⚠️IMPORTANT - SharePoint 2010 workflows are going away, retiring in November 01 2020 - Read more here (how to stop SharePoint 2010 workflow retirement and request for extension ?).You will see a reminder banner like this one on the workflow pages.
With so many questions - how to migrate ? can I use a tool ? timelines ? man power ? cost ? budget ?
Just one answer - There is no direct migration available and possible.
Microsoft (or any tool like ShareGate, Metalogix, SharePoint Migration Tool) does not provide any easy way to move or copy classic workflows from SharePoint 2010/2013 to latest SharePoint on-premise versions or SharePoint Online. It has to be fully manual approch.
Select a way forward
- Migrate (Re design) using Power Automate Flow (preferred)
- Migrate to SharePoint 2016 workflows in SharePoint Online(available till year 2026)
- Migrate to latest SharePoint on-prem versions (support available)
- Migrate (Re design) to Azure Logic Apps
- Use a tool which can (partially) help in migration
If you are migrating to Office 365 SharePoint Online, the SharePoint 2010 workflows can get migrated as-is with tools like ShareGate, but they will not work beyond Nov 2020. If you are a new customer, 2010 workflows will be disabled and not allowed.
Why use Power Automate (FLOW) ?Microsoft (and SharePoint) have evolved to provide better and flexible modern experiences to it's customers. SharePoint modern experiences integrates very well with the Microsoft 365 ecosystem services and works flawlessly with other Office 365 and Azure Services. It also takes care of security, productivity and collaboration.
Power Automate helps users and businesses to create automated workflows between your favorite apps (SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams, Yammer, OneNote, Azure and more) and services to get notifications, collect data, automate business policies and much more.
Power Automate is the way forward and will eventually replace SharePoint Designer workflows. Leave SharePoint Designer workflows and move ahead!
Why I should not upgrade to 2013 workflow ?Though you can move to 2013, these workflows will also retire at some point in future. It's better to invest time and money only once.
Opt for Power Automate as its here to stay forever.
What I need to know for migrating ?Most important, you need to be aware of the functional logic of your classic workflows. A consultant or developer can help you redesign the workflows in FLOW, but you should be familiar with the process flow.
How to check how many SharePoint 2010 workflow are in my Tenant environment ?Use SharePoint Modernization Scanner to run an inventory for your Tenant and get report in excel which can be analyzed - refer here.
Limitations of Power Automate compared to classic workflowsCan be overcome with workarounds
- Flow can run only till 30 days - SharePoint Designer workflow can run endlessly.
- Workflow history storage - History preserved in FLOW context for 28 days. You need to add logs to list for tracking.
- HTTP Connector - Premium paid connector for REST API calls.
- Reusable Flows - This is a great feature with designer workflows.
- Impersonation - Not readily available in FLOW. Designer workflows allowed executing an action based on admin/system account.
You can use combination of triggers and actions in Power Automate to setup workflows, approvals, scheduled jobs.
Read more on Microsoft site.
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- SharePoint 2010 DataForm Unable to display this Web Part System.StackOverflowException
- SharePoint List redirect user after submitting form NewForm.aspx
- How to retrieve all SharePoint Online List Items using Rest API
- SharePoint workflow Canceled - Coercion Failed: Unable to transform the input lookup data into the requested type
- SharePoint error cannot connect to the configuration database
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- How to create SharePoint List Item programmatically
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- Sharepoint Server 2016 installation Prerequisites with download links
- Sharepoint errors were found when compiling the workflow
- Send Email with attachment using SharePoint PowerShell, SMTP server
- Sign in as different user missing in SharePoint 2013
- SharePoint List excel import - This table exceeds the maximum number of supported rows
- SharePoint Managed Metadata Hidden Taxonomy List - TaxonomyHiddenList
- Changed AD user display name showing old name in SharePoint
- How to migrate SharePoint Designer 2010 workflow to Power Automate FLOW (Microsoft Office 365)
- SharePoint Server 2016 error Microsoft Office Online Server 2016 cant be installed on the same machine as a Microsoft SharePoint Server product
- Fix SharePoint 2019 installation error This product requires Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2017
- Deploy SharePoint wsp solution package using PowerShell
- How to delete SharePoint List Item programmatically
- New-SPLogFile PowerShell - create new SharePoint log file
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and Merge-SPlogfile
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- SharePoint 2010 August 2015 Update KB3055049 - Duplicate Document ID issue bug fixed
- Bypass domain name for IIS site (SharePoint)
- SharePoint error - Your organization doesn't allow sharing with users from this domain. Please contact your IT department for help.
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- SharePoint list excel import error - Title is a required filed and can't be empty
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- Cannot load PowerApps form in SharePoint Online due to repeated authentication
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- SharePoint Designer Workflow error - Coercion Failed: Input cannot be null for this coercion
- Get-ADUser PowerShell - Get AD user details using email address
- PowerShell iterate and get all SharePoint sites and sub sites
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint excel error - A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator.
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Recover SharePoint if the SQL Server IP changes
- SharePoint PowerShell Merge-SPLogFile filter by time using StartTime EndTime
- SharePoint formula - Calculated columns cannot contain volatile functions like Today and Me
- [Solved] SharePoint System.IO.FileNotFoundException was unhandled
- Android : java.lang.IllegalArgumentException File contains a path separator - Android
- Calculate Volume of Cylinder - C-Program
- How to add hint text in bootstrap input text field and text area - Bootstrap
- Android Studio emulator/Device logCat logs not displayed - Android-Studio
- Copy file from one directory to other in Php - PHP
- Calculate Volume of Ellipsoid - C-Program
- AVD Pixel_2_API_15 is already running. [Android Studio] - Android-Studio
- SharePoint 2010 August 2015 Update KB3055049 - Duplicate Document ID issue bug fixed - SharePoint
- Get Browser Screen Width and Height dynamically using jquery - jQuery
- Multiple line editing in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error - SharePoint
- SharePoint Server 2016 Preview installation error - This Product Key isn't a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Product Key. Check that you've entered it correctly. - SharePoint
- How to kill tomcat server process using Mac Terminal Command - Tomcat
- Detect Data roaming in Android Application - Android