Whenever something goes wrong in SharePoint, you are greeted with a non-useful error message like below -SharePoint 2007 - An unexpected error has occurred.
SharePoint 2010 - An unexpected error has occurred.
SharePoint 2013 - Sorry, something went wrong.
Display meaningful and developer-friendly error
Make the following changes to the corresponding web.config file of your site by following the below steps.
- Navigate to the virtual directory of your web application (usually located at C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories). For example, if your site is hosted on port 80 then open the folder 80.
- Locate web.config file and create a backup (backup is very important, just in case something goes wrong)
- Open the web.config in any editor which you are comfortable (Notepad, Notepad++, WordPad, EditPlus, Word, etc). Visual Studio will be my preferred editor.
- Locate the tag
. There is an attribute CallStack which is set to False by default. Set this attribute to True. This will allow SharePoint to enable stack trace and display the actual details of error/exception.
- Locate the tag
. There is an attribute mode which is set to On by default. Set this attribute to Off. This will enable custom errors instead of showing user-friendly messages.
- Refresh the page with the error and now you should see more details that are useful to the developer for troubleshooting.
- This is how your changes should look.
<SafeMode CallStack="true" ............... > <customErrors mode="Off" />
⚠️ Important: This is recommended only in Development environments and you should not fiddle with the web.config in production environments. The purpose of enabling and custom errors and complete stack trace is only for easier troubleshooting and developers are recommended to revert the changes once development is completed.
- error CAML Query containing special characters
- [Solved] SharePoint Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion
- Trigger Flow on selected Listitem from SharePoint view - create button with JSON column formatting
- SharePoint Excel error - The workbook cannot be opened because it contains the following features that are not supported by Excel in the browser
- Send Email with attachment using SharePoint PowerShell, SMTP server
- How to show or hide columns in SharePoint Online List Library from
- SharePoint excel error - A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator.
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- Special character & not working with SharePoint REST API
- How to disable SharePoint subsite creation option for owners
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- Deploy SharePoint wsp solution package using PowerShell
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- How to enable anonymous public access for SharePoint Online site collection, file, folder without login ?
- SharePoint installation error - Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error This product requires Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5
- How to add animated Gif to SharePoint Online Page
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- How to create SharePoint Document Library
- SharePoint - Use Today's Date Time in list view filter and calculated column
- How to redirect SharePoint Site Collection to different URL
- SharePoint error cannot connect to the configuration database
- How to remove Extra Spaces in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- Two Ways to Extract rar (*.rar) files on Mac - MacOS
- Java Multi-line String Example - Java
- Java 8 Leap year check using Year class from java.time api - Java
- Microsoft Lists and SharePoint Online edit grid view - use undo and redo changes - SharePoint
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell - SharePoint
- Docker Commit Command with Examples - Docker
- How to get Java Thread name Example [Program] - Java