What is a SharePoint Document Library?
A SharePoint Document Library is a container for storing and accessing files. A library can be considered as a top level folder.
Document Management (DMS) is the core feature of SharePoint, for storing and organizing content. Libraries play a vital role here and help in collaboration.
A Library has below features -
- Storage - Store and organize files and folders. All type of files can be stored here - MS Office files, pdf, zip, emails, images, etc.
- Structure - Organize files into folders and sub folders.
- Metadata properties - Create Site Columns to associate additional properties and tags with files.
- Document Types - Create Content Types to define different set of properties to be attached to a document.
- Co authoring - Allows multiple users to work on a file together.
- Versioning - Maintain versions every time users edit a file, you can even restore older version.
- Check in / Check out - Lock a document while editing so other users cannot modify it.
- Permissions - Manage permissions for the entire library or individual file/folders (read, write, edit, download, approve). You can create custom access combination depending on the need.
- Download - Allow or restrict downloading of files.
- Views - Setup views to summarize list of files and properties. Additionally, you can sort, filter and group the files.
- Alerts - Setup alerts on actions like file added, modified, deleted, etc.
- Web and Mobile access - Access from anywhere using browser, mobile app.
- Sharing - Share files with internal and external users with defined access.
- Offline Access - Sync with OneDrive to access the files offline without internet connection. Changes and updates sync automatically when there is an active internet connection.
- Copy/Move file - Copy or move files to a different SharePoint library or folder.
- Integrate with external platforms - Integrate with other platforms by using REST API and Bearer Token (with client Id and client secret). Read more here.
Steps to create a SharePoint Document Library
You can create a document library in multiple ways.
1. From SharePoint site home page
- Navigate to the site home page.
- Click "New" option from the Ribbon.
- Click "Document Library".
- This will open a pane on the right side of the screen asking for details. Name - provide a name for the library
- Click Create.
- Now the library is created and you can find it under Site Contents.
Description - describe the purpose of library
Show in site navigation - select to show library in quick launch
2. From SharePoint Site contents
- Click Settings --> Site contents.
- From the Ribbon, click New --> Document library.
- Follow the same steps to create library.
3. Sharepoint App
- From Site Home page or Site contents --> click New in Ribbon --> click App.
- Click Document library.
- Follow the same steps.
4. REST APIUse REST API with .Net code, Spfx, jQuery AJAX function, or from any other language like JAVA/Python to create a document library.
This is a powerful option for developers who understand REST but not SharePoint.
5. Net CodeUse Client Side code (using client dll) or REST API with .Net code.
More Posts related to SharePoint,
- Move Copy Migrate SharePoint OneDrive files folders to different site collection location
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- How to share SharePoint site or document with all users in organization
- Get-ADUser PowerShell - Get AD user details using email address
- error CAML Query containing special characters
- Access URL for SharePoint Tenant Admin Center (Online Office 365)
- Fix SharePoint Error - The Managed Metadata Service or Connection is currently not available. The Application Pool or Managed Metadata Web Service may not have been started
- SharePoint - The URL is invalid. It may refer to a nonexistent file or folder, or refer to a valid file or folder that is not in the current Web.
- How to delete SharePoint List Item programmatically using C#.Net
- How to Share Microsoft SharePoint Site with Users or Groups
- JSON column formatting to preview SharePoint Online file on mouse hover
- SharePoint List redirect user after submitting form NewForm.aspx
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- How to create SharePoint Document Library
- How to Get or Set SharePoint Document ID _dlc_DocId using PowerShell
- How to disable SharePoint subsite creation option for owners
- PowerShell - How to use Try Catch Finally blocks for error exception handling (Windows/SharePoint)
- SharePoint error - Your organization doesn't allow sharing with users from this domain. Please contact your IT department for help. (OSE403)
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- How to wrap column text in SharePoint Online Modern List Grid View using JSON formatting
- How to extend retiring SharePoint 2010 Workflows and continue with Office 365
- Changed AD user display name showing old name in SharePoint
- How to hide or remove quick launch left navigation from SharePoint Online Modern site page
- How to enable anonymous public access for SharePoint Online site collection, file, folder without login ?
- 3 Commands to stop Nginx Server - Linux
- PHP Script to Upload Images to Server - PHP
- How to create a New Project in Visual Studio Code (VS Code) - HowTos
- [Solution] Alpine Docker apt-get: not found - Docker
- Fix: zsh: command not found: aws (Mac/macOS) - AWS
- How to run React Native App using Android Studio Emulator - Android-Studio
- Take Screenshot on Mac OS X (Keyboard Shortcuts) - Mac-OS-X
- [Android Studio] How to locate code for activity_main.xml - Android-Studio