SharePoint Designer Workflow problem with Lookup column There is a particular scenario in which you might receive the below error if using SharePoint Designer List Workflow.
Coercion Failed: Unable to transform the input lookup data into the requested type. Workflow Scenario Consider a SharePoint list called "Employee" with following schema.
Employee Name (Text)
We create a SharePoint Designer workflow to send a simple email with Employee Name and Country when an item is created.
After publishing the workflow, let us see try creating a few items and see the outcome.Workflow Problem
Though the workflow is pretty simple. We note that it worked fine where lookup values are the United Kingdom, United States, Spain, Australia, but fails when the lookup value is blank. It gets 'Canceled' in this case. If we look closely at the workflow history, it shows these details -
Event Typ - Error User ID - System Account Description - Coercion Failed: Unable to transform the input lookup data into the requested type
The description is useful for us - Coercion Failed: Unable to transform the input lookup data into the requested type.Analysis and Troubleshooting
This happens when you use a Lookup site column in workflow and the value is BLANK/NULL. The workflow fails when transforming the Lookup data (blank in this case) into Lookup Value (as Text). Further steps of the workflow will not be reached and it gets canceled and logs the error.
How to fix - Resolution
The solution to this is converting the Lookup value to a string and then using it in workflow stages.
- Create a Workflow Local Variable named "country" of type "string".
- Modify the workflow by adding an if condition to check if the Lookup value is not-empty (is not empty).
- Set the variable to the Lookup Value
- Add further stages after the if condition. Add an else condition if required.
After modifying the workflow this way, even null/empty/blank lookup values will be converted to a blank string value.
Make sure you do this for every lookup column if you feel the value can be blank anytime.
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- Unable to load VM from snapshot. The snapshot has been saved for a different hardware configuration - Android
- WhatsApp launches WhatsApp Web to Access Messages over web browser - WhatsApp
- Change color of macOS terminal prompt - MacOS
- Installing JD Decompiler plugin in Eclipse IDE - Eclipse
- Microsoft Lists and SharePoint Online edit grid view - use undo and redo changes - SharePoint