SharePoint Designer Workflow problem with Lookup column There is a particular scenario in which you might receive the below error if using SharePoint Designer List Workflow.
Coercion Failed: Unable to transform the input lookup data into the requested type. Workflow Scenario Consider a SharePoint list called "Employee" with following schema.
Employee Name (Text)
We create a SharePoint Designer workflow to send a simple email with Employee Name and Country when an item is created.
After publishing the workflow, let us see try creating a few items and see the outcome.Workflow Problem
Though the workflow is pretty simple. We note that it worked fine where lookup values are the United Kingdom, United States, Spain, Australia, but fails when the lookup value is blank. It gets 'Canceled' in this case. If we look closely at the workflow history, it shows these details -
Event Typ - Error User ID - System Account Description - Coercion Failed: Unable to transform the input lookup data into the requested type
The description is useful for us - Coercion Failed: Unable to transform the input lookup data into the requested type.Analysis and Troubleshooting
This happens when you use a Lookup site column in workflow and the value is BLANK/NULL. The workflow fails when transforming the Lookup data (blank in this case) into Lookup Value (as Text). Further steps of the workflow will not be reached and it gets canceled and logs the error.
How to fix - Resolution
The solution to this is converting the Lookup value to a string and then using it in workflow stages.
- Create a Workflow Local Variable named "country" of type "string".
- Modify the workflow by adding an if condition to check if the Lookup value is not-empty (is not empty).
- Set the variable to the Lookup Value
- Add further stages after the if condition. Add an else condition if required.
After modifying the workflow this way, even null/empty/blank lookup values will be converted to a blank string value.
Make sure you do this for every lookup column if you feel the value can be blank anytime.
- SharePoint error - Your organization doesn't allow sharing with users from this domain. Please contact your IT department for help. (OSE403)
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint error cannot connect to the configuration database
- How to open SharePoint Online Modern SPFX links in new tab
- Show Hide SharePoint column in List Library form with the conditional formula
- SharePoint Server 2016 installation System Hardware requirements
- SharePoint installation - Appfabric installation failed because installer MSI returned with error code:1603
- SharePoint installation error - Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error This product requires Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5
- Get count of SharePoint List or Document Library Items using PowerShell
- Sign in as different user missing in SharePoint 2013, how to enable
- The package must have at least one . separator [Android Studio] - Android-Studio
- Make div element draggable using jQuery - jQuery
- How to make a Android button act as a toggle button - Android
- How to Kill service running on port using terminal command - HowTos
- Export aborted because fatal lint error were found - Android
- How to check if Java main thread is alive - Java
- Remove Applications from Startup Mac OS X - Mac-OS-X
- How to Stop Photos App from auto loading when device connected to the Mac - Mac-OS-X
- Custom Toast Android Programming - Android
- CSS: Apply opacity only for div background and not text - CSS
- Resolving DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN Google Chrome Error - Google
- How to make div or text in html unselectable using CSS - CSS
- DDMS files not found hprof-conv.exe - Android
- Android Studio : Change FAB icon color : FloatingActionButton - Android-Studio
- [Hibernate] The method buildSessionFactory() from the type Configuration is deprecated - Java