If you are using Vi/Vim editor to read a text file and want to move your cursor to the first character of the line i.e. at the start of the line, you can make use of the ^ (caret) symbol on your keyboard,Example:
- Open your file in vi editor - vi myFile.txt
- Now be on the line you want to move to the start of.
- Press ^ character on your keyboard (mostly should Shift + 6 key)
- You would see your cursor moves at the first char of the line.
⚠️ Make sure that you are not in Insert Mode, or else you would see that the character ^ will get added to the text and this shortcut won't work, press Esc (Escape) key to come out of Insert Mode and then try the command.
⚡️ On Windows Operating system keyboard you can make use of Home and End keys as well to get this behavior.
Usecase: Imagine someone is working a terminal on a file that does not have a line break (\r \n) then it would be very difficult to get to the start of the line using the right and left arrow keys!
Hashtags: #vi #vim #viMacOs #macOS #viTips #viCommands
- How to find path of file on Mac Terminal
- How to disable Siri on Mac Monterey
- [fix] macOS Ventura xcrun: error: invalid active developer path missing xcrun at: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/xcrun
- Select Line Number TextEdit on Mac
- Go to Specific file path using Mac Finder
- How to find Java HOME in Mac Terminal
- bash: command not found error [macOS Terminal Linux, Unix or Windows]
- Must Know Homebrew Commands for Mac/Linux Users
- How to Insert an Inverted Question Mark on Mac ¿
- Hide Keyboard Text Input Icon on macOS Ventura Menu Bar
- How to make macOS Terminal window Transparent (or Opaque)
- How to check of Updates on Microsoft Edge Browser on Mac (macOS)
- Limit scrollback rows in macOS Terminal
- How to identify installed Java (JDK) Version on macOS
- Keyboard Shortcut to delete a file on a Mac [Macbook]
- Open Docker from Terminal Command on Mac
- Installing MongoDB on Linux/Unix/macOS/Ubuntu
- How to take a screenshot on a Mac - updated for Ventura 13 [updated 2023]
- ls: .: Operation not permitted - Mac Terminal ZSH Error
- How to remove username from Mac Menu Bar?
- macOS Ventura XCode Command Line Tools Installation
- Where is .zshrc file located in macOS
- How to Show Path of Files or App in Mac Spotlight Search
- How to enable root user on Mac Terminal
- Install Java 17 (LTS) JDK on ARM based M1/M2 Mac Natively
- Error code 0xCAA82EE2: Something went wrong (request timed out) [Microsoft] - Microsoft
- Struts 2 : There is no Action mapped for namespace [/] and action name [form] associated with context path [/proj] - Java
- Customize Praise badge for Microsoft Teams with own images, values, brand - Microsoft
- INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE Error Android Emulator - Android
- remove div vertical scroll - Html
- Select Line Number TextEdit on Mac - MacOS
- [fix] fatal: pathspec index.html did not match any files error - Git
- How to extract Java Jar/War/Ear files in Linux - Java