New to the Apple line of Mac Computers? Want to know how to make use of the macOS Terminal application? Let's cover some basics for the macOS Terminal and learn 10 Beginners Commands.
What is a Terminal?
The Terminal is an application that is built into all Apple computers (iMac, Mac Mini's) and laptops (MacBook Air's and Pros), it is an application that provides test-based access to the operating system. Just the way you access your computer using the User Interface, you can make use of the Terminal to fire some commands and perform certain actions.
The default shell in macOS is Zsh shell, you can also choose/switch to other shells like Bash, tsch, or bash.
How to open the Terminal?
There are various ways in which you can open the Terminal application,
- Spotlight Search:Click Spotlight search icon next to your menu time - type Terminal, open the app.
- Using Finder: Open Finder, Go to Application -> Utilites and look for Terminal
- Keybroad Shortcut: Press Command + Space and type Terminal, open the app.
10 Beginners Commands for macOS Terminal
- pwd command: To know the present working directory.
code2care@mac ~ % pwd /Users/code2care code2care@mac ~ %
- cd command: To change the current directory. Example if you want to move from the correct location to the Documents directory type cd /Users/your-user/Documents
Examples: code2care@mac Documents % cd /Users/code2care/Documents code2care@mac Documents % pwd /Users/code2care/Documents code2care@mac Documents %
- ls command: Displays the list of files and directory in current location you are in,
Example: code2care@mac Documents % ls ErrorLogs JVM.key books myApp Gradle.key VPC.key c2c notes code2care@mac Documents % ls -ltrh total 17528 drwxr-xr-x 2 code2care staff 64B Feb 13 12:57 c2c notes -rwx------@ 1 code2care staff 3.0M Feb 19 22:30 VPC.key -rw-r--r-- 1 code2care staff 130K Feb 28 00:18 ErrorLogs -rwx------@ 1 code2care staff 3.4M Mar 6 00:03 JVM.key -rwx------@ 1 code2care staff 1.9M Apr 10 00:57 Gradle.key drwxr-xr-x@ 11 code2care staff 352B Apr 11 14:00 myApp drwxr-xr-x 7 code2care staff 224B Apr 11 14:01 books
- clear command: this command will clear the screen.
code2care@mac Documents % clear
- touch command: to create a file.
code2care@mac Documents % touch sample.txt
- cal command: to display the calendar,
Example: code2care@mac Documents % cal June 2021 Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
- cat command: to display the contents of a file,
Example: code2care@mac Documents % cat sample.txt Hello this is my file with some text in it on my MacBook Pro
- uptime command: This command will tell you how long your Mac has been running before the last shutdown.
Example: code2care@mac Documents % uptime 17:09 up 4 days, 19:35, 2 users, load averages: 1.52 1.50 1.45
- mkdir command: To create a new directory,
code2care@mac Documents % mkdir myDir code2care@mac Documents % cd myDir code2care@mac myDir % pwd /Users/code2care/Documents/myDir code2care@mac myDir %
- history command: to display the list of last ran commands on terminal,
Example: code2care@mac myDir % history 1029 clear 1030 touch sample.csv 1031 who 1032 pwd 1033 clear 1034 cal 1035 clear 1036 ls -ltrh 1037 nano sample.txt 1038 cat sample.txt 1039 clear 1040 uptime 1041 clear 1042 mkdir myDir 1043 cd myDir 1044 pwd
Have Questions? Post them here!
- How to connect AirPods to Mac
- Display Safari URL address link on hover
- Mac turn dark mode on or off using terminal command
- Docker Desktop needs privileged access macOS
- How to install Java on macOS [Big Sur]
- How to start/boot macOS in safe mode - Big Sur 11.0, Catalina 10.15, or Mojave 10.14
- Find Mac version using terminal command
- How to fix command not found brew (bash, zsh) on macOS Terminal
- How to change default macOS Terminal Window size
- How to make EditText text to uppercase or lowercase on macOS
- Disable Startup Sound on macOS
- How to switch from bash to zsh shell in macOS Terminal
- How to make macOS Terminal window Transparent (or Opaque)
- Remove Now Playing icon from macOS Big Sur Menu Bar
- Test internet speed using macOS Terminal command
- How to change macOS Safari default language
- Encode or Decode Base64 String using Mac Terminal Command
- Safari - Get HTTP Request Response Headers
- How to open terminal on Mac to run commands
- How to install homebrew (brew) on M1 Mac
- How to display directory tree in Mac Terminal
- How to Change Mouse Wheel Scroll Direction on Mac
- MacoOS - xyz is an app downloaded from the internet. Are you sure you want to open it? Alert
- The default interactive shell is now zsh. [macOS]
- Change Terminal Cursor Type in Mac (MacOS Shell)
- What is Android Toast.LENGTH_SHORT and Toast. LENGTH_LONG durations - Android
- PHP Script to Upload Images to Server - PHP
- Cannot open or preview pdf with view only and restricted download access in Microsoft Teams - Teams
- Android: Unknown error code during application install : - Android
- What is Bootstrap Jumbotron and how to use it - Bootstrap
- How to configure PDF iFilter for SharePoint - SharePoint
- Microsoft Sign-in Error Code: 50058 (Request Id, Correlation Id and Timestamp) - Microsoft
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search - SharePoint