dark Mode on macOS Ventura 13
- How to hide or display Wifi icon in macOS Bug Sur Menu Bar
- How to install Yarn on Mac (macOS)
- How to fix command not found brew (bash, zsh) on macOS Terminal
- How to Schedule Mails in macOS Ventura
- Run Gradle Build without test cases - Gradle
- [Fix] Microsoft 53003 Error - Microsoft
- Bash Command To Get Current Time - Bash
- [macOS] Change homepage Macbook Safari Browser - MacOS
- How to serialize-deserialize an object in java - Java
- ls command sort by file size [Linix/UNIX/macOS/bash] - Linux
- How to URLEncode a Query String in Python - Python
- Fix - sudo: systemctl: command not found - Ubuntu