In order to execute .run and .bin file in Ubuntu, they need to be marked as an executable type.
This can be achieved in two ways, through Terminal or using GUI ( Graphical User Interface)
- Move .run/.bin files to your Home Dir.
- Select the file + Right Click -> Properties.
- Go to Permissions tab.
- Tick the Allow executing file as program radio box (next to Execute).
- Now, Click, Apply Permissions to Enclosed Files.
- Close the Property Window.
Executing .Run/.Bin Files
- Double-Click the .run/.bin file.
- If noting happens, right click on the file and select Run in Terminal.
- Open Terminal
- We need to change the file type (cmod) as executable
chmod +x YourfileName.bin
Now execute the file
Note: If you get an error message like Permission Denied. Switch to the root user using sudo and run the file,
Note : .bin and .run files are though easy to install but not so easy to remove, it depends on the developer who made it, so please do check the uninstallation procedure before installing such files.
It is always advisable to download such files from a trusted source.
Some of such .bin or .run files may require root permissions to get them installed, as root access gives full access permissions to the file to your Operating system, which may lead to security issues.
- How to remove/delete a directory in Linux/macOs
- What does apt-get update command does?
- How to quit or exit SFTP Prompt on Terminal
- How to exit from nano command
- Rename a directory using Linux/Unix command
- Calculate days between dates using dateutils ddiff command
- 3 Commands to stop Nginx Server
- How to use SCP Command to Copy Directory
- bash: cls: command not found
- How to Install CVS Version Control on Linux/Ubuntu
- Copy entire directory using Terminal Command [Linux, Mac, Bash]
- [Ubuntu] Search a package and versions using apt command
- zsh hello world example
- SCP Copy all files from directory to Local Folder
- Create Hidden File or Directory using Shell Command
- Check SSH/OpenSSH version Command
- How to install python pip on Ubuntu using apt command
- How to remove or uninstall Java from Ubuntu using apt-get
- How to change bash terminal prompt string and color
- scp: ssh: connect to host xxxx port 22: Connection refused Error
- ls command sort by file size [Linix/UNIX/macOS/bash]
- Install Java Runtime Environment (Oracle or open JRE) on Ubuntu
- How to tar.gz a directory/folder
- Terminal display next month Calendar
- 3 ways to clear screen on Linux Terminal
- How to open terminal on Mac to run commands - MacOS
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000 - SharePoint
- Calculate Area of Square - C-Program
- JSON Tutorial: List of Lessons - Json-Tutorial
- How to Subscribe to Google Nest Aware on iPhone - Google
- How to Connect to AWS Windows EC2 UI Instance from M1 Mac (Updated 2022) - HowTos
- How to uninstall GarageBand from Mac - MacOS
- How to hide or cancel Toast message in Android Programming - Android