Microsoft recently announced that they would be retiring the SharePoint 2010 workflows from November 01 2020. That's the end of life.
Though they say "migrate your legacy workflows by then", there is no direct migration available, you will have to redesign workflows using Power Automate (formerly Microsoft FLOW).
An extract stating how this will affect your organization.
"If your organization still uses SharePoint 2010 workflows, they will no longer function after November 1st, 2020. SharePoint 2013 workflows will remain supported, although turned off by default for new tenants starting November 1st, 2020. We recommend customers to move to Power Automate or other supported solutions."
Procedure to request extension from MicrosoftThis year has not been so good due to the Covid-19 situation and most organizations have cost optimizations and budget restrictions to look after. If you feel you are not ready yet, hurry as you don't have much time !
- Install SharePoint Modernization Scanner tool to scan and generate a report of how many active 2010 Workflows are running in your environment
- Analyse the report to get count of legacy workflows and possibility of direct migration
- Open a case with Microsoft support team requesting extension by providing a justification on why extension is required (like you need more time to migrate the workflows), attach the scanner report with the ticket
- Microsoft product team will analyse and may consider extension for your tenant based on number of legacy 2010 workflows
All said, its recommended you start planning redesign of SharePoint 2010 workflows (and 2013 too) using Power Automate which is very powerful and Microsoft's best solution for workflows.
What will be impacted ?
- Post August 01 2020, SharePoint 2010 workflows will be turned off for new Microsoft Office 365 tenants.
- Post November 01 2020, SharePoint 2010 workflow service will be removed for existing tenants. New and existing SharePoint 2010 workflows will not run.
- Out Of the Box Approval workflow.
- Out Of the Box Collect feedback workflow.
- Out Of the Box Collect signatures workflow.
- Classic pages publishing approval workflow.
- Three state workflow.
- Custom SharePoint Designer based 2010 workflow.
- SharePoint Designer 2010 will not work, already depricated.
What will not be impacted ?
- SharePoint 2013 workflows. They will be turned off by default for new tenants, but can be enabled using PowerShell script.
- SharePoint on premise 2016 and 2019 versions will have support till year 2026.
- SharePoint Designer 2013 for on premise and Online versions till 2026.
SharePoint User Voice
If you are not ready yet and want Microsoft to hear your plea, vote and give feedback
MC222628 - New reminder banner in workflow pagesMicrosoft will add a new banner that will be displayed on multiple workflow pages to remind users about the upcoming retirement. The banner will read like below, date will vary for individual Tenant.
Starting November 1, 2020 6:00:00 AM, SharePoint 2010 workflows will be retired and users will no longer have the ability to run or create 2010 Workflows. The date displayed in the banner applies to your specific organization. For general dates and information about retirement, visit https://aka.ms/sp-workflows-support
- General dates and information about retirement
- SharePoint Modernization Scanner tool to scan your tenants for legacy workflow usage
- Guidance for migrating from classic workflows to Power Automate flows
- Power Automate resources as a solution to legacy workflows
- Support article with additional resources
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..