You have granted permissions to an external user to your SharePoint site, list, document library or document, but they receive an error stating that the account can't be found in the tenant.sharepoint.com directory.
That didn't work
We're sorry but [EXTERNAL USER ACCOUNT] can't be found in the [company.sharepoint.com] directory. Please try again later, while we try to automatically fix this for you.
The message provides some additional information -
- Correlation ID - Which is of not much help in SharePoint Online
- Date and Time - Time stamp of error
- URL - SharePoint link which the external user could not access
- User - Email account of the external user
- Issue Type - User not in directory
Common Causes of this error
- External account is not permitted to access the link, access is not granted.
- (MOST COMMON) External user is using a different account to access the link, which does not have access. The account should be same which received the email invitation.
- External user has not accepted the invitation and directly accessing the link.
FIX - go in sequence to narrow down the problem
- First things first, double check that external access is enabled for your Tenant and SharePoint site. There is no harm in rechecking.
- Go to Site Settings --> Users and Permissions --> Access Requests --> EXTERNAL USER INVITATIONS / HISTORY, the status in history should show 'Accepted by USER'. If it shows pending, ask user to click the link from email invitation.
- Re-assign permissions to the external account. This will send a fresh email invitation to the external user, ask them to click the invitation link received in email.
- Ensure that the account used is the same to which access was given and email invitation was received.
- Using Chrome Incognito or IE/Edge InPrivate always helps. There will be conflict when accessing 2 Office 365 accounts in the same browser window, this will even rule out cache/cookie problems. Ask the external user to open a private browser session and try accessing.
- Select 'Organizational Account' if user has an Office 365 account, select 'Microsoft Account' for any other account.
- Remove the user (not permissions, remove the user entry completely) from SharePoint by going to 'All users' list by appending _layouts/15/people.aspx/membershipGroupId=0 to your site.
- Remove user from Office 365 portal by going to Users --> Active Users.
More Posts related to SharePoint,
- Move Copy Migrate SharePoint OneDrive files folders to different site collection location
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- How to share SharePoint site or document with all users in organization
- Get-ADUser PowerShell - Get AD user details using email address
- error CAML Query containing special characters
- Access URL for SharePoint Tenant Admin Center (Online Office 365)
- Fix SharePoint Error - The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started
- SharePoint - The URL is invalid. It may refer to a nonexistent file or folder, or refer to a valid file or folder that is not in the current Web.
- How to delete SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.Net
- How to Share Microsoft SharePoint Site with Users or Groups
- JSON column formatting to preview SharePoint Online file on mouse hover
- SharePoint List redirect user after submitting form NewForm.aspx
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- How to create SharePoint Document Library
- How to Get or Set SharePoint Document ID _dlc_DocId using PowerShell
- How to disable SharePoint subsite creation option for owners
- PowerShell - How to use Try Catch Finally blocks for error exception handling (Windows/SharePoint)
- SharePoint error - Your organization doesn't allow sharing with users from this domain. Please contact your IT department for help. (OSE403)
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- How to wrap column text in SharePoint Online Modern List Grid View using JSON formatting
- How to extend retiring SharePoint 2010 Workflows and continue with Office 365
- Changed AD user display name showing old name in SharePoint
- How to hide or remove quick launch left navigation from SharePoint Online Modern site page
- How to enable anonymous public access for SharePoint Online site collection, file, folder without login ?
- java: ']' expected error [fixed] - Java
- How to install Java OpenJDK 11 on Alpine Linux - Java
- Take input argument from command line in Python Programming - Python
- Java: TimeZone List with GMT/UTC Offset - Java
- MySQL Query for Schema/Structure of a Table - MySQL
- How to make a div tag clickable - Html
- How to change TextView or EditText Text Color on Focus and on Press - Android
- TypeError: must be str, not int [Fix Python] - Python
another TIP - if you remove the user and try to reassign permissions, it may take up to 12-24 hours until the external user is removed from the SharePoint Online site collection.
$cred = Get-Credential
Connect-SPOService -Url https://tenant-admin.sharepoint.com -Credential $cred
$ExtUser = Get-SPOExternalUser -filter <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Remove-SPOExternalUser -UniqueIDs @($ExtUser.UniqueId)