What is a SharePoint Document Library?
A SharePoint Document Library is a container for storing and accessing files. A library can be considered as a top level folder.
Document Management (DMS) is the core feature of SharePoint, for storing and organizing content. Libraries play a vital role here and help in collaboration.
- Storage - Store and organize files and folders. All type of files can be stored here - MS Office files, pdf, zip, emails, images, etc.
- Structure - Organize files into folders and sub folders.
- Metadata properties - Create Site Columns to associate additional properties and tags with files.
- Document Types - Create Content Types to define different set of properties to be attached to a document.
- Co authoring - Allows multiple users to work on a file together.
- Versioning - Maintain versions every time users edit a file, you can even restore older version.
- Check in / Check out - Lock a document while editing so other users cannot modify it.
- Permissions - Manage permissions for the entire library or individual file/folders (read, write, edit, download, approve). You can create custom access combination depending on the need.
- Download - Allow or restrict downloading of files.
- Views - Setup views to summarize list of files and properties. Additionally, you can sort, filter and group the files.
- Alerts - Setup alerts on actions like file added, modified, deleted, etc.
- Web and Mobile access - Access from anywhere using browser, mobile app.
- Sharing - Share files with internal and external users with defined access.
- Offline Access - Sync with OneDrive to access the files offline without internet connection. Changes and updates sync automatically when there is an active internet connection.
- Copy/Move file - Copy or move files to a different SharePoint library or folder.
- Integrate with external platforms - Integrate with other platforms by using REST API and Bearer Token (with client Id and client secret). Read more here.
Steps to create a SharePoint Document Library
You can create a document library in multiple ways.
1. From SharePoint site home page
- Navigate to the site home page.
- Click "New" option from the Ribbon.
- Click "Document Library".
- This will open a pane on the right side of the screen asking for details. Name - provide a name for the library
- Click Create.
- Now the library is created and you can find it under Site Contents.
Description - describe the purpose of library
Show in site navigation - select to show library in quick launch
2. From SharePoint Site contents
- Click Settings --> Site contents.
- From the Ribbon, click New --> Document library.
- Follow the same steps to create library.
3. Sharepoint App
- From Site Home page or Site contents --> click New in Ribbon --> click App.
- Click Document library.
- Follow the same steps.
4. REST APIUse REST API with .Net code, Spfx, jQuery AJAX function, or from any other language like JAVA/Python to create a document library.
This is a powerful option for developers who understand REST but not SharePoint.
5. Net CodeUse Client Side code (using client dll) or REST API with .Net code.
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- How to generate client id and secret to register SharePoint App with OAuth
- Create SharePoint Site Collection with new Content database in existing web application
- Fix Error 2711 SQL RBS client - The installer has encountered an unexpected error. The specified Feature name ('Docs') not found in Feature table
- How to exclude results from SharePoint Search
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- [Solved] SharePoint Access Denied error editing Document Name
- Recommended size and resolution for SharePoint Online Site logo
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview - new improved Features and Enhancements
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint An unexpected error has occurred - Correlation ID and PowerShell Merge-SPlogfile
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- SharePoint CAML query error - The XML source is not correct
- How to hide quick launch in SharePoint classic site
- Not receiving email notification alert in SharePoint Online workflow - Power Automate, FLOW
- Change SharePoint search results FullTextSqlQuery RowLimit 10000
- Fix Power BI error Access to the resource is forbidden when connecting SharePoint Online List as data source
- [Fix] Restricted View permission level missing in SharePoint Online site library
- How to upload file programmatically to SharePoint Document Library using Server Object Model C# .Net
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- That did'nt work, Issue type User not in directory - SharePoint external access error
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error
- Fix Power BI 404 not found error when connecting SharePoint Online List as Data Source
- SharePoint Server 2016 IT Preview Deprecated Removed features
- SharePoint error - An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validated cryptographic algorithms..
- Java - Check if array contains the value - Java
- Telegram down in Europe - users facing connection issues and 500 Internal Server error - News
- Obsolete marquee element alternatives html5 - Html
- How to Word wrap eclipse console logs width - Eclipse
- How to hide or cancel Toast message in Android Programming - Android