The LinkedList class in Java provides two methods offer and add to add an element to the list.
There is a subtle difference between both of them.
The add method
The add method is inherited from the List interface. It returns a boolean value to indicate whether the element was successfully added to the list or not.
Also, you will get an IllegalStateException if the list is at its capacity.
The offer method
The offer method is defined in the Queue Interface. It was added to the Queue interface in Java 1.5
It returns a boolean value indicating whether the element was successfully added to the queue or not.
offer method will return a boolean false if the queue is at its capacity instead of an exception.
|Method||Interface||Returns||Exception||When to Use|
|add(e)||List||boolean||IllegalStateException if the list is full||Using the LinkedList as a List to check if the element was successfully added|
|offer(e)||Queue||boolean||boolean false if the queue is full||Using LinkedList as a Queue or for interchanging implementations of the Queue interface|
Have Questions? Post them here!
- Create a Zip file using Java Code programmatically
- Eclipse : A java Runtime Environment (JRE) or Java Development kit (JDK) must be available
- How to Sort a LinkedList in Java
- Loading class com.mysql.jdbc.Driver. This is deprecated. The new driver class is com.mysql.cj.jdbc.Driver
- How to declare and initialize Array in Java Programming
- [Fix] java: integer number too large compilation error
- Java JDBC Connection with MySQL Driver in VS Code + Troubleshooting
- Reading .xls and .xlsx Excel file using Apache POI Java Library
- IntelliJ: Error: Could not find or load main class, java.lang.ClassNotFoundException
- How to get Client IP address using Java Code Example
- Truncate table using Java JDBC Example
- Struts 2 : There is no Action mapped for namespace [/] and action name [form] associated with context path [/proj]
- How to get file path in Idea IntelliJ IDE
- Java Generics explained with simple definition and examples
- Java SE 8 Update 301 available with various bug fixes and security improvements
- Java: Collect Stream as ArrayList or LinkedList
- Java JDBC Connection with PostgreSQL Driver Example
- How to check if Java main thread is alive
- How to fix Java nio NoSuchFileException wile reading a file
- Java 8+ get Day of the Week Examples with LocalDateTime, DateTime, ZonalDateTime and Instant classes
- Ways to Convert Integer or int to Long in Java
- [Java] How to throws Exception using Functional Interface and Lambda code
- [Fix] Spring Boot: mysql.cj.jdbc.exceptions.CommunicationsException: Communications link failure
- Java: The value of the local variable string is not used
- Java JDBC: Insert Java 8 LocalDate and Time using PreparedStatement
- Cannot create new Microsoft Team using PowerShell, even as Admin - Teams
- Program 7: Find Difference of Two Numbers - 1000+ Python Programs - Python-Programs
- How to start/boot macOS in safe mode - Big Sur 11.0, Catalina 10.15, or Mojave 10.14 - MacOS
- JDBCTemplate Querying Examples with Spring Boot 3 - Java
- [Mac] To open Eclipse you need to install the legacy java se 6 runtime - Mac-OS-X
- John Robert Lewis dies at 80 - News
- Delete Android Studio Projects - Android-Studio
- How to turn off Stage Manager - macOS Ventura - MacOS