In order to execute .run and .bin file in Ubuntu, they need to be marked as an executable type.
This can be achieved in two ways, through Terminal or using GUI ( Graphical User Interface)
- Move .run/.bin files to your Home Dir.
- Select the file + Right Click -> Properties.
- Go to Permissions tab.
- Tick the Allow executing file as program radio box (next to Execute).
- Now, Click, Apply Permissions to Enclosed Files.
- Close the Property Window.
Executing .Run/.Bin Files
- Double-Click the .run/.bin file.
- If noting happens, right click on the file and select Run in Terminal.
- Open Terminal
- We need to change the file type (cmod) as executable
chmod +x YourfileName.bin
Now execute the file
Note: If you get an error message like Permission Denied. Switch to the root user using sudo and run the file,
Note : .bin and .run files are though easy to install but not so easy to remove, it depends on the developer who made it, so please do check the uninstallation procedure before installing such files.
It is always advisable to download such files from a trusted source.
Some of such .bin or .run files may require root permissions to get them installed, as root access gives full access permissions to the file to your Operating system, which may lead to security issues.
- How to install npm on Ubuntu
- bash: cls: command not found
- Execute .bin and .run file Ubuntu Linux
- Command to display epoch time Terminal
- How to ls command to output one entry per line [macOS/Linux/Bash]
- Terminal display next month Calendar
- The Date Command and its usage [Linux - Unix - macOS]
- zsh hello world example
- How to install python pip on Ubuntu using apt command
- ls command sort by file size [Linix/UNIX/macOS/bash]
- How to check uptime of Linux/Unix/macOS system/server using console command?
- How to remove or uninstall Java from Ubuntu using apt-get
- ls command: sort files by name alphabetically A-Z or Z-A [Linux/Unix/macOS/Bash]
- Copy entire directory using Terminal Command [Linux, Mac, Bash]
- Install Java Runtime Environment (Oracle or open JRE) on Ubuntu
- [Ubuntu] Search a package and versions using apt command
- How to change bash terminal prompt string and color
- Microsoft Edge browser error on MAC - This page is having a problem Try coming back to it later - Microsoft
- Java location in Mac OS X - Mac-OS-X
- How to record PowerPoint slide show presentation on Mac - narration, slide timings, ink gestures - Microsoft
- Android : Execute some code after back button is pressed - Android
- How to Update Chrome Browser on Mac? - Chrome