There is no Print Screen button on a Mac Keyboard as you may find on Windows, but there are some advanced options available that we can use to capture screens. You need to press certain key combinations in order to take a screenshot.
Here is how you can take a screenshot on a Mac OS X (like what we call print screen on Windows)
To capture complete Window
Command Key (⌘) + Shift + 3
This will take a screenshot of the entire window (just like print screen works for Windows) and you will find the screenshot on the Mac desktop.
To capture the selected portion of the screen
Command Key (⌘) + Shift + 4
When you press these combination keys a plus sign will appear with x and y to coordinate indicators, you can simply select the area that you want to capture, again the screenshot will be available on the Mac desktop.
To capture an Application window
Command Key (⌘) + Shift + 4 , then hit space-bar
When you press 3 combination keys a plus sign will appear, then press space-bar, a Camera icon will appear when you click your mouse button, only the active window screen will be captured, the screenshot will be saved
You would see that when you press any of the key combinations you hear a click sound and the screenshot image is stored by default on the desktop with a format Screen Shot YYYY-MM-DD at HH.MM.SS AM/PM with a .png extension (example Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 1.17.56 pm)
If you want that the image should be copied to the Clipboard instead of being saved, you have the following key combinations to press.
To capture complete window and Save as Clipboard
Command Key (⌘) + Control(^) + Shift + 3This will take a screenshot of the entire window (just like print screen works for Windows) and you will copy it to the Clipboard.
To capture the selected portion of the screen and Save as Clipboard
Command Key (⌘) + Shift + 4When you press these combination keys a plus sign will appear with x and y to coordinate indicators, you can simply select the area that you want to capture, again the screenshot will be copied to Clipboard.
To capture an Application window Save as Clipboard
Command Key (⌘) + Shift + 4 , then hit spacebar
When you press 3 combination keys a plus sign will appear, then press the spacebar, a Camera icon will appear when you click your mouse button, only the active window screen will be captured, the screenshot will be saved to Clipboard
Have Questions? Post them here!
- Location of eclipse.ini file on Mac OS X
- How to enable Do Not Disturb mode for Notification Center in Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite
- Save webpage as pdf in Google Chrome for Mac OS X
- Spell check not working in Gmail : Mac OS X
- [Mac] To open Eclipse you need to install the legacy java se 6 runtime
- Mac OS X Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine
- Transfer files between Android and Mac OS X using usb cable
- Mac Studio Display Buzzing sound from the Monitor
- Kill or force quit stuck application or process in Mac OS X
- Take Screenshot on Mac OS X (Keyboard Shortcuts)
- vi undo redo command [Examples]
- Spotlight Search file path location on Mac OS X Mavericks or Yosemite
- Find Java JRE Installation location Mac OS X
- Take Screenshots on Mac OS without Keyboard
- How to See Hidden Folders and Files on macOS
- How to Setup maven on Mac (macOS)
- osascript wants to make changes while Android Studio Installation on Mac OS X
- Remove Applications from Startup Mac OS X
- Have you noticed MacOS Ventura About this Mac look like Mac OS X
- Find the location of Spotlight searched file
- Mac OS X Taking Screen Capture using Terminal
- Safari appends .html extension to files that are downloaded
- Open New tab using keyboard shortcut in Mac Terminal
- Mac OS X Stuck During Booting Gray Screen Logo and Spinner
- Disable Chrome Notification bell from Mac OS X menu bar
- [fix] Java JDBC SQLSyntaxErrorException: Unknown database - Java
- New-SPLogFile PowerShell - create new SharePoint log file - SharePoint
- Android: Unknown error code during application install : - Android
- Java JDBC Transition Management using PreparedStatement Examples - Java
- fix macOS: The digital signature on the update is missing or invalid. Ventura - MacOS
- How to redirect SharePoint Site Collection to different URL - SharePoint
- How to lock cells in Microsoft Excel for Mac - Windows
- How to URL Decode a Query String in Python - Python