SharePoint provides the excellent capability of discovering content, discussions, people, etc from your SharePoint environment, which leverages the Search service. Though this is a pretty useful feature, there are a few limitations that sometimes need to be handled in order to meet the requirements and desired results/output.Maximum search results returned limitation
SharePoint 2010 search has a default limit of 10000 maximum results for the submitted queries.
This is something the developer might not be aware of initially but will encounter an exception if tried to get results more than 10000 results using the RowLimit of FullTextSqlQuery.
If RowLimit is not specified, only 50 results will be returned by default.
See the below line from the developer code.
query.RowLimit = 15000;
ResultTableCollection queryResults = query.Execute();
In this code, the developer wants to get 15000 results for the provided query, but the code throws an exception as Exception from HRESULT: 0x80040E01.
This is because the default limit set by SharePoint is 10000, moreover this cannot be changed through Central Administration. One way to change this setting is by using the below PowerShell command.
$ssa = Get-SPEnterpriseSearchServiceApplication
Now if the above code is executed, the query will return a maximum of 15000 results. The limit can be set to 10000 again using the same PowerShell script as above and changing Config:qp_MaxResultsReturned to 10000.Important Note
This PowerShell script will modify the related Search Service Application configuration for the entire FARM, so please consult your SharePoint Admin before making any updates. This is not recommended in live Production environments and such changes should be made only by the Admins.
Facing issues? Have Questions? Post them here! I am happy to answer!
- error CAML Query containing special characters
- [Solved] SharePoint Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion
- Trigger Flow on selected Listitem from SharePoint view - create button with JSON column formatting
- SharePoint Excel error - The workbook cannot be opened because it contains the following features that are not supported by Excel in the browser
- Send Email with attachment using SharePoint PowerShell, SMTP server
- How to show or hide columns in SharePoint Online List Library from
- SharePoint excel error - A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator.
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- Special character & not working with SharePoint REST API
- How to disable SharePoint subsite creation option for owners
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- Deploy SharePoint wsp solution package using PowerShell
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- How to enable anonymous public access for SharePoint Online site collection, file, folder without login ?
- SharePoint installation error - Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error This product requires Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5
- How to add animated Gif to SharePoint Online Page
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- How to create SharePoint Document Library
- SharePoint - Use Today's Date Time in list view filter and calculated column
- How to redirect SharePoint Site Collection to different URL
- SharePoint error cannot connect to the configuration database
- How to resolve Failed to create interpreter PyCharm Error - Python
- [Solution] Exception in thread main java.util.EmptyStackException - Java
- Command: How to scp a file to remote server location? - HowTos
- Create Custom Android AlertDialog - Android
- How to install Java 11 on Mac - Java
- 20 - Python - Print Colors for Text in Terminal - 1000+ Python Programs - Python-Programs
- Add X days from today in Command Line - HowTos
- Fix: error: could not lock config file /etc/gitconfig: Permission denied - Git