Microsoft recently announced that they would be retiring the SharePoint 2010 workflows from November 01, 2020. That's the end of life.
Though they say "migrate your legacy workflows by then", there is no direct migration available, you will have to redesign workflows using Power Automate (formerly Microsoft FLOW).
An extract stating how this will affect your organization.
"If your organization still uses SharePoint 2010 workflows, they will no longer function after November 1st, 2020. SharePoint 2013 workflows will remain supported, although turned off by default for new tenants starting November 1st, 2020. We recommend customers to move to Power Automate or other supported solutions."
Procedure to request extension from Microsoft
This year has not been so good due to the Covid-19 situation and most organizations have cost optimizations and budget restrictions to look after. If you feel you are not ready yet, hurry as you don't have much time!
- Install SharePoint Modernization Scanner tool to scan and generate a report of how many active 2010 Workflows are running in your environment
- Analyse the report to get count of legacy workflows and possibility of direct migration
- Open a case with Microsoft support team requesting an extension by providing a justification on why the extension is required (like you need more time to migrate the workflows), attach the scanner report with the ticket
- Microsoft product team will analyze and may consider an extension for your tenant based on the number of legacy 2010 workflows
All said it's recommended you start planning a redesign of SharePoint 2010 workflows (and 2013 too) using Power Automate which is very powerful and Microsoft's best solution for workflows.
What will be impacted ?
- Post August 01, 2020, SharePoint 2010 workflows will be turned off for new Microsoft Office 365 tenants.
- Post-November 01, 2020, SharePoint 2010 workflow service will be removed for existing tenants. New and existing SharePoint 2010 workflows will not run.
- Out Of the Box Approval workflow.
- Out Of the Box Collect feedback workflow.
- Out Of the Box Collect signatures workflow.
- Classic pages publishing approval workflow.
- Three state workflow.
- Custom SharePoint Designer-based 2010 workflow.
- SharePoint Designer 2010 will not work, already deprecated.
What will not be impacted ?
- SharePoint 2013 workflows. They will be turned off by default for new tenants but can be enabled using PowerShell script.
- SharePoint on-premise 2016 and 2019 versions will have support till the year 2026.
- SharePoint Designer 2013 for on-premise and Online versions till 2026.
SharePoint User Voice
If you are not ready yet and want Microsoft to hear your plea, vote and give feedback here.
MC222628 - New reminder banner in workflow pages
Microsoft will add a new banner that will be displayed on multiple workflow pages to remind users about the upcoming retirement. The banner will read like the below, the date will vary for individual Tenants.
Starting November 1, 2020, at 6:00:00 AM, SharePoint 2010 workflows will be retired and users will no longer have the ability to run or create 2010 Workflows. The date displayed in the banner applies to your specific organization. For general dates and information about retirement, visit https://aka.ms/sp-workflows-support
- General dates and information about retirement
- SharePoint Modernization Scanner tool to scan your tenants for legacy workflow usage
- Guidance for migrating from classic workflows to Power Automate flows
- Power Automate resources as a solution to legacy workflows
- Support article with additional resources
Have Questions? Post them here!
- SharePoint Server 2016 setup error - A system restart from a previous installation or update is pending. Restart your computer and run setup to continue.
- Trigger Flow on selected Listitem from SharePoint view - create button with JSON column formatting
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- SharePoint Managed Metadata Hidden Taxonomy List - TaxonomyHiddenList
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- How to enable anonymous public access for SharePoint Online site collection, file, folder without login ?
- How to Display Excel Spreadsheet on SharePoint site
- SharePoint error cannot connect to the configuration database
- SharePoint Server 2016 error - Failed to connect to the configuration database
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- SharePoint list excel import error - Title is a required filed and can't be empty
- Show Hide SharePoint column in List Library form with the conditional formula
- How to hide or remove quick launch left navigation from SharePoint Online Modern site page
- Access URL for SharePoint Tenant Admin Center (Online Office 365)
- Fix SharePoint 2019 installation error This product requires Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2017
- How to Share Microsoft SharePoint Site with Users or Groups
- Fix - SharePoint Online List column JSON formatting for person group field displays [object, Object]
- How to create SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.net
- How to show or hide columns in SharePoint Online List Library from
- How to change SharePoint Online site collection or subsite URL address
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Setup synonyms or alias or thesaurus in SharePoint
- Error when deleting SharePoint Online folder or file
- How to add borders to tkinter label text - Python
- Get Desc of Table using Java JDBC - Java
- [fix] Chrome: no listeners for an event URLS_SAFE_CHECK__STATUS_UPDATED - Chrome
- Adding internet permission to Android Project - Android
- Remove duplicate lines using Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo - SharePoint
- Find Java JRE Installation location Mac OS X - Mac-OS-X
- Android : IOException: Unable to open sync connection! - Android