⚠️IMPORTANT - SharePoint 2010 workflows are going away, retiring in November 01 2020 - Read more here (how to stop SharePoint 2010 workflow retirement and request for extension ?).You will see a reminder banner like this one on the workflow pages.
With the classic SharePoint 2010 workflows retiring soon, everyone is talking about the possibility to migrate them to Power Automate Flows.
With so many questions - how to migrate ? can I use a tool ? timelines ? man power ? cost ? budget ?
Just one answer - There is no direct migration available and possible.
Microsoft (or any tool like ShareGate, Metalogix, SharePoint Migration Tool) does not provide any easy way to move or copy classic workflows from SharePoint 2010/2013 to latest SharePoint on-premise versions or SharePoint Online. It has to be fully manual approch.
Select a way forward
- Migrate (Re design) using Power Automate Flow (preferred)
- Migrate to SharePoint 2016 workflows in SharePoint Online(available till year 2026)
- Migrate to latest SharePoint on-prem versions (support available)
- Migrate (Re design) to Azure Logic Apps
- Use a tool which can (partially) help in migration
If you are migrating to Office 365 SharePoint Online, the SharePoint 2010 workflows can get migrated as-is with tools like ShareGate, but they will not work beyond Nov 2020. If you are a new customer, 2010 workflows will be disabled and not allowed.
Why use Power Automate (FLOW) ?Microsoft (and SharePoint) have evolved to provide better and flexible modern experiences to it's customers. SharePoint modern experiences integrates very well with the Microsoft 365 ecosystem services and works flawlessly with other Office 365 and Azure Services. It also takes care of security, productivity and collaboration.
Power Automate helps users and businesses to create automated workflows between your favorite apps (SharePoint, OneDrive, Teams, Yammer, OneNote, Azure and more) and services to get notifications, collect data, automate business policies and much more.
Power Automate is the way forward and will eventually replace SharePoint Designer workflows. Leave SharePoint Designer workflows and move ahead!
Why I should not upgrade to 2013 workflow ?Though you can move to 2013, these workflows will also retire at some point in future. It's better to invest time and money only once.
Opt for Power Automate as its here to stay forever.
What I need to know for migrating ?Most important, you need to be aware of the functional logic of your classic workflows. A consultant or developer can help you redesign the workflows in FLOW, but you should be familiar with the process flow.
How to check how many SharePoint 2010 workflow are in my Tenant environment ?Use SharePoint Modernization Scanner to run an inventory for your Tenant and get report in excel which can be analyzed - refer here.
Limitations of Power Automate compared to classic workflowsCan be overcome with workarounds
- Flow can run only till 30 days - SharePoint Designer workflow can run endlessly.
- Workflow history storage - History preserved in FLOW context for 28 days. You need to add logs to list for tracking.
- HTTP Connector - Premium paid connector for REST API calls.
- Reusable Flows - This is a great feature with designer workflows.
- Impersonation - Not readily available in FLOW. Designer workflows allowed executing an action based on admin/system account.
You can use combination of triggers and actions in Power Automate to setup workflows, approvals, scheduled jobs.
Read more on Microsoft site.
- I see this message on workflow history page "Starting 11/1/2020 6:00:00 AM, SharePoint 2010 workflows will be retired and users will no longer have the ability to run or create 2010 Workflows.". Can I stop this form happening? even if it incurs cost?
anon 26 Oct 2020 22:58:25 GMT
- From Microsoft blog https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sharepoint-2010-workflow-retirement-1ca3fff8-9985-410a-85aa-8120f626965f?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US - "User-defined workflows have been disabled by the SharePoint Administrator. User defined workflows will be unable to run."
anon 26 Oct 2020 00:12:34 GMT
- How to migrate SharePoint 2010 workflows to SharePoint Online ? You cannot migrate using a tool, everything need to be redone using Power Automate flows.
anon 12 Oct 2020 22:58:25 GMT
- migrate to SharePoint Designer 2013 workflows
anon 22 Sep 2020 11:43:10 GMT
- Further comments disabled!
More Posts related to SharePoint,
- Move Copy Migrate SharePoint OneDrive files folders to different site collection location
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- How to share SharePoint site or document with all users in organization
- Get-ADUser PowerShell - Get AD user details using email address
- error CAML Query containing special characters
- Access URL for SharePoint Tenant Admin Center (Online Office 365)
- Fix SharePoint Error - The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started
- SharePoint - The URL is invalid. It may refer to a nonexistent file or folder, or refer to a valid file or folder that is not in the current Web.
- How to delete SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.Net
- How to Share Microsoft SharePoint Site with Users or Groups
- JSON column formatting to preview SharePoint Online file on mouse hover
- SharePoint List redirect user after submitting form NewForm.aspx
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- How to create SharePoint Document Library
- How to Get or Set SharePoint Document ID _dlc_DocId using PowerShell
- How to disable SharePoint subsite creation option for owners
- PowerShell - How to use Try Catch Finally blocks for error exception handling (Windows/SharePoint)
- SharePoint error - Your organization doesn't allow sharing with users from this domain. Please contact your IT department for help. (OSE403)
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- How to wrap column text in SharePoint Online Modern List Grid View using JSON formatting
- How to extend retiring SharePoint 2010 Workflows and continue with Office 365
- Changed AD user display name showing old name in SharePoint
- How to hide or remove quick launch left navigation from SharePoint Online Modern site page
- How to enable anonymous public access for SharePoint Online site collection, file, folder without login ?
- Android Studio Button onClickListener Example - Android-Studio
- SharePoint 2016 error - Could not find file ManageUserProfileServiceApplicationTenantSimplified.xml - SharePoint
- [Hibernate] The method buildSessionFactory() from the type Configuration is deprecated - Java
- [Solved] Notepad++ Menu Bar Missing - NotepadPlusPlus
- How to install iTerm2 Mac Terminal Alternative - MacOS
- Maven Unsupported major.minor version 51.0 - Java
- Flash Player will no longer be supported after December 2020. Turn off [Google Chrome] - Chrome
- Pass data between two Android Activities and access it using Intent - Android