As there is no Print Screen button on a Mac Keyboard as you may find on Windows, you can either use Keyboard shortcuts or make use of the available Menu Options that we can use to capture screens.
Here is how you can take a screenshot on a Mac (like what we call print screen on Windows) without Keyboard
1. Preview App: If you do not want to use keyboard key combinations to take a screenshot (print-screen/screen capture) there is an option available using Preview App
- Goto Spotlight Search and look for Preview App and open it,
- Now you must see that Preview Menu bar is loaded
- Now goto File -> Take Screenshot
There are 3 options available,
- From Selection
This will make the cursor pointer as a cross-wire, when you click and drag a portion of the window gets selected and will be displayed with Preview App.
- From Window..
When you select this option, your mouse pointer turns into a Camera icon and it highlights the selectable windows that are available on the screen, when you click, the selected window is captured and displayed with Preview App.
- From Entire Screen
When you select this option, you would see that a message is popped up at the center of the screen saying "Countdown to Screenshot has started" and after few seconds the entire window image is taken displayed with the Preview App.
⛏️ Advantage of taking a Screenshot with preview App.
There are a few advantages of taking a Screen Shot using the Preview App,
- It lets you edit the image on a go, before being saved. It lets you do some basic editing on the image like rotation, cropping, adding text, and so on ..
- You can save the image in formats other them Png like JPEG, JPEG-2000, OpenEXR, PDF, and TIFF.
2. Grab App: There is another application that lets you take screenshots, you may find it under /Applications/Utilities/
a. Open Grab (type Grab in Spotlight search)
b. Now on the Grab menu, select Capture, you get the following options,
- Time Section
✌️This works on all Mac computers: iMac's, Mac Mini, Macbook Air's or Pros running macOS (Catalina, Mojave, Big Sur)
Have Questions? Post them here!
- Location of eclipse.ini file on Mac OS X
- How to enable Do Not Disturb mode for Notification Center in Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite
- Save webpage as pdf in Google Chrome for Mac OS X
- Spell check not working in Gmail : Mac OS X
- [Mac] To open Eclipse you need to install the legacy java se 6 runtime
- Mac OS X Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine
- Transfer files between Android and Mac OS X using usb cable
- Mac Studio Display Buzzing sound from the Monitor
- Kill or force quit stuck application or process in Mac OS X
- Take Screenshot on Mac OS X (Keyboard Shortcuts)
- vi undo redo command [Examples]
- Spotlight Search file path location on Mac OS X Mavericks or Yosemite
- Find Java JRE Installation location Mac OS X
- Take Screenshots on Mac OS without Keyboard
- How to See Hidden Folders and Files on macOS
- How to Setup maven on Mac (macOS)
- osascript wants to make changes while Android Studio Installation on Mac OS X
- Remove Applications from Startup Mac OS X
- Have you noticed MacOS Ventura About this Mac look like Mac OS X
- Find the location of Spotlight searched file
- Mac OS X Taking Screen Capture using Terminal
- Safari appends .html extension to files that are downloaded
- Open New tab using keyboard shortcut in Mac Terminal
- Mac OS X Stuck During Booting Gray Screen Logo and Spinner
- Disable Chrome Notification bell from Mac OS X menu bar
- How to remove Extra Spaces in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- Two Ways to Extract rar (*.rar) files on Mac - MacOS
- Java Multi-line String Example - Java
- Java 8 Leap year check using Year class from java.time api - Java
- Microsoft Lists and SharePoint Online edit grid view - use undo and redo changes - SharePoint
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell - SharePoint
- Docker Commit Command with Examples - Docker
- How to get Java Thread name Example [Program] - Java