You have granted permissions to an external user to your SharePoint site, list, document library or document, but they receive an error stating that the account can't be found in the tenant.sharepoint.com directory.
That didn't work
We're sorry but [EXTERNAL USER ACCOUNT] can't be found in the [company.sharepoint.com] directory. Please try again later, while we try to automatically fix this for you.
The message provides some additional information -
- Correlation ID - Which is of not much help in SharePoint Online
- Date and Time - Time stamp of error
- URL - SharePoint link which the external user could not access
- User - Email account of the external user
- Issue Type - User not in directory
Common Causes of this error
- External account is not permitted to access the link, access is not granted.
- (MOST COMMON) External user is using a different account to access the link, which does not have access. The account should be same which received the email invitation.
- External user has not accepted the invitation and directly accessing the link.
FIX - go in sequence to narrow down the problem
- First things first, double check that external access is enabled for your Tenant and SharePoint site. There is no harm in rechecking.
- Go to Site Settings --> Users and Permissions --> Access Requests --> EXTERNAL USER INVITATIONS / HISTORY, the status in history should show 'Accepted by USER'. If it shows pending, ask user to click the link from email invitation.
- Re-assign permissions to the external account. This will send a fresh email invitation to the external user, ask them to click the invitation link received in email.
- Ensure that the account used is the same to which access was given and email invitation was received.
- Using Chrome Incognito or IE/Edge InPrivate always helps. There will be conflict when accessing 2 Office 365 accounts in the same browser window, this will even rule out cache/cookie problems. Ask the external user to open a private browser session and try accessing.
- Select 'Organizational Account' if user has an Office 365 account, select 'Microsoft Account' for any other account.
- Remove the user (not permissions, remove the user entry completely) from SharePoint by going to 'All users' list by appending _layouts/15/people.aspx/membershipGroupId=0 to your site.
- Remove user from Office 365 portal by going to Users --> Active Users.
More Posts related to SharePoint,
- error CAML Query containing special characters
- [Solved] SharePoint Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion
- Trigger Flow on selected Listitem from SharePoint view - create button with JSON column formatting
- SharePoint Excel error - The workbook cannot be opened because it contains the following features that are not supported by Excel in the browser
- Send Email with attachment using SharePoint PowerShell, SMTP server
- How to show or hide columns in SharePoint Online List Library from
- SharePoint excel error - A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator.
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- Special character & not working with SharePoint REST API
- How to disable SharePoint subsite creation option for owners
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- Deploy SharePoint wsp solution package using PowerShell
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- How to enable anonymous public access for SharePoint Online site collection, file, folder without login ?
- SharePoint installation error - Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error This product requires Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5
- How to add animated Gif to SharePoint Online Page
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- How to create SharePoint Document Library
- SharePoint - Use Today's Date Time in list view filter and calculated column
- How to redirect SharePoint Site Collection to different URL
- SharePoint error cannot connect to the configuration database
- How to turn off AirPods Nearyby notifications on macOS Big Sur? - Apple
- Git: Delete Branch Locally and Remotely at Origin - Git
- How to print the key value pairs of a Dictionary in Python - Python
- macOS Big Sur compatible Macs List - MacOS
- How to know Rust is Installed on Mac? - Rust
- 3 ways to clear screen on Linux Terminal - Linux
- How to access SharePoint Online data using Postman - REST API and Bearer token - SharePoint
- How to Check PowerShell Version? [Windows/Mac/Linux] - Powershell