The Java Monitoring and Management Console - or simply called as jconsole is an advanced tool for Java developers to monitor and manage their Java Applications that are deployed on their local machine, or remote machines such as UAT (Staging) or Production environment. This tool comes very handily when there the developer wants to understand the following,
- What is the trend of the memory (heap) consumption of the application.
- To identify number of threads that are running (live threads).
- Total number of Classes that are loaded and currency in use.
- What is the trend of CPU utilization of the application over time.
How to Lauch jconsole using command Line?
Launching the monitoring tool is easy. just type jconsole in the command line (or Terminal if using Mac/Linux). You can also pass in optional parameters such as PID to launch the console with details of a JVM that you want to monitor.Syntax: jconsole [ options ] [ connection ... ]
When you fire this command the jconsole UI application will be launched and you will see something like this.
⚡️You can select the time range from 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour .. 1 day, ... 1 month, ... 12 months... All based on what time the issue might have occurred that you want to understand.
jconsole various tabs
- Overview tab: Shows the graphs of Heap Memory Usage, Threads, Classes and CPU Usage,
- Memory tab: In this tab, you can see detailed charts of all kinds of memory areas such as Heap, Non-Heap, and various Memory Pool. You can also perform garbage collection here.
- Threads tab: It provides detailed information of all the threads - you can look into the thread stacks and even identify deadlocks here.
- Classes tab: Again this provided more detailed info about the classes loaded and their charts.
- VM Summary tab: It looks something like this,
VM Summary Saturday, April 24, 2021, at 6:09:59 PM GMT Connection name: pid: 5401 jdk.jconsole/sun.tools.jconsole.JConsole Virtual Machine: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM version 188.8.131.52+1-LTS Vendor: Azul Systems, Inc. Name: email@example.com Uptime: 22 minutes Process CPU time: 1 minute JIT compiler: HotSpot 64-Bit Tiered Compilers Total compile time: 27.076 seconds Live threads: 38 Peak: 39 Daemon threads: 30 Total threads started: 51 Current classes loaded: 5,156 Total classes loaded: 5,158 Total classes unloaded: 2 Current heap size: 69,452 kbytes Maximum heap size: 2,097,152 kbytes Committed memory: 516,096 kbytes Pending finalization: 0 objects Garbage collector: Name = 'G1 Young Generation', Collections = 357, Total time spent = 0.446 seconds Garbage collector: Name = 'G1 Old Generation', Collections = 0, Total time spent = 0.000 seconds Operating System: Mac OS X 11.2.3 Architecture: aarch64 Number of processors: 8 Committed virtual memory: 414,543,728 kbytes Total physical memory: 8,388,608 kbytes Free physical memory: 61,648 kbytes Total swap space: 2,097,152 kbytes Free swap space: 794,624 kbytes VM arguments: -Dapplication.home=/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/zulu-11.jdk/Contents/Home --add-opens=java.base/java.io=jdk.jconsole -Djconsole.showOutputViewer -Djdk.attach.allowAttachSelf=true -Xms8m -Djdk.module.main=jdk.jconsole Class path: Library path: /Users/code2care/Library/Java/Extensions:/Library/Java/Extensions:/Network/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/usr/lib/java:. Boot class path: Unavailable
Have Questions? Post them here!
- Java JDBC Connection with Database using SSL (https) URL
- [Solution] IntelliJ: Cannot find declaration to go to, Nothing here, Java file outside of source root Errors
- Java get day of the week as an int using DayOfWeek
- Your JBoss Application Server 7 is running However you have not yet added any users to be able to access the admin console
- Convert Instant timestamp into LocalDateTime Java Code Example
- [Program] How to read three different values using Scanner in Java
- [Java] NoClassDefFoundError Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogFactory
- Read and Parse XML file using Java DOM Parser [Java Tutorial]
- Truncate table using Java JDBC Example
- Add two numbers using Java Generics
- Spring Boot Web + Thymeleaf Hello World Example in IntelliJ in 5 Easy Steps
- Java JDBC Connection with MySQL Driver in VS Code + Troubleshooting
- Java SE JDBC with Prepared Statement Parameterized Select Example
- Java JDBC Batch Update Example with PreparedStatement
- Convert String to int in Java
- How to declare and initialize Array in Java Programming
- Java 8 Predicate Functional Interface Examples
- [fix] The declared package does not match the expected package
- Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end users experience
- [Fix] java: integer number too large compilation error
- List of Java Keywords
- Tutorial Java SOAP WebServices JAS-WS with Eclipse J2EE IDE and Tomcat Server Part 1
- JBoss stuck loading JBAS015899: AS 7.1.1.Final Brontes starting
- Java java.time.Clock class code examples [Java Date Time API]
- Java monitoring and management console [jconsole]
- How to get Java Thread name Example [Program] - Java
- What Java version is used for Minecraft 1.18 - Java
- sudo is not recognized as an internal or external command - Windows
- MySQL : Error :1004 SQLSTATE: HY000 (ER_CANT_CREATE_FILE) Can't create file - MySQL
- How to configure PDF iFilter for SharePoint - SharePoint
- [fix] Editor could not be opened unexpected error: File is a directory (VS Code) - HowTos
- How to display only IP address using Terminal command - HowTos
- Create assets folder in Android Studio - Android-Studio