What is a SharePoint Document Library?
A SharePoint Document Library is a container for storing and accessing files. A library can be considered as a top level folder.
Document Management (DMS) is the core feature of SharePoint, for storing and organizing content. Libraries play a vital role here and help in collaboration.
- Storage - Store and organize files and folders. All type of files can be stored here - MS Office files, pdf, zip, emails, images, etc.
- Structure - Organize files into folders and sub folders.
- Metadata properties - Create Site Columns to associate additional properties and tags with files.
- Document Types - Create Content Types to define different set of properties to be attached to a document.
- Co authoring - Allows multiple users to work on a file together.
- Versioning - Maintain versions every time users edit a file, you can even restore older version.
- Check in / Check out - Lock a document while editing so other users cannot modify it.
- Permissions - Manage permissions for the entire library or individual file/folders (read, write, edit, download, approve). You can create custom access combination depending on the need.
- Download - Allow or restrict downloading of files.
- Views - Setup views to summarize list of files and properties. Additionally, you can sort, filter and group the files.
- Alerts - Setup alerts on actions like file added, modified, deleted, etc.
- Web and Mobile access - Access from anywhere using browser, mobile app.
- Sharing - Share files with internal and external users with defined access.
- Offline Access - Sync with OneDrive to access the files offline without internet connection. Changes and updates sync automatically when there is an active internet connection.
- Copy/Move file - Copy or move files to a different SharePoint library or folder.
- Integrate with external platforms - Integrate with other platforms by using REST API and Bearer Token (with client Id and client secret). Read more here.
Steps to create a SharePoint Document Library
You can create a document library in multiple ways.
1. From SharePoint site home page
- Navigate to the site home page.
- Click "New" option from the Ribbon.
- Click "Document Library".
- This will open a pane on the right side of the screen asking for details. Name - provide a name for the library
- Click Create.
- Now the library is created and you can find it under Site Contents.
Description - describe the purpose of library
Show in site navigation - select to show library in quick launch
2. From SharePoint Site contents
- Click Settings --> Site contents.
- From the Ribbon, click New --> Document library.
- Follow the same steps to create library.
3. Sharepoint App
- From Site Home page or Site contents --> click New in Ribbon --> click App.
- Click Document library.
- Follow the same steps.
4. REST APIUse REST API with .Net code, Spfx, jQuery AJAX function, or from any other language like JAVA/Python to create a document library.
This is a powerful option for developers who understand REST but not SharePoint.
5. Net CodeUse Client Side code (using client dll) or REST API with .Net code.
- error CAML Query containing special characters
- [Solved] SharePoint Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion
- Trigger Flow on selected Listitem from SharePoint view - create button with JSON column formatting
- SharePoint Excel error - The workbook cannot be opened because it contains the following features that are not supported by Excel in the browser
- Send Email with attachment using SharePoint PowerShell, SMTP server
- How to show or hide columns in SharePoint Online List Library from
- SharePoint excel error - A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator.
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- Special character & not working with SharePoint REST API
- How to disable SharePoint subsite creation option for owners
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- Deploy SharePoint wsp solution package using PowerShell
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- How to enable anonymous public access for SharePoint Online site collection, file, folder without login ?
- SharePoint installation error - Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error This product requires Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5
- How to add animated Gif to SharePoint Online Page
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- How to create SharePoint Document Library
- SharePoint - Use Today's Date Time in list view filter and calculated column
- How to redirect SharePoint Site Collection to different URL
- SharePoint error cannot connect to the configuration database
- How to make TextEdit the default text Editor on Mac - MacOS
- Test Timeout using JUnit 4 with examples - Java
- What is Terminal Velocity and its Formula? How to calculate it programmatically? - Python
- Fix - 412 Cookies Are Disabled error in Exchange Admin Center when you click hybrid - Microsoft
- Pass data between two Android Activities and access it using Intent - Android
- Python Sleep Function/Method Code Example - Python
- List of All 35 Reserved Keywords in Python Programming Language 3.11 - Python
- [Fix] brew: command not found Mac or Linux Terminal Error - MacOS