⚠️IMPORTANT - SharePoint 2010 workflows are going away, retiring in November 01 2020 - Read more here (how to stop SharePoint 2010 workflow retirement and request for extension ?).You will see a reminder banner like this one on the workflow pages.
With so many questions - how to migrate ? can I use a tool ? timelines ? man power ? cost ? budget ?
Just one answer - There is no direct migration available and possible.
Microsoft (or any tool like ShareGate, Metalogix, SharePoint Migration Tool) does not provide any easy way to move or copy classic workflows from SharePoint 2010/2013 to latest SharePoint on-premise versions or SharePoint Online. It has to be fully manual approch.
Select a way forward
- Migrate (Re design) using Power Automate Flow (preferred)
- Migrate to SharePoint 2016 workflows in SharePoint Online(available till year 2026)
- Migrate to latest SharePoint on-prem versions (support available)
- Migrate (Re design) to Azure Logic Apps
- Use a tool which can (partially) help in migration
If you are migrating to Office 365 SharePoint Online, the SharePoint 2010 workflows can get migrated as-is with tools like ShareGate, but they will not work beyond Nov 2020. If you are a new customer, 2010 workflows will be disabled and not allowed.
Why use Power Automate (FLOW) ?Microsoft (and SharePoint) have evolved to provide better and flexible modern experiences to it's customers. SharePoint modern experiences integrates very well with the Microsoft 365 ecosystem services and works flawlessly with other Office 365 and Azure Services. It also takes care of security, productivity and collaboration.
Power Automate helps users and businesses to create automated workflows between your favorite apps (SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams, Yammer, OneNote, Azure and more) and services to get notifications, collect data, automate business policies and much more.
Power Automate is the way forward and will eventually replace SharePoint Designer workflows. Leave SharePoint Designer workflows and move ahead!
Why I should not upgrade to 2013 workflow ?Though you can move to 2013, these workflows will also retire at some point in future. It's better to invest time and money only once.
Opt for Power Automate as its here to stay forever.
What I need to know for migrating ?Most important, you need to be aware of the functional logic of your classic workflows. A consultant or developer can help you redesign the workflows in FLOW, but you should be familiar with the process flow.
How to check how many SharePoint 2010 workflow are in my Tenant environment ?Use SharePoint Modernization Scanner to run an inventory for your Tenant and get report in excel which can be analyzed - refer here.
Limitations of Power Automate compared to classic workflowsCan be overcome with workarounds
- Flow can run only till 30 days - SharePoint Designer workflow can run endlessly.
- Workflow history storage - History preserved in FLOW context for 28 days. You need to add logs to list for tracking.
- HTTP Connector - Premium paid connector for REST API calls.
- Reusable Flows - This is a great feature with designer workflows.
- Impersonation - Not readily available in FLOW. Designer workflows allowed executing an action based on admin/system account.
You can use combination of triggers and actions in Power Automate to setup workflows, approvals, scheduled jobs.
Read more on Microsoft site.
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- Aw Snap! Something went wrong while displaying this webpage Error code: STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH - Chrome
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct - SharePoint
- Add scroll to div element in HTML Css - CSS
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile - SharePoint
- Transfer files between Android and Mac OS X using usb cable - Mac-OS-X