SharePoint works best with Internet Explorer, but we have seen compatibility issues with different IE versions as well.
Though SharePoint goes well with Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, and other browsers too, there is some functionality that works best with IE and there are few which work only with IE.Problem - Editing Office documents within SharePoint
You may come across a problem while editing SharePoint documents when you click the ECB Menu option "Edit in Microsoft Office/Excel". This action will display a message as below -
'Edit Document' requires a Windows SharePoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or greater.Solution
Use a 32-bit IE version, this will not work with 64-bit IE versions.
Even if you have 64-bit IE installed, you can access the 32-bit version from here - C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exeIMPORTANT
Microsoft uses ActiveX controls for some SharePoint functionality and they work with only 32-Bit versions of Internet Explorer browser.
Other browsers like Chrome, Firefox do not support ActiveX and hence this functionality will not work with these browsers.
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- SharePoint Excel error - The workbook cannot be opened because it contains the following features that are not supported by Excel in the browser - SharePoint
- How to identify installed Java (JDK) Version on macOS - MacOS
- Generate Project Dependency tree using Gradle Command - Gradle
- Take input argument from command line in Python Programming - Python
- Android R Cannot Be Resolved To A Variable - Android
- [Fix] Ubuntu E: Unable to locate package sudo error - Ubuntu
- [Hibernate] The method buildSessionFactory() from the type Configuration is deprecated - Java
- [Solution] IDEA IntelliJ System.out.println function shortcut (sysout alternative for eclipse IDE) - HowTos