In order to execute .run and .bin file in Ubuntu, they need to be marked as an executable type.
This can be achieved in two ways, through Terminal or using GUI ( Graphical User Interface)
- Move .run/.bin files to your Home Dir.
- Select the file + Right Click -> Properties.
- Go to Permissions tab.
- Tick the Allow executing file as program radio box (next to Execute).
- Now, Click, Apply Permissions to Enclosed Files.
- Close the Property Window.
Executing .Run/.Bin Files
- Double-Click the .run/.bin file.
- If noting happens, right click on the file and select Run in Terminal.
- Open Terminal
- We need to change the file type (cmod) as executable
chmod +x YourfileName.bin
Now execute the file
Note: If you get an error message like Permission Denied. Switch to the root user using sudo and run the file,
Note : .bin and .run files are though easy to install but not so easy to remove, it depends on the developer who made it, so please do check the uninstallation procedure before installing such files.
It is always advisable to download such files from a trusted source.
Some of such .bin or .run files may require root permissions to get them installed, as root access gives full access permissions to the file to your Operating system, which may lead to security issues.
- ls command: sort files by name alphabetically A-Z or Z-A [Linux/Unix/macOS/Bash]
- How to check uptime of Linux/Unix/macOS system/server using console command?
- How to create tar.gz file using Terminal Command
- How to List All Users in Linux
- How to check file permissions for your file using Linux/Unix/macOS Terminal Command
- How to exit from nano command
- How to go to the End of File in Nano Editor
- ls command sort by file size [Linix/UNIX/macOS/bash]
- scp: ssh: connect to host xxxx port 22: Connection refused Error
- How to tar.gz a directory or folder Command
- Linux: Create a New User and Password and Login Example
- How to install npm on Ubuntu
- Create and write file in single Linux/macOS command
- 3 ways to clear screen on Linux Terminal
- How to ls command to output one entry per line [macOS/Linux/Bash]
- Execute .bin and .run file Ubuntu Linux
- How to install and Configure sar sysstat tools in Ubuntu Linux
- Fix - ssh-copy-id no identities found error
- Terminal display next month Calendar
- Install Java Runtime Environment (Oracle or open JRE) on Ubuntu
- Fix - bash: man: command not found
- How to install curl on Alpine Linux
- Command to unzip or extract tar.gz file on Linux or macOS?
- How to Display content of a file in Terminal Screen?
- Copy entire directory using Terminal Command [Linux, Mac, Bash]
- Change the default diff or commit editor for git - Git
- Fix NVIDIA GeForce Experience ERROR CODE 0x0003 - HowTos
- #HappyBirthdayJimin hashtag trending on BTS Jimin 25th birthday [BTS ARMY] - BTS
- Gmail Unable to upload because it is a folder or a package (like an application bundle or RTFD document) - HowTos
- Mac OS X Taking Screen Capture using Terminal - Mac-OS-X
- Installation error: INSTALL_PARSE_FAILED_MANIFEST_MALFORMED - Android
- How to hide or disable iOS 14 App Library on iPhone? - Apple
- macOS Ventura XCode Command Line Tools Installation - MacOS