If you are using custom C# .Net code to connect to SharePoint Online (Microsoft 365) and suddenly start receiving error message "The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.", you have reached the right place, lets fix this together.
You may also see a trace with message "Authentication failed because the remote party has closed the transport stream."
This could be a connection failue from Azure App Service to SharePoint, or custom .Net code (Task Schedular / Windows Service / Console) to SharePoint.
⚠️ Why connection failed at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse() ?Most probably, you may be using TLS 1.0 or 1.1 with .Net Framework 4.0 or 4.5 in your C# code.
This is a common problem for legacy applications.
The Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.0 and 1.1 protocols are deprecated for the Microsoft 365 services. There was temporarily halt due to COVID-19 situation, but TLS 1.2 enforcement is now rolling out.
⭐ What is TLS (Transport Layer Security) ?Office client relies on Windows web service (WINHTTP) to send and receive traffic over TLS protocols.
Transport Layer Security (TLS) secures communication between computers, most commonly with Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS). Older protocol versions of TLS are less secure than TLS 1.2 and TLS 1.3 and are more likely to have new vulnerabilities.
Older protocols should be avoided to minimize risk and deprecated security protocols should not be used.
By default, .Net Framework 4.5.1 uses TLS 1.0. Does not matter if the platform supports newer TLS protocol versions. Due to this reason, your custom application cannot connect to SharePoint Online and throws connection exception.
⭐ How to enable TLS 1.2 in C# code ?
- Upgrade your application to .NET Framework 4.7.* or newer so it automatically uses TLS 1.2 by default. This is not the easiest approach and may require re-compiling the application.
- Manually force the code to use TLS1.2 protocol (System.Net.Http.HttpClient)
- Manually specify in code to use either of the TLS protocols (preferred approach)
- Update the associated configuration file to use the strongest available cryptography
- Update the associate configuration file to use TLS 1.2 by changing the target framework runtime
ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol = SecurityProtocolType.Tls12;
ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol = ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol Or SecurityProtocolType.Tls12 And Not (SecurityProtocolType.Ssl3 Or SecurityProtocolType.Tls Or SecurityProtocolType.Tls11)
ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol = (SecurityProtocolType)768 | (SecurityProtocolType)3072
ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol = SecurityProtocolType.Tls Or SecurityProtocolType.Ssl3
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <configuration> <runtime> <AppContextSwitchOverrides value="Switch.System.Net.DontEnableSystemDefaultTlsVersions=false"/> </runtime> </configuration>
<configuration> <system.web> <compilation targetFramework="4.5.1" /> <httpRuntime targetFramework="4.7.2"/> </system.web> </configuration>
⚡️ .NET frameworks and TLS support
- .NET 4.6 and above - Supports TLS 1.2 by default. Upgrade code to this version if possible, this is a long term solution.
works well, no changes needed
ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol = SecurityProtocolType.Tls12
ServicePointManager.SecurityProtocol = (SecurityProtocolType)3072;
no workaround, only upgrade is a solution
Have Questions? Post them here!
- SharePoint error - Your organization doesn't allow sharing with users from this domain. Please contact your IT department for help. (OSE403)
- Restore deleted Office 365 SharePoint group site
- SharePoint error cannot connect to the configuration database
- How to open SharePoint Online Modern SPFX links in new tab
- Show Hide SharePoint column in List Library form with the conditional formula
- SharePoint Server 2016 installation System Hardware requirements
- SharePoint installation - Appfabric installation failed because installer MSI returned with error code:1603
- SharePoint installation error - Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error This product requires Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5
- Get count of SharePoint List or Document Library Items using PowerShell
- Sign in as different user missing in SharePoint 2013, how to enable
- Android : java.lang.IllegalArgumentException File contains a path separator - Android
- Calculate Volume of Cylinder - C-Program
- How to add hint text in bootstrap input text field and text area - Bootstrap
- Android Studio emulator/Device logCat logs not displayed - Android-Studio
- Copy file from one directory to other in Php - PHP
- Calculate Volume of Ellipsoid - C-Program
- AVD Pixel_2_API_15 is already running. [Android Studio] - Android-Studio
- SharePoint 2010 August 2015 Update KB3055049 - Duplicate Document ID issue bug fixed - SharePoint
- Get Browser Screen Width and Height dynamically using jquery - jQuery
- Multiple line editing in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- Merge-SPlogfile PowerShell - SharePoint Correlation ID error - SharePoint
- SharePoint Server 2016 Preview installation error - This Product Key isn't a valid Microsoft Office 2016 Product Key. Check that you've entered it correctly. - SharePoint
- How to kill tomcat server process using Mac Terminal Command - Tomcat
- Detect Data roaming in Android Application - Android