Users receive an error while performing a SharePoint search operation - Internal server error exception. This is the only message and rest is the standard Correlation ID information. But the Correlation ID is the most useful.Analysis and Troubleshooting
Upon reviewing the ULS logs using Correlation ID, the below error message is found. Check here - How to use Merge-SPlogfile to find logs based on Correlation ID error
SearchServiceApplication::Execute--Exception: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800703FA): Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800703FA) at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal. ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo) at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Query.KeywordQueryInternal.Execute() at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Query.QueryInternal.Execute(QueryProperties properties) at Microsoft.Office.Server.Search.Administration.SearchServiceApplication.Execute(QueryProperties properties)
This issue does not seem to be related to permissions or configuration. Sometimes this looks intermittent. It seems some registry key has been marked for deletion but still has open handles or references.
Possibly something is wrong with the Search Query component. Now the query component can be hosted on multiple servers.
An easier option would be to restart related app pool, service on all SharePoint servers.Resolution:
Follow the below steps to resolve this issue. If problem still persists, you may need to follow up with your Administrator.
- From IIS - Restart (Stop-Start) the application pool for SecurityTokenService on all SharePoint FARM servers.
- From Central Admin - Restart (Stop-Start) the Search Query and Site Settings Service on all SharePoint FARM servers hosting query component.
- Perform an IISRESET on all SharePoint servers in FARM.
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- How to wrap column text in SharePoint Online Modern List Grid View using JSON formatting
- SharePoint Server 2016 installation System Hardware requirements
- Cannot load PowerApps form in SharePoint Online due to repeated authentication
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- How to create SharePoint Document Library
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- SharePoint 2010 DataForm Unable to display this Web Part System.StackOverflowException
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- SharePoint error cannot connect to the configuration database
- Drag drop files here option missing for SharePoint document library
- How to activate and create SharePoint Spaces feature for mixed reality experience - 2D/3D images and web parts
- [Fix] Office 365 Sharepoint One Drive Error: Something went wrong. This is a temporary issue
- SharePoint 2016 error - Could not find file ManageUserProfileServiceApplicationTenantSimplified.xml
- SharePoint List excel import - This table exceeds the maximum number of supported rows
- How to customize SharePoint Modern list form using JSON formatting
- New-SPLogFile PowerShell - create new SharePoint log file
- SharePoint Online REST API not returning all list items and limit to only 100 rows
- How to Get or Set SharePoint Document ID _dlc_DocId using PowerShell
- Get-ADUser PowerShell - Get AD user details using email address
- How to list all tables using Java JDBC - Java
- Installing and using unzip Command to unzip a zip file using Terminal - Linux
- Xcode 13 - unknown error compiling for iOS 15.0 but module has a minimum deployment target of iOS 15.2 - iOS
- How to check your installed version of Git - Git
- How to open terminal on Mac to run commands - MacOS
- Fix Microsoft Teams Admin Center error - The Security zone setting isn't configured correctly - Teams
- How to change Chrome Spell Check from UK English to US English - Chrome
- Fix: TypeError: can only concatenate str (not int) to str in Python - Python