Whenever something goes wrong in SharePoint, you are greeted with a non-useful error message like below -SharePoint 2007 - An unexpected error has occurred.
SharePoint 2010 - An unexpected error has occurred.
SharePoint 2013 - Sorry, something went wrong.
Display meaningful and developer-friendly error
Make the following changes to the corresponding web.config file of your site by following the below steps.
- Navigate to the virtual directory of your web application (usually located at C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories). For example, if your site is hosted on port 80 then open the folder 80.
- Locate web.config file and create a backup (backup is very important, just in case something goes wrong)
- Open the web.config in any editor which you are comfortable (Notepad, Notepad++, WordPad, EditPlus, Word, etc). Visual Studio will be my preferred editor.
- Locate the tag
. There is an attribute CallStack which is set to False by default. Set this attribute to True. This will allow SharePoint to enable stack trace and display the actual details of error/exception.
- Locate the tag
. There is an attribute mode which is set to On by default. Set this attribute to Off. This will enable custom errors instead of showing user-friendly messages.
- Refresh the page with the error and now you should see more details that are useful to the developer for troubleshooting.
- This is how your changes should look.
<SafeMode CallStack="true" ............... > <customErrors mode="Off" />
⚠️ Important: This is recommended only in Development environments and you should not fiddle with the web.config in production environments. The purpose of enabling and custom errors and complete stack trace is only for easier troubleshooting and developers are recommended to revert the changes once development is completed.
- Setup synonyms or alias or thesaurus in SharePoint
- How to redirect SharePoint Site Collection to different URL
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint
- SharePoint 2010 DataForm Unable to display this Web Part System.StackOverflowException
- SharePoint Server 2016 Preview installation error - This Product Key isn't a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Product Key. Check that you've entered it correctly.
- How to delete SharePoint List Item programmatically
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- Create SharePoint Site Collection using PowerShell New-SPSite
- How to create SharePoint List Item programmatically
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- SharePoint Server 2016 installation System Hardware requirements
- [Solved] SharePoint Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion
- SharePoint Designer Workflow error - Coercion Failed: Input cannot be null for this coercion
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- SharePoint 2016 error - Could not find file ManageUserProfileServiceApplicationTenantSimplified.xml
- Bypass domain name for IIS site (SharePoint)
- SharePoint PowerShell Merge-SPLogFile filter by time using StartTime EndTime
- Recover SharePoint if the SQL Server IP changes
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to enable disable SharePoint Developer Dashboard for tracing troubleshooting
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Update Created By (Author) column of SharePoint document using PowerShell
- SharePoint Server 2016 error - Failed to connect to the configuration database
- The service instance
- SharePoint Managed Metadata Hidden Taxonomy List - TaxonomyHiddenList
- Android : Error in http connection java.net.SocketException: Permission denied - Android
- How to create Toast messages in Android - Android
- How to Search Something (string) in Android Studio Project like Eclipse - Android-Studio
- Free Unlimited Calls from MTNL & BSNL Landlines from 1st May 2015 - HowTos
- Adding internet permission to Android Project - Android
- How to turn off Facebook autoplay videos on timeline - Facebook
- Android : How to make TextView Scrollable - Android
- Sharepoint Server 2016 installation Prerequisites with download links - SharePoint
- Android Toast position top - Android
- How to submit website to dmoz directory - HowTos
- SharePoint Server 2016 setup error - A system restart from a previous installation or update is pending. Restart your computer and run setup to continue. - SharePoint
- Java XML-RPC 3.1.x based web service example - Java
- Plug-in com.android.ide.eclipse.adt was unable to lead class Error - Android