New to the Apple line of Mac Computers? Want to know how to make use of the macOS Terminal application? Let's cover some basics for the macOS Terminal and learn 10 Beginners Commands.
What is a Terminal?
The Terminal is an application that is built into all Apple computers (iMac, Mac Mini's) and laptops (MacBook Air's and Pros), it is an application that provides test-based access to the operating system. Just the way you access your computer using the User Interface, you can make use of the Terminal to fire some commands and perform certain actions.
The default shell in macOS is Zsh shell, you can also choose/switch to other shells like Bash, tsch, or bash.
How to open the Terminal?
There are various ways in which you can open the Terminal application,
- Spotlight Search:Click Spotlight search icon next to your menu time - type Terminal, open the app.
- Using Finder: Open Finder, Go to Application -> Utilites and look for Terminal
- Keybroad Shortcut: Press Command + Space and type Terminal, open the app.
10 Beginners Commands for macOS Terminal
- pwd command: To know the present working directory.
code2care@mac ~ % pwd /Users/code2care code2care@mac ~ %
- cd command: To change the current directory. Example if you want to move from the correct location to the Documents directory type cd /Users/your-user/Documents
Examples: code2care@mac Documents % cd /Users/code2care/Documents code2care@mac Documents % pwd /Users/code2care/Documents code2care@mac Documents %
- ls command: Displays the list of files and directory in current location you are in,
Example: code2care@mac Documents % ls ErrorLogs JVM.key books myApp Gradle.key VPC.key c2c notes code2care@mac Documents % ls -ltrh total 17528 drwxr-xr-x 2 code2care staff 64B Feb 13 12:57 c2c notes -rwx------@ 1 code2care staff 3.0M Feb 19 22:30 VPC.key -rw-r--r-- 1 code2care staff 130K Feb 28 00:18 ErrorLogs -rwx------@ 1 code2care staff 3.4M Mar 6 00:03 JVM.key -rwx------@ 1 code2care staff 1.9M Apr 10 00:57 Gradle.key drwxr-xr-x@ 11 code2care staff 352B Apr 11 14:00 myApp drwxr-xr-x 7 code2care staff 224B Apr 11 14:01 books
- clear command: this command will clear the screen.
code2care@mac Documents % clear
- touch command: to create a file.
code2care@mac Documents % touch sample.txt
- cal command: to display the calendar,
Example: code2care@mac Documents % cal June 2021 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
- cat command: to display the contents of a file,
Example: code2care@mac Documents % cat sample.txt Hello this is my file with some text in it on my MacBook Pro
- uptime command: This command will tell you how long your Mac has been running before the last shutdown.
Example: code2care@mac Documents % uptime 17:09 up 4 days, 19:35, 2 users, load averages: 1.52 1.50 1.45
- mkdir command: To create a new directory,
code2care@mac Documents % mkdir myDir code2care@mac Documents % cd myDir code2care@mac myDir % pwd /Users/code2care/Documents/myDir code2care@mac myDir %
- history command: to display the list of last ran commands on terminal,
Example: code2care@mac myDir % history 1029 clear 1030 touch sample.csv 1031 who 1032 pwd 1033 clear 1034 cal 1035 clear 1036 ls -ltrh 1037 nano sample.txt 1038 cat sample.txt 1039 clear 1040 uptime 1041 clear 1042 mkdir myDir 1043 cd myDir 1044 pwd
Have Questions? Post them here!
- How to load zsh profile on opening shell terminal
- Set Python 3.8 as a default python version on macOS
- Show CPU and Memory Usage on macOS Menu Bar
- How to save macOS Terminal outputs as text file
- How to install wget on macOS
- Display ls command file sizes in KB (kilobytes) MB (megabytes) or GB (gigabytes) [Linux/macOS]
- How to Change Mouse Wheel Scroll Direction on Mac
- macOS R installation steps
- How to open terminal on Mac to run commands
- How to know your Mac Screen Resolution?
- Safari - Get HTTP Request Response Headers
- Opening mac Terminal
- bash: command not found error [macOS Terminal Linux, Unix or Windows]
- Add Bookmark macOS Safari
- How to check RAM details on Mac?
- How to install Java on macOS [Big Sur]
- How to Display Analog Clock on Mac Menu Bar
- How to remove app from Dock when closed [macOS Big Sur]
- How to add to PATH in macOS Big Sur
- Keyboard Shortcut to delete a file on a Mac [Macbook]
- How to increase macOS Terminal text font size (Big Sur)
- Permanently set $PATH variable in Mac Zsh shell
- Delete a Directory using Mac Terminal Command
- Remove Now Playing icon from macOS Big Sur Menu Bar
- How to find files taking up space on your Mac
- SharePoint Designer Workflow error - Coercion Failed: Input cannot be null for this coercion - SharePoint
- How to check uptime of Linux/Unix/macOS system/server using console command? - Linux
- How to change font, apply bold or italic styles, font size in Windows Notepad - HowTos
- Indent XML Formatting In Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- 300+ Eclipse IDE Keyboard Shortcuts for Mac - Eclipse