To get the size of a folder using PowerShell we can make use of the combination of Measure-Object cmdlet from Microsoft.PowerShell.Utility module and Get-ChildItem command from the Microsoft.PowerShell.Management module.
Let's see the steps by breaking the one-liner first.
Step 1: We get all the child elements using Get-ChildItem
Get-ChildItem -Recurse -File -Force 'path/to/folder'
Step 2: Get the Size of Individual files using Measure-Object
Measure-Object -Property Length -Sum'
Step 3: Finally take a Sum of each file/object.
(Get-ChildItem -Recurse -File -Force 'data-folder' | Measure-Object -Property Length -Sum).Sum
We can also make use of the gci and measure commands which are aliases to make the command shorter.
(gci 'data-folder' -r -fo | measure Length -Sum).Sum
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- PowerShell: How to Check if a Module is Already Installed
- PowerShell: How to Write Output to a File
- PowerShell: Steps to Connect to connect to Exchange Online
- PowerShell Fix: Get-Help cannot find the Help files for this cmdlet on this computer
- PowerShell Traditional For Loop Example
- How to Run PowerShell Script as Administrator (Elevate)
- Update Powershell Using Command Line
- How to delete a file using PowerShell [Windows/macOS]
- PowerShell: Grep Command Alternative - Select-String
- PowerShell Concatenate String Examples
- How to add Sleep to PowerShell Script
- Connect Azure AD (Active Directory) for PowerShell
- How to Open PowerShell on Mac?
- List of PowerShell Function Commands for Mac
- How to Connect to Azure AD Account using PowerShell on Mac
- Download Google Chrome setup exe file using PowerShell
- Set Environment Variable in PowerShell for Mac
- How to switch to Powershell on Mac Terminal
- How to add sleep in Powershell Script
- PowerShell on Mac: The term get-service is not recognized as a name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or executable program
- How to Identify installed PowerShell version
- How to check PowerShell version
- How to install PowerShell on Mac using Brew
- PowerShell Switch Statement with Examples
- PowerShell ISE Alternative for Mac
- How to change the KeyMap in Android Studio - Android-Studio
- How to delete a file using PowerShell [Windows/macOS] - Powershell
- M1/M2 Mac VirtualBox Unsupported hardware architecture detected! - MacOS
- [Docker M1/M2 Mac] qemu-x86_64: Could not open /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2: No such file or directory AWS CLI - Docker
- wget Command on macOS Terminal - MacOS
- Android Parsing Data for android-L failed Unsupported major.minor version 51.0 Error - Android
- [Fix] java: integer number too large compilation error - Java
- Setting up Java JUnit Project with Eclipse + Maven Example - Java