SharePoint Designer Workflow problem with Lookup column There is a particular scenario in which you might receive the below error if using SharePoint Designer List Workflow.
Coercion Failed: Unable to transform the input lookup data into the requested type. Workflow Scenario Consider a SharePoint list called "Employee" with following schema.
Employee Name (Text)
We create a SharePoint Designer workflow to send a simple email with Employee Name and Country when an item is created.
After publishing the workflow, let us see try creating a few items and see the outcome.Workflow Problem
Though the workflow is pretty simple. We note that it worked fine where lookup values are the United Kingdom, United States, Spain, Australia, but fails when the lookup value is blank. It gets 'Canceled' in this case. If we look closely at the workflow history, it shows these details -
Event Typ - Error User ID - System Account Description - Coercion Failed: Unable to transform the input lookup data into the requested type
The description is useful for us - Coercion Failed: Unable to transform the input lookup data into the requested type.Analysis and Troubleshooting
This happens when you use a Lookup site column in workflow and the value is BLANK/NULL. The workflow fails when transforming the Lookup data (blank in this case) into Lookup Value (as Text). Further steps of the workflow will not be reached and it gets canceled and logs the error.
How to fix - Resolution
The solution to this is converting the Lookup value to a string and then using it in workflow stages.
- Create a Workflow Local Variable named "country" of type "string".
- Modify the workflow by adding an if condition to check if the Lookup value is not-empty (is not empty).
- Set the variable to the Lookup Value
- Add further stages after the if condition. Add an else condition if required.
After modifying the workflow this way, even null/empty/blank lookup values will be converted to a blank string value.
Make sure you do this for every lookup column if you feel the value can be blank anytime.
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- PowerShell iterate and get all SharePoint sites and sub sites
- SharePoint Online: Editing session has ended Message
- How to Share Microsoft SharePoint Site with Users or Groups
- How to delete SharePoint Online List Item using REST API
- SharePoint List excel import - This table exceeds the maximum number of supported rows
- How to disable SharePoint subsite creation option for owners
- SharePoint 2010 August 2015 Update KB3055049 - Duplicate Document ID issue bug fixed
- SharePoint Server 2016 Preview installation error - This Product Key isn't a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Product Key. Check that you've entered it correctly.
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- Access URL for SharePoint Tenant Admin Center (Online Office 365)
- Error when deleting SharePoint Online folder or file
- How to extend retiring SharePoint 2010 Workflows and continue with Office 365
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- How to delete SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.Net
- How to retrieve all SharePoint Online List Items using Rest API
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- Create SharePoint Site Collection using PowerShell New-SPSite
- Fix SharePoint PowerShell error - The term Get-SPweb is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet function script file or operable program
- How to enable anonymous public access for SharePoint Online site collection, file, folder without login ?
- SharePoint Server 2016 installation System Hardware requirements
- How to create SharePoint Online List Item using REST API
- Changed AD user display name showing old name in SharePoint
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- Microsoft 365: How to Turn Off Delve in SharePoint Online for All Users
- TextEdit Get the count of lines in a file - MacOS
- Locate Notepad++ unsaved files backup location - NotepadPlusPlus
- Android Studio setup was canceled - How to resume - Android-Studio
- How to Disable Remote Management using Mac Terminal - MacOS
- Show battery percentage on MacBook Menu Bar [Ventura 13] - MacOS
- Installing and using unzip Command to unzip a zip file using Terminal - Linux
- MySQL Error :1007 SQLSTATE: HY000 (ER_DB_CREATE_EXISTS) Message: Can't create database '%s'; database exists - MySQL
- How to force re-download Gradle Dependencies - Gradle