You might be working on a file that is important to you and do not want to mess it up, the best thing to do is backup the file and then do what you want to do just to be on the safe side, lets see example of how to do this using Linux/Unix command,
Option 1: Backup a file using cp command as a new file
# cat my-important-file.txt This is one of my very important text file.
As you can see I have a file that I want to change, but before change it I want to take a backup of It, lets do that using the cp command,
# cp my-important-file.txt my-important-file-backup.txt
As you can see using the copy command, I took a backup of the file my-important-file.txt in a new file that I named as my-important-file-backup.txt, now lets see if the content of the file is same or not,
cat my-important-file-backup.txt This is one of my very important text file.
Option 2: Backup a file with the same name at a different location
# cp my-important-file.txt /home/ # cd /home/ # ls my-important-file.txt # cat my-important-file.txt This is one of my very important text file.
- [Fix] Linux - bash: useradd: command not found
- Calculate days between dates using dateutils ddiff command
- pwd Command - Print Working Directory
- Rename a directory using Linux/Unix command
- How to go to the End of File in Nano Editor
- How to tar.gz a directory or folder Command
- How to remove/delete a directory in Linux/macOs
- How to Display content of a file in Terminal Screen?
- ls command sort by file size [Linix/UNIX/macOS/bash]
- How to Copy Entire Directory to another Directory in Linux
- 3 ways to clear screen on Linux Terminal
- Command to check Last Login or Reboot History of Users and TTYs
- How to check uptime of Linux/Unix/macOS system/server using console command?
- How to backup a file in Linux/Unix
- Command to know the installed Debian version?
- Check SSH/OpenSSH version Command
- 3 Commands to stop Nginx Server
- Linux: Create a New User and Password and Login Example
- How to install npm on Ubuntu
- How to List All Users in Linux
- How to Get the List of Shells on Linux
- Fix - ssh-copy-id no identities found error
- Installing and using unzip Command to unzip a zip file using Terminal
- scp: ssh: connect to host xxxx port 22: Connection refused Error
- zsh hello world example
- Using Document Map in Notepad++ - NotepadPlusPlus
- Convert JSON to XML using Java Jackson Library - Java
- Fix Something went wrong 0xCAA20004 [Microsoft Teams] - Teams
- How to know file encoding in Microsoft Windows Notepad? - Microsoft
- How to add Back Button on Toolbar in Android [Tutorial] - Android
- [fix] Error response from daemon: conflict unable to remove repository reference ubuntu container is using its referenced image - Docker
- Fix NVIDIA GeForce Experience ERROR CODE 0x0003 - HowTos
- How to save a file as csv in Windows Notepad? - Microsoft