The Java Monitoring and Management Console - or simply called as jconsole is an advanced tool for Java developers to monitor and manage their Java Applications that are deployed on their local machine, or remote machines such as UAT (Staging) or Production environment. This tool comes very handily when there the developer wants to understand the following,
- What is the trend of the memory (heap) consumption of the application.
- To identify number of threads that are running (live threads).
- Total number of Classes that are loaded and currency in use.
- What is the trend of CPU utilization of the application over time.
How to Lauch jconsole using command Line?
Launching the monitoring tool is easy. just type jconsole in the command line (or Terminal if using Mac/Linux). You can also pass in optional parameters such as PID to launch the console with details of a JVM that you want to monitor.Syntax: jconsole [ options ] [ connection ... ]
When you fire this command the jconsole UI application will be launched and you will see something like this.
⚡️You can select the time range from 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour .. 1 day, ... 1 month, ... 12 months... All based on what time the issue might have occurred that you want to understand.
jconsole various tabs
- Overview tab: Shows the graphs of Heap Memory Usage, Threads, Classes and CPU Usage,
- Memory tab: In this tab, you can see detailed charts of all kinds of memory areas such as Heap, Non-Heap, and various Memory Pool. You can also perform garbage collection here.
- Threads tab: It provides detailed information of all the threads - you can look into the thread stacks and even identify deadlocks here.
- Classes tab: Again this provided more detailed info about the classes loaded and their charts.
- VM Summary tab: It looks something like this,
VM Summary Saturday, April 24, 2021, at 6:09:59 PM GMT Connection name: pid: 5401 jdk.jconsole/sun.tools.jconsole.JConsole Virtual Machine: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM version 184.108.40.206+1-LTS Vendor: Azul Systems, Inc. Name: firstname.lastname@example.org Uptime: 22 minutes Process CPU time: 1 minute JIT compiler: HotSpot 64-Bit Tiered Compilers Total compile time: 27.076 seconds Live threads: 38 Peak: 39 Daemon threads: 30 Total threads started: 51 Current classes loaded: 5,156 Total classes loaded: 5,158 Total classes unloaded: 2 Current heap size: 69,452 kbytes Maximum heap size: 2,097,152 kbytes Committed memory: 516,096 kbytes Pending finalization: 0 objects Garbage collector: Name = 'G1 Young Generation', Collections = 357, Total time spent = 0.446 seconds Garbage collector: Name = 'G1 Old Generation', Collections = 0, Total time spent = 0.000 seconds Operating System: Mac OS X 11.2.3 Architecture: aarch64 Number of processors: 8 Committed virtual memory: 414,543,728 kbytes Total physical memory: 8,388,608 kbytes Free physical memory: 61,648 kbytes Total swap space: 2,097,152 kbytes Free swap space: 794,624 kbytes VM arguments: -Dapplication.home=/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/zulu-11.jdk/Contents/Home --add-opens=java.base/java.io=jdk.jconsole -Djconsole.showOutputViewer -Djdk.attach.allowAttachSelf=true -Xms8m -Djdk.module.main=jdk.jconsole Class path: Library path: /Users/code2care/Library/Java/Extensions:/Library/Java/Extensions:/Network/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/usr/lib/java:. Boot class path: Unavailable
Have Questions? Post them here!
- Java -Day of the week using Java 8 DayOfWeek Enum
- Java: TimeZone List with GMT/UTC Offset
- Struts 2 Hello World Example in Eclipse
- Formatting Double in Java [Examples]
- Convert Java Array to ArrayList Code Example
- Exception in thread main java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: package javaClass
- How to serialize-deserialize an object in java
- Maven Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
- [Fix] java.net.MalformedURLException: unknown protocol
- [Java Threads] Should we extend Thread Class or implement Runnable interface
- connection.url property value in hibernate.cfg.xml for mysql
- IntelliJ: Error: Could not find or load main class, java.lang.ClassNotFoundException
- 5+ Fibonacci number Series Java Program Examples [ 0 1 1 2 3 ..]
- [Java] NoClassDefFoundError Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory
- Java Split String by Spaces
- Java SE 8 Update 301 available with various bug fixes and security improvements
- Java - PatternSyntaxException
- Split a String in Java with Examples
- Convert byte array to String in Java
- Run Java Code Every Second
- Difference between using Scanner Class and String args for user input in Java
- Remove Trailing zeros BigDecimal Java
- Best free Decompiler for Java
- Unsupported major.minor version 52.0 in java
- java.io.IOException: Unable to locate resource handler.properties
- How to change default macOS Terminal Window size - MacOS
- What is FCM Messages Test Notification! [Microsoft Teams] [Google Hangouts] - Microsoft
- Android : No Launcher activity found! Error - Android
- reCaptcha Verification expired. Check the checkbox again - Html
- How to add border to Android Button - Android