Document Id is something which SharePoint internally assigns to documents and maintains a uniqueness for each document.
This Document Id never changes even if the document is moved anywhere else and so can be used as a bookmark to the document.
Just in case you want to access the DocId value or want to change it (not recommended though !!), you can refer to the the internal SharePoint column _dlc_DocId.
Get Doc Id value for a document
$item["_dlc_DocId"]Set Doc Id value for a document
$item["_dlc_DocId"] = "NewId-12345"Here is a complete example using PowerShell to access and modify the Document Id
PowerShell script to get and set the Document Id (_dlc_DocId) column
$web = Get-SPWeb http://SharepointSiteUrl $list = $web.lists["Shared Documents"] //Get handle of item by ItemId $item = $list.getitembyid(1) //Get the Document Id using column _dlc_DocId $item["_dlc_DocId"] //Checkout before making changes $item.File.CheckOut() //Set the Document Id using column _dlc_DocId $item["_dlc_DocId"] = "NewId-12345" $item["_dlc_DocIdUrl"] = "http://SharePointSiteUrl/_layouts/DocIdRedir.aspx?ID=NewId-12345, NewId-12345" $item.update() //Check in once changes are completed $item.File.CheckIn("DocId changed and document checked in")
Note- Once the Document Id is modified, a search crawl (incremental is sufficient) is required in order to associate the changes with the document, else you will get errors when clicking on the Document Id.
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- PowerShell git: The term git is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet - Microsoft
- How to check if Java main thread is alive - Java
- List of Java versions - Java
- How to add to PATH in macOS Big Sur - MacOS
- Microsoft 365 Excel - PRO TIP Discover insights quickly with Power BI, which is already included in your Microsoft services, See it in action - Microsoft