New to the Apple line of Mac Computers? Want to know how to make use of the macOS Terminal application? Let's cover some basics for the macOS Terminal and learn 10 Beginners Commands.
What is a Terminal?
The Terminal is an application that is built into all Apple computers (iMac, Mac Mini's) and laptops (MacBook Air's and Pros), it is an application that provides test-based access to the operating system. Just the way you access your computer using the User Interface, you can make use of the Terminal to fire some commands and perform certain actions.
The default shell in macOS is Zsh shell, you can also choose/switch to other shells like Bash, tsch, or bash.
How to open the Terminal?
There are various ways in which you can open the Terminal application,
- Spotlight Search:Click Spotlight search icon next to your menu time - type Terminal, open the app.
- Using Finder: Open Finder, Go to Application -> Utilites and look for Terminal
- Keybroad Shortcut: Press Command + Space and type Terminal, open the app.
10 Beginners Commands for macOS Terminal
- pwd command: To know the present working directory.
code2care@mac ~ % pwd /Users/code2care code2care@mac ~ %
- cd command: To change the current directory. Example if you want to move from the correct location to the Documents directory type cd /Users/your-user/Documents
Examples: code2care@mac Documents % cd /Users/code2care/Documents code2care@mac Documents % pwd /Users/code2care/Documents code2care@mac Documents %
- ls command: Displays the list of files and directory in current location you are in,
Example: code2care@mac Documents % ls ErrorLogs JVM.key books myApp Gradle.key VPC.key c2c notes code2care@mac Documents % ls -ltrh total 17528 drwxr-xr-x 2 code2care staff 64B Feb 13 12:57 c2c notes -rwx------@ 1 code2care staff 3.0M Feb 19 22:30 VPC.key -rw-r--r-- 1 code2care staff 130K Feb 28 00:18 ErrorLogs -rwx------@ 1 code2care staff 3.4M Mar 6 00:03 JVM.key -rwx------@ 1 code2care staff 1.9M Apr 10 00:57 Gradle.key drwxr-xr-x@ 11 code2care staff 352B Apr 11 14:00 myApp drwxr-xr-x 7 code2care staff 224B Apr 11 14:01 books
- clear command: this command will clear the screen.
code2care@mac Documents % clear
- touch command: to create a file.
code2care@mac Documents % touch sample.txt
- cal command: to display the calendar,
Example: code2care@mac Documents % cal June 2021 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
- cat command: to display the contents of a file,
Example: code2care@mac Documents % cat sample.txt Hello this is my file with some text in it on my MacBook Pro
- uptime command: This command will tell you how long your Mac has been running before the last shutdown.
Example: code2care@mac Documents % uptime 17:09 up 4 days, 19:35, 2 users, load averages: 1.52 1.50 1.45
- mkdir command: To create a new directory,
code2care@mac Documents % mkdir myDir code2care@mac Documents % cd myDir code2care@mac myDir % pwd /Users/code2care/Documents/myDir code2care@mac myDir %
- history command: to display the list of last ran commands on terminal,
Example: code2care@mac myDir % history 1029 clear 1030 touch sample.csv 1031 who 1032 pwd 1033 clear 1034 cal 1035 clear 1036 ls -ltrh 1037 nano sample.txt 1038 cat sample.txt 1039 clear 1040 uptime 1041 clear 1042 mkdir myDir 1043 cd myDir 1044 pwd
Have Questions? Post them here!
- Opening mac Terminal
- How to change default macOS Terminal Window size
- How to clear Mac Terminal screen
- Find Hostname of Mac running on macOS Ventura 13
- Installing MongoDB on Linux/Unix/macOS/Ubuntu
- How to switch from bash to zsh shell in macOS Terminal
- Limit scrollback rows in macOS Terminal
- How to Set Background Wallpaper on macOS 13 Ventura
- This operation couldnt be completed. Unable to locate a Java Runtime. [macOS]
- Encode or Decode Base64 String using Mac Terminal Command
- List of All Apple Silicon ARM Based M1/M2 Mac [updated Oct 2022)
- How to remove Siri from Menu Bar [macOS Big Sur]
- Must Know Homebrew Commands for Mac/Linux Users
- Hide Keyboard Text Input Icon on macOS Ventura Menu Bar
- 13.0 MacOS Ventura release date
- How to change the default location of Mac Screenshot
- How to set Out Of Office (OOO) on Outlook for Mac
- 30+ Zoom video communications application shortcuts for macOS
- How to install wget on macOS
- Mac turn dark mode on or off using terminal command
- Create Symbolic Link using Terminal Command
- Mac - How to Install VirtualBox
- How to Enable or Disable Dark Mode on macOS Ventura 13
- How to install homebrew (brew) on M1 Mac
- How to uninstall Microsoft Outlook on Mac
- SQL: Check if table exists - HowTos
- [fix] Docker - no matching manifest for linux/arm64/v8 in the manifest list entries [M/M2 Mac] - Docker
- How to identify the version of IntelliJ - HowTos
- How to remove or unstage a file from git staged area - Git
- How to Schedule Mails in macOS Ventura - MacOS
- How to check file permissions for your file using Linux/Unix/macOS Terminal Command - Linux
- Display full website URL/address in Safari macOS Browser - MacOS
- How to install homebrew (brew) on M1 Mac - MacOS