Whenever something goes wrong in SharePoint, you are greeted with a non-useful error message like below -SharePoint 2007 - An unexpected error has occurred.
SharePoint 2010 - An unexpected error has occurred.
SharePoint 2013 - Sorry, something went wrong.
Display meaningful and developer-friendly error
Make the following changes to the corresponding web.config file of your site by following the below steps.
- Navigate to the virtual directory of your web application (usually located at C:\inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories). For example, if your site is hosted on port 80 then open the folder 80.
- Locate web.config file and create a backup (backup is very important, just in case something goes wrong)
- Open the web.config in any editor which you are comfortable (Notepad, Notepad++, WordPad, EditPlus, Word, etc). Visual Studio will be my preferred editor.
- Locate the tag
. There is an attribute CallStack which is set to False by default. Set this attribute to True. This will allow SharePoint to enable stack trace and display the actual details of error/exception.
- Locate the tag
. There is an attribute mode which is set to On by default. Set this attribute to Off. This will enable custom errors instead of showing user-friendly messages.
- Refresh the page with the error and now you should see more details that are useful to the developer for troubleshooting.
- This is how your changes should look.
<SafeMode CallStack="true" ............... > <customErrors mode="Off" />
⚠️ Important: This is recommended only in Development environments and you should not fiddle with the web.config in production environments. The purpose of enabling and custom errors and complete stack trace is only for easier troubleshooting and developers are recommended to revert the changes once development is completed.
- Setup synonyms or alias or thesaurus in SharePoint
- How to redirect SharePoint Site Collection to different URL
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint
- SharePoint 2010 DataForm Unable to display this Web Part System.StackOverflowException
- SharePoint Server 2016 Preview installation error - This Product Key isn't a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Product Key. Check that you've entered it correctly.
- How to delete SharePoint List Item programmatically
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- Create SharePoint Site Collection using PowerShell New-SPSite
- How to create SharePoint List Item programmatically
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- SharePoint Server 2016 installation System Hardware requirements
- [Solved] SharePoint Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion
- SharePoint Designer Workflow error - Coercion Failed: Input cannot be null for this coercion
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- SharePoint 2016 error - Could not find file ManageUserProfileServiceApplicationTenantSimplified.xml
- Bypass domain name for IIS site (SharePoint)
- SharePoint PowerShell Merge-SPLogFile filter by time using StartTime EndTime
- Recover SharePoint if the SQL Server IP changes
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to enable disable SharePoint Developer Dashboard for tracing troubleshooting
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Update Created By (Author) column of SharePoint document using PowerShell
- SharePoint Server 2016 error - Failed to connect to the configuration database
- The service instance
- SharePoint Managed Metadata Hidden Taxonomy List - TaxonomyHiddenList
- Change Android Toast background color - Android
- [Solved] Dynamic Web Module 3.0 requires Java 1.6 or newer Mac OSX - Mac-OS-X
- java.lang.IllegalStateException: You need to use a Theme.AppCompat theme (or descendant) with this activity. - Android
- Android appcompat_v7 Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches the given name - Android
- SharePoint Open in the client application document opens in browser - Java
- How to redirect SharePoint Site Collection to different URL - SharePoint
- Duplicate id @+id/textView1, already defined earlier in this layout Android Error - Android
- Synchronous XMLHttpRequest on the main thread is deprecated because of its detrimental effects to the end users experience - Java
- Integrating Android Facebook SDK 3.17.2 Tutorial - Android
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct - SharePoint
- 32 css cursors web developers must know - CSS
- Failed to load resource: net::ERR_CACHE_MISS PHP - PHP
- 403 forbidden error for Image - PHP
- Struts 2 : There is no Action mapped for namespace [/] and action name [form] associated with context path [/proj] - Java
- How To Disable Landscape Mode in Android Application - Android