Legacy SharePoint versions have provided the capability to create a custom list using excel file. This feature is enhanced a bit in SharePoint Online Modern interface and helps importing your excel data into a custom list with all required columns in a matter of few minutes.
You can choose the excel file either from your site or upload from your computer/laptop.
Steps to create custom list from excel spreadsheet
Make sure you define a table in excel which has the data, including headers/columns. You need to define tables to import as a list.
- Navigate to you SharePoint site (modern interface).
- Go to Settings --> Site Contents.
- Click New --> List (you can also do this from the modern home page).
- Click From Excel.
- List name - Enter a name for your new list.
- Show in site navigation - Yes/No.
- Choose file location
- 'Choose a file already on this site' - if the excel spreadsheet is present in a Documents library
- Upload file - to upload from device. The Excel file will be uploaded to the Site Assets library. If the Upload file button is greyed out, you don't have permission to create a list from a spreadsheet.
- Next, you will be asked to 'Select a table form this file' - there could be multiple tables, select the one you want to use.
- If there are no tables defined in your excel, you will see a message 'You don't have any tables defined in this file. You need to define tables to import as a list.'.
Follow the on screen instructions to define a table and select required cells
- Open the excel document
- Select the cells to include
- Select the data, and click 'Format as Table'
- After saving, return here and click 'Refresh'
- Check the column types below and choose a new type if the current selection is incorrect - Inspect and select column type for each of your header/column, leave default or select do not import.
- Click Create and your list is ready.
Few important points to consider
- Format and define Tables in the Excel, excel without tables cannot be imported.
- Restrict excel rows to 20000. If there are more entries, you will receive a message 'This table exceeds the maximum number of supported rows'.
- Excel should not have empty rows.
- Use Quick Edit to add more entries to the list, that's the most convenient.
- Title column is always mandatory. Choose your Title column wisely.
- Column chosen as Title field cannot have blank values. If there are blank values, you will receive a message 'An error occurred while creating your items. Title: You must specify a value for this required field'.
- You need to manually add values to choice column.
- Once rows imported to SharePoint list, you can work directly with List settings like versioning, views, filters, workflows, etc.
- 32-bit browser like Microsoft Edgeis recommended as this feature relies on ActiveX filtering. But it will work with other browsers like Microsoft Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox as well.
There are other options like copying excel data in Quick Edit mode or even import directly from Excel, but the "Import Spreadsheet" is the most convenient and quick one.
- error CAML Query containing special characters
- [Solved] SharePoint Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion
- Trigger Flow on selected Listitem from SharePoint view - create button with JSON column formatting
- SharePoint Excel error - The workbook cannot be opened because it contains the following features that are not supported by Excel in the browser
- Send Email with attachment using SharePoint PowerShell, SMTP server
- How to show or hide columns in SharePoint Online List Library from
- SharePoint excel error - A problem occurred while connecting to the server. If the problem continues, contact your administrator.
- How to get SharePoint Online user details from person or group column using REST API
- How to get SharePoint List Item URL using PowerShell
- How to get the SharePoint Tenant Login URL
- Special character & not working with SharePoint REST API
- How to disable SharePoint subsite creation option for owners
- Managed Metadata error - The data returned from the tagging UI was not formatted correctly
- Deploy SharePoint wsp solution package using PowerShell
- How to create classic site in SharePoint Online
- See actual SharePoint error exception modify web.config
- 'Edit Document' Requires a Windows Sharepoint Services-compatible application and Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher
- How to enable anonymous public access for SharePoint Online site collection, file, folder without login ?
- SharePoint installation error - Setup is unable to proceed due to the following error This product requires Microsoft .Net Framework 4.5
- How to add animated Gif to SharePoint Online Page
- [Solved] SharePoint Search Internal server error exception
- How to create SharePoint Document Library
- SharePoint - Use Today's Date Time in list view filter and calculated column
- How to redirect SharePoint Site Collection to different URL
- SharePoint error cannot connect to the configuration database
- How to use SCP Command to Copy Directory - Linux
- How to enable missing SharePoint Site Assets, Site Pages library App - SharePoint
- How to Undo-Revert Sent Email in Google Gmail - Google
- AutoSave button not working on Office on Mac (Word, Excel or Powerpoint) - MacOS
- List of Java JDK Versions till Year 2023 with LTS Support Included - Java
- Display (Show) bookmarks bar Safari - HowTos
- [fix] openssl No such file or directory error C++ - Ubuntu
- How to run .bat file on Mac - MacOS